Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: 'Fighting Words' – Donaire One Win From Fighter of Year?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is not even close to being decided. Nonito beat decent names, but did not dazzle. If all other contenders lose then he might get. Here is my list of possible candidates in no particular order.

JCC Jr.-If he beats Sergio
    Sergio Martinez-If he beats JCC
    Chad Dawson-If he beats Ward
    Floyd Mayweather-If he fights (big if) and beats Canelo in December
    Josito Lopez-If he can upset Canelo (another big if)
    Danny Garcia-If he convincingly beats Morales and all the above names fail to win or impress.
    Carl Froch-If he fight and beats someone like Bernard Hopkins, Nathan Cleverly, or Kessler by KO and most of the other fighters on the list lose.
    Adrian Broner-Fights and beats a big name fighter such as Gamboa, Marquez, or some of the other names he said he supposedly wants to fight.

Comment

Originally posted by hougigo View Post
      I'm thinking that the winner of Martinez vs JCC Jr should get it.
      I can see an argument for chavez jr getting FOTY if he pulls off the upset and beats martinez, but martinez beating chavez jr not so much.

Comment

It all depends on how he beats Nishi. It's a 50-50 fight to me, because of Nishi's age and his inactivity. I'm not surprised if either guy wins. If he can do a number on him and beat him convincingly, then Nonito will be in the running. Mathebula and Vasquez weren't that great though.
        Last edited by kiaba360; 08-13-2012, 11:32 AM.

Comment

I'm surprised Salido wasn't even mentioned in this article. If he beats Garcia he'd be a good candidate for fighter of the year in my book, especially if he knocks him out.

Originally posted by hougigo View Post
          I'm thinking that the winner of Martinez vs JCC Jr should get it.
          Well Martinez is the favorite so it wouldn't be a big victory for him.

Originally posted by theproof View Post
          beating the japanese fighter means nothing. i bet most so called boxing fans never even heard of this guy except those who live for boxing. i like lopez if he wins. no one cares about dawson/ward. whoever wins the chavez/martinez just wins that's all. THEY ARE NOT superstars. not to mention jr is allowed to come in the ring as a lt heavy is garbage. to be honest i guess i am just not a fan of donaire.
          Stupid ass post. Being famous has nothing to do with boxing rankings.

Originally posted by Angry Cuban View Post
          Man what's happening with boxing?!!donaire.. Relly!!?.for beat Vasquez who just came from a loss over old ass arce and mathebula a figther fron south Africa who have not punching power and not any credible win apart of ndvolu..that statement just approve the ducking.. I hope nishioka kill this Ducker but i belive that at his 36 and after struggled to win against old Marques he s not a credible threat..
          What does his country of origin have to do with it?

Comment

Originally posted by titan_1987 View Post
            I don't get it..

Mares last 3 fights:

1. Morel - April 2012
            2-3. Agbeko - August and Dec. 2011.

Mares only had 1 fight in 2012 while in 2011 he fought Agbeko twice, wherein it was a fix, he couldn't get his hands off Agbeko's balls. A shame that ref mora was much of a **** too because he never warned or penalized Mares.

Morel and Agbeko more stiffer competition than Nishioka and Vasquez Jr.? Even it's Nishi alone, he far outclasses those 3 fighters. GTFO

Calling Nishi mediocre? you might as well call Mares as a tomato can.

Morel and Agbeko more stiffer competition than Nishioka and Vasquez Jr.?

Weak schedule, dont try to church it up. Even compare their last 5 fights. GTFOH.

Comment

1. Lopez assuming he beats Canelo in any way shape or form
              2. JCC Jr. assuming he beats Martinez and looks good doing so
              3. Dawson if he somehow manages to beat Ward

Those are my candidates for fighter of the year.

Comment

So how can Lopez obtain FOTY if he beats 2 glorified hype jobs? Ah, a 140 pounder beating on a 147 and 154 pounder.

Comment

If Donaire KOs Nishioka in spectacular fashion...he's fighter of the year. Wouldn't be at all surprised if he does KO him, as he's shown to perform up to his level of competition.

vs. Darchinyan (28-0 at the time, had that aura of invincibility thing going, definitely one of the top flyweights)

KTFO in 5

vs. Montiel (on an 11 fight win streak, beat hasegawa earlier in the year in Japan, top guy at bantamweight)

KTFO in 2

vs. Nishioka (8 year unbeaten streak, 16 fight win streak, accomplished jnr. featherweight ranked no. 1 in the division by credible boxing experts)

KTFO in ???

Comment

They will never admit it but how aggravating must it be for any other Filipino fighter that they cannot even have one article written about them that does not discuss Pacquiao? Christ 1/3 of this article was about Pacquiao. When is this going to end? I feel bad for Donaire and for Gesta too...both are great fighters but their names cannot even be mentioned without including Manny's. Do writers, media and fans realize that there were plenty of Filipino fighters before Manny? Good ones too! I am not sure Donaire should be fighter of the year but he is damn sure 5 times as good as Manny is. I think if Lopez beats Canelo he could be FOTY or maybe Martinez if he beats JCC jr. Notice I did not say the winner of JCC Jr./Martinez because JCC Jr. is about the shadiest fighter out there and only Ray Charles cannot see he is on something.

Comment

if u bros think my post is horrible that's ok. it is just MY OPINION. i have never thought someones comment was terrible. it is just about opinions. don't reply just to update your post count. i have been in there with leonard, hearns, benitez, hopkins, hagler, barlkey, mCcallum, mancini, howard davis, pryor, all the philly/nj fighters who in my opinion left it alla in the gym and many others. in the juniors, trials, golden gloves and the pros. i think i know what i am talking about. beating the japanese fighter does nothing to upgrade donaires status. the up and commers get to much press and talk to much. fight the best and not who the governing bodies tell us who is the best. my post may be stupid but I BET you two know nothing about donaires opponent. my son sparred with that fighter last year and said he is really good. said he is a cut above lots of fighters but i know none of us know about him. many of you here spend lots of time criticising others comments without adding anything positive. he is a really good fighter but who has he dominated lately? the big KO he got to make him a P4P canidate was against a fighter there to be hit if you hold your ground. even in being flames by a few i still respect your opinions. i appreciate you bros speaking your minds. it keeps me in check but don't be a know it all unless yuou've been in there.

Comment

Working...
                      X