Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has a fighter been the winner of 2 fights of the year in one year?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glen was mild underdog to Woods in the 1st fight
    big underdog to Roy Jones
    big underdog to Tarver in the 1st fight
    all those were in the same year

not sure, but think Pavlik was underdog to both Miranda and Taylor in the same year too

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
      No, it's just that Ortiz has proven you can't ever assume he can't lose to anyone. I thought he'd win, but it wasn't some crazy upset because we are talking about Victor Ortiz.
      Pretty even according to fans.

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=558639

It's actually pretty close between Josesito Lopez and Danny Garcia.'

Wongkongjam, who? Sorry.

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=558795

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
        Really? You didn't consider Lopez beating Ortiz to be a crazy upset?

Ortiz has his flaws and is incredibly vunerable but Joseito Lopez beating him is something that literally no one expected. Which explains the very lop sided odds.

That fight will certainly win upset of the year unless Charr beats Klitschko or something.
        I think the win just finished settling in and now people have a chance to think of ways Lopez was superior and had a chance to beat Ortiz, now they're saying, it's not that big of an upset. But if we're being real, after seeing Lopez against Vargas, and his overall resume, i'd just have to look at someone with a weird face if they actually thought Lopez had a chance.

Even with me calling the Hopkins, and Mosley wins over Pavlik and Margarito, that was Bernard Hopkins and Shane Mosley we're talking about, two future HOF'ers, not no Josesito Lopez.

The threads or lack thereof, of Lopez-Ortiz showed you what people really thought coming in to the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
          Pretty even according to fans.

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=558639

It's actually pretty close between Josesito Lopez and Danny Garcia.'

Wongkongjam, who? Sorry.

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=558795
          Yeah, I know the lower weights don't get much love, especially a guy like Wonjongkam who doesn't leave home. It was still the biggest upset this year IMO, and I don't think it was close. Some nobody beat the hell out of him. Jaro lost the belt in his next fight.
          Last edited by bojangles1987; 08-25-2012, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Really? You didn't consider Lopez beating Ortiz to be a crazy upset?

Ortiz has his flaws and is incredibly vunerable but Joseito Lopez beating him is something that literally no one expected. Which explains the very lop sided odds.

That fight will certainly win upset of the year unless Charr beats Klitschko or something.
            I remember saying a couple of days before the fight that while Ortiz should never lose to a fighter like Lopez, I wouldn't be that surprised if he lost to anyone, Lopez included.

It's not like Lopez was actually beating him, an injury happened and based on what you think, Ortiz either quit reasonably or quit stupidly, which is why I don't think its the upset of the year. Not compared to Sonny Boy Nobody destroying Wonjongkam and Garcia blasting Khan. Just my opinion, I know most disagree.

Comment

Some of the comments pre-Lopez-Ortiz.

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=555601

And just remember this:

People agreeing with Arum that Canelo-Lopez is a crap fight:

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=558301

But watch after the fight is a war, people will say they knew all along that it was going to be close.

Comment

Yeah, I know the lower weights don't get much love, especially a guy like Wonjongkam who doesn't leave home. It was still the biggest upset this year IMO, and I don't think it was close. Some nobody beat the hell out of him. Jaro lost the belt in his next fight.
                The Jaro fight was coming for a long time though.

But like you said, the Jaro fight was coming for a long time. Wonjongkam was clearly on the decline and was due to lose very soon at that point.

I didn't think Jaro would be that guy to do it but I really wasn't surprised at all when I heard he lost.

Comment

I remember saying a couple of days before the fight that while Ortiz should never lose to a fighter like Lopez, I wouldn't be that surprised if he lost to anyone, Lopez included.

It's not like Lopez was actually beating him, an injury happened and based on what you think, Ortiz either quit reasonably or quit stupidly, which is why I don't think its the upset of the year. Not compared to Sonny Boy Nobody destroying Wonjongkam and Garcia blasting Khan. Just my opinion, I know most disagree.
                  I can agree with Jaro but Garica atleast is a good fighter whereas Lopez really isn't

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Napier View Post

not sure, but think Pavlik was underdog to both Miranda and Taylor in the same year too
                    yes he was. That's the fight I really became a fan of Pavlik (and I'm sure many others) because I thought Miranda was a lot better than he actually was and Pavlik beat the crap out of him. Remember Bernard Hopkins "passed the torch" so to speak to Miranda just before he fought pavlik haha. That was supposed to set up Miranda vs Taylor which everyone was drooling over.

Taylor/Miranda >> Canelo/Ortiz, imo.

Comment

I can agree with Jaro but Garica atleast is a good fighter whereas Lopez really isn't
                      Garcia destroying Khan that way surprised me more than Lopez-Ortiz. Again, I know that's a minority opinion but my surprised was far greater about Garcia than Lopez. And since Garcia actually destroyed Khan, whereas Ortiz quit in a fight he was winning handily, that effects my opinion as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X