Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who do you guys would win if Cotto-Martinez met at 154?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
    He weighs on average 157/158 at weigh-ins. Its 3/4lbs. Its not nearly as big a deal as certain people are trying to make out.
    Yeah but when you're already dried out, havent eaten in two days, and have had a few sips of water in 2 days... 3/4 lbs is huge.

And if he makes 154, why not 150? Thats only 3/4 lbs more... and if he can make that, why not 147? Thats only 3 more lbs.

Where does it stop.

It just depends on how dried out he is at that 159lb weigh in.

Martinez looked like he had 4% body fat at 159... 5 more lbs would be considerably hard.

Comment

He weighs on average 157/158 at weigh-ins. Its 3/4lbs. Its not nearly as big a deal as certain people are trying to make out.
      3 or 4 pounds could be a lot if you don't have an ounce more to give~

Everything is relative, and that weight could change everything for him especially when added on to the natural aging process, which Sergio is already defying.

Believe whatever you want though, I don't really care what you think but if they fight at 154 I hope all you saying Cotto gets murdered lay money down so I get quality odds on Cotto~

Comment

@154, being 38 and going down to a weight in which he hasn't fought in like four years, I think Cotto comes in with the jab and takes a hard earned SD/tight UD. Cotto isn't as flat footed as Junior who just made it easy for Martinez. Cotto will throw 60-70 punches and have most of his punches land when coming from a jab. I think Cotto would be a fresher fighter and he's by far the best fighter he would have ever fought, at 54, I don't like Martinez in it

@160, I think Martinez ****s him so bad that retirement is clearly in order

Comment

Sergio could certainly prove me wrong he is a great fighter, but even though I am not from Missouri "Show me" and then I will believe he can make 154 no problem.

Comment

People thinking speed is a huge factor for Sergio are idiots. He's fast compared to MW, Cotto might be a little slower but only with his handspeed. Dirk is a dumbass and doesn't know **** saying Cotto is flatfooted, his quick and agile on his feet with great balance.

Sergio does not have a higher boxing IQ or is nearly as good as a ring general as Cotto is. Pavlik showed he can be outboxed and he probably would have won that fight if he wasn't drunk at the time.

Sergio can't fight on the inside and Cotto has shown he can get inside on anyone he wants. It's also where he is most effective and has most of his power.

Reach/power will be Sergio's biggest assets in this fight and it's the only reason it is really close because Cotto's is small for JMW and doesn't have a great chin after 8 or 9 rounds especially. Stylistically people saying it's bad for Cotto are the same dumbasses who think Trout and Foreman were bad for the same reason. Cotto aside from Mayweather wins and KO's most guys who try to stay on the "outside" with Cotto. You need to be high volume and tons of pressure to beat Cotto which Sergio is not. Plus... Sergio is pretty easy to hit actually, it happens when you leave you hands low.

Comment

Originally posted by JmH Reborn View Post
              @154, being 38 and going down to a weight in which he hasn't fought in like four years, I think Cotto comes in with the jab and takes a hard earned SD/tight UD. Cotto isn't as flat footed as Junior who just made it easy for Martinez. Cotto will throw 60-70 punches and have most of his punches land when coming from a jab. I think Cotto would be a fresher fighter and he's by far the best fighter he would have ever fought, at 54, I don't like Martinez in it

@160, I think Martinez ****s him so bad that retirement is clearly in order
              What he said.

Comment

Didnt we think that about Floyd when he signed to fight at 144lbs? Howd that turn out.

After awhile that weight is harder and harder to take off with out affecting you fight night.

His last 7 fights have been at MW. And at almost 40 Unless hes superman it will affect him. How much remains to be seen.

Comment

Originally posted by THE REED™ View Post
                  Yeah but when you're already dried out, havent eaten in two days, and have had a few sips of water in 2 days... 3/4 lbs is huge.

And if he makes 154, why not 150? Thats only 3/4 lbs more... and if he can make that, why not 147? Thats only 3 more lbs.

Where does it stop.

It just depends on how dried out he is at that 159lb weigh in.

Martinez looked like he had 4% body fat at 159... 5 more lbs would be considerably hard.
                  It stops at 154. He only moved up to get bigger fights not because he had to move up. I really don't see it being as big an issue as people are making it out to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Beater_of_ass View Post
                    People thinking speed is a huge factor for Sergio are idiots. He's fast compared to MW, Cotto might be a little slower but only with his handspeed. Dirk is a dumbass and doesn't know **** saying Cotto is flatfooted, his quick and agile on his feet with great balance.

Sergio does not have a higher boxing IQ or is nearly as good as a ring general as Cotto is. Pavlik showed he can be outboxed and he probably would have won that fight if he wasn't drunk at the time.

Sergio can't fight on the inside and Cotto has shown he can get inside on anyone he wants. It's also where he is most effective and has most of his power.

Reach/power will be Sergio's biggest assets in this fight and it's the only reason it is really close because Cotto's is small for JMW and doesn't have a great chin after 8 or 9 rounds especially. Stylistically people saying it's bad for Cotto are the same dumbasses who think Trout and Foreman were bad for the same reason. Cotto aside from Mayweather wins and KO's most guys who try to stay on the "outside" with Cotto. You need to be high volume and tons of pressure to beat Cotto which Sergio is not. Plus... Sergio is pretty easy to hit actually, it happens when you leave you hands low.
                    Good post...........

Comment

Originally posted by Cigarillo View Post
                      Didnt we think that about Floyd when he signed to fight at 144lbs? Howd that turn out.

After awhile that weight is harder and harder to take off with out affecting you fight night.

His last 7 fights have been at MW. And at almost 40 Unless hes superman it will affect him. How much remains to be seen.
                      I don't think he ever had any intention of making 144. Plus he was off two years or whatever. Not the same situation.

I remember people were saying this **** before the Williams rematch. "OMG he weighs 176, he's gonna be drained at 157 especially at his age"

Didn't matter one bit.

Comment

Working...
                      X