MAYWEATHER vs. MARTINEZ vs. ALVAREZ: Let's Discuss Weight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cigarillo View Post
    Because I can.

Second Im trying to see Wards weight because Im sure that Junior was heavier then Ward or atleast the same weight. Martinez CAN fight Ward.
    Umm grats? Martinez CAN fight Floyd too.

Comment

Originally posted by Califas View Post
      Umm grats? Martinez CAN fight Floyd too.
      Im not playing this game with you. Martinez hasnt been a 160 pounder going on 4 years now. Enough.

Comment

Im not playing this game with you. Martinez hasnt been a 160 pounder going on 4 years now. Enough.
        Completely avoided the statement.

Floyd CAN fight Martinez. enough with your childish bickering and defending of someone you don't even know.

Comment

Fight aint happening.

Floyd got hit too often against Cotto. No way in hell is he ever going to step into the ring against Sergio.

Comment

Because I can.

Second Im trying to see Wards weight because Im sure that Junior was heavier then Ward or atleast the same weight. Martinez CAN fight Ward.
            But he wouldn't.

I love Maravilla. Love him. But has he called out any skilled fighters in higher divisions?

If I was Sergio, I would do the same. Fight big-name welterweights. It's the Bernard Hopkins model.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
              Both fought at 154.

Both can fight at 154.

Nothing to discuss.

People need to stop desperately trying to conjure up new excuses for why this fight shouldn't happen.
              You are totally missing the point.

The discussion isn't if Floyd can fight Sergio at 154 (he can). The question is what is the problem with saying Martinez should fight Ward at 168 or a CW if we also say Floyd should fight him. The size difference between Floyd-Martinez is LARGER than the size difference between Ward-Martinez.

Comment

Originally posted by SkillspayBills View Post
                You are totally missing the point.

The discussion isn't if Floyd can fight Sergio at 154 (he can). The question is what is the problem with saying Martinez should fight Ward at 168 or a CW if we also say Floyd should fight him. The size difference between Floyd-Martinez is LARGER than the size difference between Ward-Martinez.
                Sergio could move up and fight Ward. But he doesn't have to. He's not mandated to. Whereas Mayweather is mandated to fight guys at 154 cos that's where he's currently campaigning.

If Ward moved down to 160 (like Sergio is willing to move down to 154) then I'd say Sergio SHOULD fight Ward.

Comment

Originally posted by Gino Ros View Post
                  I keep seeing people say that Sergio is "a small middleweight". Let's examine his size.

On August 14th, at the WBC 30-day weigh-in, Sergio Martinez was 174 pounds.

That is an in-shape and training Sergio. 174 pounds.

Just for grins, Mayweather's 30-day weight for the Ortiz fight was 149 pounds. Ortiz was 157.4. Floyd weighed in at 151 for Cotto (after drinking a quart of Gatorade. Vid below, see @7:28)

At the 7-day weigh-in for Chavez-Martinez, when Sergio was cutting to make weight, he was 167 pounds.

At this point, Maravilla is no longer really a 154-pounder. And, in truth, not a particularly small middleweight. (For comparison, Saul Alvarez' 30-day weight for Knockout Kingz was 167 pounds)

Now, I have no problem with Money May vs Maravilla Martinez at 154. In fact, that's a fight I'd really like to see. But Sergio Martinez is fully 2-3 weight divisions bigger than Floyd and Manny at this point. Sergio is MUCH closer in size to Andre Ward than to May & Pac.

I agree with you, and Ward also isn't bigger for SMW, have an average size for division

Comment

I go by the official weigh of the fight not weigh ins 7 days or 30 days before the fight. On those 7 or 30 days before the fight weigh ins a fighter only has to be below the allowed limits. If they know they are well below the limit they may have a quart of gator aid and a steak dinner before they weigh in. There is no way to know. Floyd is famous for staying at or near his fighting weight year round. Most fighters don't do that. Floyd could not make 144 for Marquez years ago. I think he is a full welterweight now. Martinez was fighting at 154 at age 34 with no problems. He only went to 160 because he was offered a middleweight tittle fight. Fighters don't usually grow bigger at age 34. He weighed 157.5 for his fight with Macklin and that tells me he is a small middleweight that could still go to 154. I think Ward has more size on Martinez than Martinez has on Floyd. Alvarez is a perfect 154. He makes weight easily. He is to big for 147 and to small for 160 although I think he could beat most middleweights. If Floyd wants to stay at his true fighting weight of 147 I have no problem with that as long as he gives up his 154 pound tittle.Just my opinion.

Comment

And Martinez is how many divisions away from Ward, Froch and Dirrell?
                      and who has ever asked Ward to fight at 160 , like I , Martinez fan , want Martinez to go down to fight Cotto or Mayweather ?

If Ward can go down to fight Martinez , I prefer to watch Martinez vs Ward over any other fight in the world
                      the credit of beating the undefeated young Ward is much more than beating Cotto or old Mayweather

Comment

Working...
                      X