Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can anyone defend Hopkins in the “who ducked who” wars for Roy?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by adamdoyle View Post
    Hahahahahah Bushbaby gonna be mad.......... Ye it's true , Hopkins gets all this credit for beating the like of Trinidad and De La Hoya....I NEVER got what was so great about him
    Whether you like him or not, then or now... hes always been a stylistic nightmare to get in the ring with. The fact that at this age (now the oldest champ ever) is enough to make him an ATG! Most title defenses at middleweight makes him ruler of the division even though his most notable wins there were against fighters who were never true middleweights (DLH and Trinidad). The debate of calling out Roy for a 50\50 split wasnt a form of ducking him. Simply an ego thing. i agree he should have taken the 60\40 counter offer roy gave him but im sure hopkins thought his resume spoke volumes at the time where he was the biggest name roy could fight. This is the prime example of two great fighters whos egos were so high that any money offered on the table wouldnt had been enough to get them inside the ring. It was about who deserved more! It didnt matter that fighting each other at that time would have made them the highest guarantee for both fighters. Wow is history repeating itself? Sounds too familiar. Is Floyd really scared to fight pac or does he simply think im the man. I dictate to you my terms and not the other way around? The way to look at both legacies is that roy in his prime was the greatest bar none but longetivity was hopkins specialty. The last couple of years hopkins has suprisingly added to his legacy while jones has diminished it. Ive always said that if roy would have retired after the ruiz win for the heavyweoght scrap or even after defeating tarver the first time, he would have been considered top three best ever!

Comment

Hopkins only wanted to fight WWs.

Comment

I’m not taking anything away from B-Hop he had a great career, and still might have a better one, but his fans are crazy if they don’t see this, how can you guys say B-Hop didn’t make this fight because of his ego but was willing to offer Roy a 50/50 split in 2010 when Roy definitely didn’t deserve that. Those actions there show me B-Hop knew what could happen to him in 01-02

Comment

In fact they were both arguing over the radio and Bernard was now in the rightful position and told roy 60/40 or no fight and Roy wasn’t taking it, after that B-Hop gives Jones the 50/50 anyway, this is the guy with the big ego?

Comment

so hopkins was fair enought to do 50/50 and roy wasn't? not getting ur point.

Comment

Originally posted by THE ИATAS View Post
              so hopkins was fair enought to do 50/50 and roy wasn't? not getting ur point.
              Fair? Roy didn’t deserve that, Hopkins didn’t think so either yet that what they settled on in 2010, yet Hopkins in 2001 Hopkins gets a fair deal and turns that down, no fight made. Makes me think Hopkins never wanted the fight and his ego isn’t as big as you guys are claiming. Understand now?

Comment

Originally posted by pturtle View Post
                For someone who is not a big fan of B-Hop you sure seem compelled to defend him not matter what, bringing every other thing up, at the end of the day, at that time, Roy was making money only Bernard could dream of at the time, Roy had much better wins, bigger name, bigger draw, best fighter in the world, being the biggest draw in the world doesn’t matter when your in negotiations with a guy who couldn’t sell out in his own hometown. During THAT time Bernard was offered a very good deal and turned it down. I don’t know why you guys keep bringing up other things like Bernard’s managers and promoters robbing him, or Roy not being the biggest ppv attraction at the time. B-Hop fans are just as bad as Floyd’s and Pac’s and whatever else group there is I see
                give dude a leg to stand on will ya...he just beat the #2 cash cow behind de la hoya, which was felix trindad, in the middleweight tournment, unified the titles, i believe he had tied my boy hagler in title defenses, dude was on top of his game and he felt he should get equal parity with roy jones jr...you think he cared about what the roy jones jr fanboys felt?

and dude do you read? yeah i said "at that time", everybody thought bernard hopkins should have accepted roy jones jr's offer after calling him out, but nobody knew actually what was on the table, or even cared....you ask me that same question right now in 2012, and i say, as a person who does business himself, 40% of what? as if you actually read the agreement....lol

apparently, he had a good reason for turning it down from a business standpoint...you don't have to be the biggest bernard hopkins fan, to see that dude was looking out for himself from a business perspective...people who do business on any level, who either get paid, or ripped off, based on what they put their john han**** on, understand this...apparently you don't

i made my point, and made it stick by bringing up the fact that even george foreman said that they should split the purse, and make the fight...

Comment

Originally posted by djtmal View Post
                  give dude a leg to stand on will ya...he just beat the #2 cash cow behind de la hoya, which was felix trindad, in the middleweight tournment, unified the titles, i believe he had tied my boy hagler in title defenses, dude was on top of his game and he felt he should get equal parity with roy jones jr...you think he cared about what the roy jones jr fanboys felt?

and dude do you read? yeah i said "at that time", everybody thought bernard hopkins should have accepted roy jones jr's offer after calling him out, but nobody knew actually what was on the table, or even cared....you ask me that same question right now in 2012, and i say, as a person who does business himself, 40% of what? as if you actually read the agreement....lol

apparently, he had a good reason for turning it down from a business standpoint...you don't have to be the biggest bernard hopkins fan, to see that dude was looking out for himself from a business perspective...people who do business on any level, who either get paid, or ripped off, based on what they put their john han**** on, understand this...apparently you don't

i made my point, and made it stick by bringing up the fact that even george foreman said that they should split the purse, and make the fight...
                  You keep saying something about a business stand point but what if it wasn’t that? I’m sure if Roy was just giving him 40 percent but no revenue and no ppv that would have been leaked by not by Hopkins. I can see your one of those Philly fanboys. Did Hopkins get 50/50 vs Trinidad? Or How about De La Hoya?
                  He took those fights though.To me I also think those 2 men were solid wins for him smaller men or not but his reasoning for not fighting Roy as far we understand is a bit shaky.

Comment

Originally posted by pturtle View Post
                    at that time, Roy was making money only Bernard could dream of at the time, Roy had much better wins, bigger name, bigger draw, best fighter in the world, being the biggest draw in the world doesn’t matter when your in negotiations with a guy who couldn’t sell out in his own hometown.
                    ok man i see you are on roy jones jr.'s nutsack quite hard...roy jones jr., yeah in his prime he was a boxing magician and all, but come on, he had a cushy deal with hbo, getting millions to fight a boatload of easy fights, mixed in with a few tough ones, but no real threats until tarver...real talk...pernell whitaker, who was the former p4p, fought way tougher opponents than roy jones, without the cushy hbo deal...real talk again...

real talk...only thing that roy jones jr., had over bernard hopkins in a 60-40 split, was the mediocre points win, and he held tight to that trump card...

Comment

• Originally posted by pturtle View Post
                      You keep saying something about a business stand point but what if it wasn’t that? I’m sure if Roy was just giving him 40 percent but no revenue and no ppv that would have been leaked by not by Hopkins. I can see your one of those Philly fanboys. Did Hopkins get 50/50 vs Trinidad? Or How about De La Hoya?
                      He took those fights though.To me I also think those 2 men were solid wins for him smaller men or not but his reasoning for not fighting Roy as far we understand is a bit shaky.
                      that's what I said earlier, hopkins said when he received the contract it was way less than 60/40, so without u or anyone else on here seeing or knowing what was in the contract makes the arguement pointless.

Comment

Working...
                      X