Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: 'Fighting Words' – Donaire One Win From Fighter of Year?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: 'Fighting Words' – Donaire One Win From Fighter of Year?

by David P. Greisman - Once again, a Filipino fighter is an early frontrunner for “Fighter of the Year.”

It’s definitely not Manny Pacquiao, though, not with his controversial split decision loss earlier this year against Timothy Bradley. That means this will be the third straight year with another boxer receiving the honor.

Pacquiao had quite a run, winning the award three times in four years, being recognized for his 2006 campaign (two wins over Erik Morales book-ending a victory over Oscar Larios), his 2008 ascendance (a close decision win over Juan Manuel Marquez at junior lightweight, then stellar stoppages of David Diaz at lightweight and Oscar De La Hoya) and his continued dominance in 2009 (a one-punch knockout of Ricky Hatton, then prolonged punishment delivered to Miguel Cotto).

Despite Pacquiao’s winning streak continuing through 2010 and 2011, other boxers had better years: Sergio Martinez captured the award after winning the legit, lineal middleweight championship from Kelly Pavlik, then defending it with an eye-opening one-punch knockout of Paul Williams; and Andre Ward outclassed the rest last year, taking decisions over Arthur Abraham and Carl Froch, completing his ascent to the top of the super middleweight division and making it look easy. [Click Here To Read More]

I'm thinking that the winner of Martinez vs JCC Jr should get it.

Comment

Also Chad Dawson if he wins. Not Ward because he only would have had one win this year. JUst pulling names from my head

Comment

If he absolutely destroys Nioshoki in a spectacular KO, he'd definitely be a contender.

Comment

Originally posted by hougigo View Post
          I'm thinking that the winner of Martinez vs JCC Jr should get it.
          Agree also if Josesito López miraculously beats Canelo will make a strong candidate.

Comment

David is now writing a far better "Fighting Words" more like those he began the series with. Gone, is all the bloviating, alliteration and pontification. A welcome transformation. As for "fighter of the Year", I think that if Chavez beats Martinez, which almost nobody except the Chavez camp believes will happen, this victory combined with his Rubio and Lee wins, both credible opponents, should be enough to do the business. And that he will have fought 3 instead of the now more common 2 fights in the year only help.can
            Last edited by edgarg; 08-13-2012, 01:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bababoey970 View Post
              Agree also if Josesito López miraculously beats Canelo will make a strong candidate.
              If that happens, nobody contends with Lopez

Comment

Originally posted by hougigo View Post
                If that happens, nobody contends with Lopez
                Whatta hype job this fish head, beat somebody with a pulse...quit dodgin all the real hitters at 122.

Comment

Josesito is one win away for FTY, that would be insane.

Comment

To me the 2 biggest wins would be Froch over Bute and Lopez over Ortiz. They r both Candidates along with Donaire, Dawson, and Chavez Jr. Since I believe Dawson,Lopez, and Jr will lose and Froch not fighting someone legit enough, I ultimately see Donaire winning with Martinez being a close second. I think its wide open though. Garcia would be a good candidate if he wasn't fighting Morales again.

Comment

Working...
                    X