Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Floyd's legacy stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BIGBOXINGFAN View Post
    How many of the people who say Ray Robinson is the best actually saw his fights?

Not much film on the guy.

Ray Robinson is considered the best because of how many fights he won.
    That doesn't mean that Robinson would have beat a Floyd Mayweather.

How many fighters on Ray Robinson resume had floyd Mayweather talent?

And the same for Floyd......Who has Floyd ever fought with the talent of a Ray Robinson?

My point is.....how would we ever know who would have won a fight between them without them fighting?

So many great fighters from different eras.
    I have watched plenty of Ray Robinson, what there is to watch. It is obvious that he is great and I would say ahead of his time.

You are right though, both guys are incredibly talented and dominated the sport when they occupied it. It is impossible to know who would win and there are so many variable that you can look at it any way you want. I hate when people try to force you into a box with boxing, boxing is the theater of the unexpected for a damn reason and this cookie cutter bullshit that people try to force on you with Ray Robinson make me fucking sick.

I would like to add though it would be funny to see how Ray Robinson would get treated if he was around right now, just knowing someone of his personal flaws (which happen to be flaws shared with a certain someone people love to hate)
    Last edited by The Gambler1981; 08-04-2012, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by timboslice708 View Post
      Im not being biased, "pacquiao your next!". Dont act like im a Pacquiao tard, I'm using that example, becasue lets say people were saying x fighter could beat Ali, would Ali not call them out, every time he was on tv??
      What does Ali have to do with this, and what is your point?

Comment

Floyd nut hugger alert, I knew bringing up Pacquiao would bring out the nut huggers. I knew it.
        WTF are you talking about? Where did I mention Pacquiao? Or say anything to insinuate being a "Floyd nuthugger".

I just think it's funny watching you get completely mauled in an argument, then resort to insults because you're all out of things to say.

Comment

Originally posted by cixthree View Post
          It's funny how someone bases how the ATGs beat Floyd, but none ever just "Outboxes" him...
          How can you not be the "Greatest Boxer" if nobody ever just "Out boxes" you? They always go to KO or being tough, how about out boxing the an (Who does that on the list of ATGs?)
          You can't take some people seriously when they say Floyd is not an all time great.

The funny thing is this.....ask any of the so called all time greats that are living and I bet 90-99% of them would say Floyd is an all time great.

I've heard a few say it already.

Comment

Floyd has 43 wins....and out of 43 wins he has been rocked what 3-4 times max.

Corley,Judah, Mosley rocked him twice.
            He never was on the verge of getting knocked out.

As a matter of fact.....he came back and ended those rounds coming forward.
            Im jut saying, dont call his chin great. Margarito has a great chin, Ray Rob had a great chin, Ali had a uber great chin. Your just adding intaginbles to Floyd's skill set that he doesnt have. Your trying to say that he has a great chin, so if he ever fought some of the ATG's his chin would hold up, which I highly doubt. Watch the very very end of the Floyd vs Oscar fight, 12th round, last final explosive exchange, Oscar rocks him with one of his punches. Watch that **** if you dont believe me. It just shows, once Floyd opens up in an exhcange with someone, he will most likely get rocked, hes not the most durable fighter, which is why he uses the style he uses.

Comment

You speak like you were ringside at all these so called greats fights.
              How can you be so sure that floyd fails in comparison when you haven't watched these all time greats careers?

You name one all time great and I would put Floyd right there with him.

Name one....
              Name one? lol I could name a lengthy list of fighters who not only have a far greater resume than Floyd but would have beat him head to head.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Ducketts View Post
                What does Ali have to do with this, and what is your point?
                My point being, thats what made Ali great, he would want to prove himself against any man walking this earth. Floyd doesnt have the mentality to be the GOAT.
                Last edited by timboslice708; 08-04-2012, 12:43 PM.

Comment

There are always exceptions to the rule. On a general basis, elite athleticism equals elite production on the field/boxing ring/basketball court/MMA etc.
                  That's cool, but at the same time speed, athleticism, strength and other things can cover a lack of real skill for the sport (Look at RJJ).. Once all his God given gifts went, and he had to rely on the basics of the sport "What happend"?
                  When you remove the emotion you can see clearly

Comment

You can't take some people seriously when they say Floyd is not an all time great.

The funny thing is this.....ask any of the so called all time greats that are living and I bet 90-99% of them would say Floyd is an all time great.

I've heard a few say it already.
                    Quite honestly I cant take you seriously. Which is why I made this thread. Of course Floyd's a great fighter, but he's not the GOAT as you would like to believe. You might not say it, but you insinuate it with statements such as "the greatest talent that boxing has spawned" it just screams nut hugger.

Comment

Originally posted by cixthree View Post
                      That's cool, but at the same time speed, athleticism, strength and other things can cover a lack of real skill for the sport (Look at RJJ).. Once all his God given gifts went, and he had to rely on the basics of the sport "What happend"?
                      When you remove the emotion you can see clearly
                      Exactly, which is why I use Roy Jones in his prime as an example. What would happen if Lebron all of a sudden lost his athleticism, do you think he'd last as long as Kobe does, but whose considered the best player in the world right now?

Comment

Working...
                      X