No announcement yet.

MAYWEATHER vs. MARTINEZ vs. ALVAREZ: Let's Discuss Weight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
    No. But he's at 160 right now, a major problem for him being able to get any big fights other than a Chavez fight.

Why can't Sergio clean out MW for his legacy or go up to 168 and beat a top fighter like Froch or Ward???

He certainly doesn't seem to want anything to do with moving up to 168.
    Why is that a major problem?

Because people are afraid that he's too good even if at their weight?

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
      Chad is the LHW champ yet came down to fight ward

And according you, he wasnt drained

Remember that?
      When did I say he wasnt drained? I said its no excuse because Chad forced the fight, took the fight AND wanted that weight. Ward-Dawson was a throw away fight that no one asked for more.

So um yeah he was drained and he was KO'd and I was happy to see it because I called it..

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Comment

Would love to see either fight. But I don't see Sergio going down to 54 to fight Mayweather. Nor do I see him going north to 68 to fight Ward. These fights are pipe-dreams IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Cigarillo View Post
          When did I say he wasnt drained? I said its no excuse because Chad forced the fight, took the fight AND wanted that weight. Ward-Dawson was a throw away fight that no one asked for more.

So um yeah he was drained and he was KO'd and I was happy to see it because I called it..

I have no idea what you are talking about.
          So it will be no excuse for Sergio if he's drained at 154

So we agree

Yet you were for that fight but against this one....hmmmm i wonder why

Comment

let's talk about the weights, then

cotto, floyd are welterweights. cotto fights at 154, where he looks a bit soft. floyd takes fights there when the money is good. they're both WW sized men, and not particularly huge ones either.

pacquiao is a smaller man fighting at welterweight. he could easily make 140 lbs. he was 138 when he fought ricky hatton, and it's well documented on the HBO 24/7 and everwhere else that ariza has pacquiao drinking protein shakes and eating lots of calories to have him put weight on. pacquiao is a strange cat. he's got wrists, hands, and calves that are huge, but they're on a very little body. he doesn't have big shoulders or hips. i've never seen his upper legs, but i assume that they are well muscle as well. he can hit hard at 147, and take a bigger man's punch, but he's a smaller guy.

alvarez grew out of the WW division and at 22 he's a good sized junior middleweight. everybody else being discussed is over 30. making weight is completely different when you're older. when you are 22 you are still filling out. you have the metabolism of somebody who is still growing. when you hit your mid 20's that will slow down, and canelo will have trouble shedding weight and making 154 lbs.

canelo is a larger man that cotto and mayweather, a much larger man than pacquiao, and a man not too far away from the size of martinez

martinez is a middleweight. he grew out of WW and headed to MW many years ago for big fights. he just fought the biggest MW i've ever seen and had no issues dealing with the size. he could hurt him. until the end, where he was hit flush with some bombs, he could take his punches. he's at the division in which canelo will eventually campaign. he's grown out of the divisions at which mayweather, cotto, and pacquiao are maxed out (147 and 154.)

and finally, andre ward is a good sized supermiddleweight. he's six feet tall, he's very strong, has a very sturdy chin against big SMW punchers (froch, abraham, and bika can all bang, so can kessler, so can green, even,) and he can thump a bit himself, even though he's not a big puncher at the weight.

could martinez make 154? that appears to be where the money is. cotto, canelo, and mayweather would be huge fights for him.
            perhaps
            he was 157 and a half against macklin. if it gets him a fight with floyd mayweather i suggest he takes it. if it were up to me i'd have canelo fight martinez at 160. martinez has done much more in boxing than canelo. but it's not up to me.

Comment

^^^^^You made some good points but Pac aint making 140. That Hatton fight was 4 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Cigarillo View Post
                ^^^^^You made some good points but Pac aint making 140. That Hatton fight was 4 years ago.

i think he's at 147 for the money and that if he needed to he could make 140 pretty easily. it's not like he grew into 147. at his age and size he was done growing long ago.

against marquez he was 143..

pacquiao is a funny case though. he's got one of the strangest frames you will ever see on a boxer. he'll never try and fight at 140 again anyway, so there's no way of knowing for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
                  What lines? Only reason people are saying he wants a catchweight is because the article's authors suggested it.

And exactly, you "guessed" what it mean. There isnt even any context to suggest that he wants a CW, but you think sergio cant make 154 so automatically it means he wants a CW. Maybe you should stop assuming and read the quote for what it is.
                  So answer me this : if Sergio can make 154 and is willing to fight at any weight between 154 and 160 then why is the weight limit even an issue? Why is he worried about reaching an agreement on the weight?

Comment

Originally posted by akScoundrel View Post
                    Probably already been said, but looking at their fight night weights would be a more accurate representation/comparison. Martinez is only 167 or so fight night. Hell, some welterweights balloon up that much. Canelo is right there aswell.
                    Cool. Let's look at that.

What is Mayweather's fight night weight?

Comment

everyone with any sense knows martinez would be completely dead at 154 lbs now, and floyd would surely be bloated and out of his depth at middleweight. can we stop acting like there's even the remotest chance this fight ever happens?

Comment

Working...
                      X