No announcement yet.

Arum: "Pacquiao Willing To Fight Cotto At Catchweight Of 150 Pounds"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Band-Aid View Post
    Catch weights are horrible but why are people going ham on Pac when Ward is making Dawson go down to 168, an entire 7 pounds from where Dawson is used to fighting. Keep in mind this guy comes in at 190+ fight night.

You also have to keep in mind that Cotto signed the contract for the first fight, so even HE himself didn't think it would effect him.

you guys are somewhere between ignorant // naiive and flat out dumb

chad dawson announced to the media that he wanted to fight ward at 168 for his championship
    if they fight a single lb over 168 they cant fight for the championship.

additionally, dawson has been saying that he'd fight at 168 for years now.

ward didn't "make" him do anything, and that's factual.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
      Why the hell should they fight at 147?? Nice touch trying to change the dynamic of the phrase in question. You originally tried to claim that making 145 meant nothing because he was 146 the fight before therefore he only needed to lose 1lb. I told you it is entirely not the same. Now all of a sudden Cotto is a pro & yada yada. Still doesn't explain how 146 of his own accord is the same as not being allowed to weight more than 145.

Now you go on to say that Cotto should accommodate Pacman & go down to 147 to fight him?? If Pacman wants to fight Cotto & calls him out a 2nd time in 2012 why shouldn't he go to where Cotto is??
      I must be talking another language or we not understanding each other properly...Cotto came in at 146lb in the Clottey fight to show that making 145lb would be no problem..Cotto also knew that if he fought Pac there would be a weight stipulation in the fight..You are trying to say Cotto was force into taking this fight and accepting the weight stipulation..That is false bro..Cotto did not have an issue with the weight until he got that azz beat and needed an excuse..Bottomline..

I know Pac is not fighting at 154lb,tbh he is to small for that weight class..Pac has options,this is not a bad one for either Pac or Cotto..But we will not see this at 154lb that's the realness at hand..I'm just saying 147lb sounds good for both..Better then a catch weight imo..
      Last edited by Rome-By-Ko; 08-06-2012, 07:59 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by New England View Post

chad dawson announced to the media that he wanted to fight ward at 168 for his championship

Didn't Ward also call out Martinez at 168? He sure does love staying in his comfort zone of 168 and California, but has no problem making people go up or down.

Comment

• Originally posted by AnimalisticMeth View Post
          Yeah the timing is all wrong for this fight. If we can get Pacquiao-Marquez IV and Cotto-Cenelo or Cotto-Bradley than is all good.
          What will Marquez-Pacquiao IV teach you that you didn't learn from the first three fights?

Marquez is about 40, and Pac won't fight him at Marquez' preferred weights.

Even if Pac finally beats JMM, what does that prove at this point?

Pass.

Comment

• Originally posted by New England View Post

You hit on what I'm trying to get Bush to understand..There was nobody forcing Cotto to fight at that weight..He accepted the fight at that weight..

Comment

• Originally posted by Band-Aid View Post
              You also have to keep in mind that Cotto signed the contract for the first fight, so even HE himself didn't think it would effect him.
              Yes he did. In fact, there was much acrimony over the weight agreement, and the weight-making process.

All the way up to the weigh-in where Cotto's trainer yelled at Roach when Migs made the weight.

You are either forgetting, or lying

Comment

• im seein posts on here with some people saying that those opposed to this new cw fight are hypocritical because Cotto asked Marg to come down to 150. I dont really think it is.

Im not too angry with this fight if its at 150 because there's no title on the line. Thats the biggest thing that always pissed me off. There have been cw fights before in history, some to get us the fights we want to see. But i really hate the idea of a challenger challenging a champion for his belt at the challengers chosen weight. There are weight classes for a reason and i think a 154lbl title at 154lbl will always be more significant than 154 at 150. BUT if there is a cw for a title the CHAMPION should have the discretion to which weight they want it to be at. Its their title. They earned it. I also think it speaks a little to how the person asking for the cw views their competition. Like Cotto the champ asking Marg the Challenger to fight at 150. And this is where Pac kills me.

There are only two men in the history of this sport who have captured titles in 6 different weight classes, one is oscar the other is pac. That is amazing even with vacant titles and such. But now this man is gonna be celebrated for 8 division titles in which 2 of them were at 145 and 150. That errks me. He needed 145 to capture a 147lbl title, but fought the next guy at 147 (clottey) and fought the guy before it at 147lbl(oscar) and came in the oscar fight at 148.2 or sum ish. but im supposed to give him full credit for that? I understand that nobody forced Cotto to do it, he's a prize fighter thats what he does and it was a great win, But that doesnt change the fact that the Challenger (pac and company) felt that they had to have THAT cw to feel comfortable in the fight. That takes the shine off of it for me.Then he claims he cant do 145 for a 147lbl title but makes a man come to 150 for a 154lbl title shot that NEITHER of them earned? He even tried to make Mosley come to 142 for a WBA title, why? It seems that Pac gets to feel as comfortable as he deems fit in his big fights but his opponent doesn't.

Like i said i understand that Pac is the money fight and if they want the money they have to concede but i cant give full credit because i believe Pac knows FULL WELL what coming down in weight can do. Every time he ever had to come back down in weight pre ww to challenge, he got knocked out. He knocked out Morrales with the same tactic he was subjected to. But Pac was champ Morales was the challenger. The boulder was on morales's shoulders to carry. Not in the Cotto case and even when Pac was challenging for a 154lbl title he STILL got to make a man come down to fight him. And then had the audacity to ask for weight penalty's in the Mayweather fight when he himself was stripped of a title for missing weight before. The sad part to me is the fact that I FIRMLY BELIEVE that pac could have beaten Cotto without the cw. But he didnt, and if he did we wouldnt have to speculate if he could do it at a normal weight division. But thats just my opinion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rome-By-Ko View Post
                  I must be talking another language or we not understanding each other properly...Cotto came in at 146lb in the Clottey fight to show that making 145lb would be no problem..Cotto also knew that if he fought Pac there would be a weight stipulation in the fight..You are trying to say Cotto was force into taking this fight and accepting the weight stipulation..That is false bro..Cotto did not have an issue with the weight until he got that azz beat and needed an excuse..Bottomline..

I know Pac is not fighting at 154lb,tbh he is to small for that weight class..Pac has options,this is not a bad one for either Pac or Cotto..But we will not see this at 154lb that's the realness at hand..I'm just saying 147lb sounds good for both..Better the a catch weight imo..
                  Stopped taking your post seriously at " Cotto came in at 146lb in the Clottey fight to show that making 145lb would be no problem".

If Pacman doesn't want ot fight Cotto at a healthy weight, he needs to stop continuously calling out a man he destroyed looking for advantages. That's weird to me.

Comment

• ......and Mayweather was bashed for fighting Cotto at 154...

Pac wont be able to recover if he ducks Floyd again to fight Cotto at a CW (again).

This is just sad for boxing...

Comment

• Originally posted by Rome-By-Ko View Post
                      You hit on what I'm trying to get Bush to understand..There was nobody forcing Cotto to fight at that weight..He accepted the fight at that weight..
                      I never once argued the fact that Cotto accepted the fight because he did.

What I'm arguing is the fact that you claimed making 146 for a welterweight fight & not being able to weight over 145 is the same.

Comment

Working...
                      X