No announcement yet.

Iyo, are punchers born or made?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kessu.apengu View Post
    How can you be "born" a puncher? when all children are more of less born the same. Its the predisposition of ones environment that will change there body and mindset. This could affect diet and therefore muscle growth. This is an adaptive change therefore you are NOT born with this trait.
    bradley's got plenty of muscles for his weight, is he a puncher? Trinidad had "no muscles" little definition and he was a 1 punch ko type guy.

Reid was making fun of trinidad at the press conference cuz he had no muscles.

Comment

It has to be genetics. Just like anyone can pitch, but not anyone can throw a 100mph fastball. There's guys who have decent power and through training/experience become much stronger punchers (Martinez comes to mind as a recent example). Everynow and then though you'll see a seemingly light puncher harness it for a night and knock the f uck out of someone so it could be mindset related as well..especially considering some hard punchers seemingly pull their punches in exchange for speed/not setting their feet. I think there's a lot of variables in physiology too... It's no secret Pac's power comes from his mutant legs, Bundrage is brute strength, Nonito, Bute and Martinez get a lot of leverage (almost like a coil, you can see it from their entire body that the punch is potent) so I think its a combination of things when I think of it that way. Bailey seems to be a case of genetics though... I mean he just throws a punch and it looks as if his hand must weigh a ton with the reaction the opponent has. Like his hand is made of steel or somethin lol

Comment

Originally posted by kessu.apengu View Post
        How can you be "born" a puncher? when all children are more of less born the same. Its the predisposition of ones environment that will change there body and mindset. This could affect diet and therefore muscle growth. This is an adaptive change therefore you are NOT born with this trait.
        It's called Genetics. The child is already destined to grow a certain height, bone structure, hair color, skin, etc. It's written in their genetic coding it's their destiny, other things can hinder them from growing to their genetic potential such as lack of proper nutrition, that's why you see kids who grow taller than their parents because they could get the proper nutrition their parents couldn't.
        Last edited by hectari; 08-20-2012, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
          punchers are born with the talent, but they develop it and are conditioned under a trainer for years

you'll never turn paulie maglinaggi into a hard puncher
          julian jackson hit hard when he walked into the gym

it's just how it is.

I agree with this & the TS.

Comment

Speed, power and chin are three things you are born with. You can improve speed and power to a certain extent but to have that one punch natural power or that lighting fast speed, that something you are born with.

Comment

punchers are born with the talent, but they develop it and are conditioned under a trainer for years

it's just how it is.
              Paulie could set his feet better than he does and get more oomph than he does though.

I think punchers can be made. Joe Louis went from having a little to a lot with just basic footwork help. He's one of the greatest the sport has seen. That being said, not everyone is born with Foreman power, but it can be extreme at both ends.

Comment

I think fighters are born with whatever they excel at in terms of boxing. Usually you'll go into a gym, go through some drills, the trainer will see the way you move, your body type, how hard you hit, how fast you are, etc. and tailor your style around that. It's not like you can just turn David Tua into a slick fighter. So yes, I'd definitely say your born with certain gifts.

Comment

Originally posted by timboslice708 View Post
                  I think fighters are born with whatever they excel at in terms of boxing. Usually you'll go into a gym, go through some drills, the trainer will see the way you move, your body type, how hard you hit, how fast you are, etc. and tailor your style around that. It's not like you can just turn David Tua into a slick fighter. So yes, I'd definitely say your born with certain gifts.
                  Complete styles is different then just punching though.

Comment

I have a mixed opinion on this. First, the only thing genetics will give you is either a heavier hand than someone else, or fast twitch muscles. I have never really been a hard puncher to be honest and I have smaller ***** hands basically kind of too haha. However, I have fast reflexes and I am very fast for my size, I am 6'3" 215 pounds and can throw pretty fast combos. By learning technique and turning my punches over, I have been able to clip people and drop them. It is sometimes about placement too....temple, sweet spot on the chin, etc. I would agree though it is a lot to do with genetics. I think us guys with smaller hands have to make up for it with speed to generate any kind of power. I know guys though that have big ass hands/knuckles that can just pop you easily and drop you or hurt you. Obviously it also depends on who is taking the shot too you know? It is interesting though because you sometimes see skinny guys who are not heavy handed who just drop and KO people. I guess the mystery continues....

Comment

it's just how it is.
                      This........

Comment

Working...
                      X