Collapse
No announcement yet.

who's higher on your ATG list? Mayweather or Hopkins

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i remember people dissed hHpkins saying he was just a bully beating up smaller fighters... hatred is the only reason why hes winning.

Comment

i'm sorry but hopkins is not in the same league

lost to taylor twice, lost to RJJ, lost to joe calzaghe. heck anytime hes fought a decent fighter whos the same size he spoils the fight, throws the odd counter right hand and then whinges about how he is being robbed.

wins over WW's like DLH and tito shouldn't put you over a modern ATG. true he has some very good wins over pascal, tarver and johnson but hopkins is the biggest cherry picker in the sport.

some people are blind if they believe hopkins is as good as pretty boy floyd.

Comment

@ my bro Natas...our votes don't count bro LOL

Comment

Originally posted by MokMok View Post
          bhop.

Fought everyone.

Beat most of them.

Nevermind he fights dirty sometimes.

Floyd can easily surpass him if he fights Sergio and Pac before he's done.

you must be mental!!!

Comment

btw, B.Hop is ahead of Floyd AND Manny....all bias aside!!...Roy's prime makes him the GOAT though in my eyes

Comment

I don't put much stock in moving up in weight, any B- level talent could successfully do that and be a multi division champion. It's not a knock on Floyd because for the most part he didn't do that, but saying Mayweather is greater for that sole reason is a no no. Many here are oblivious to the struggles Hopkins went through at MW, he fought some very tough durable opponents, many that he legitimately ruined, he definitely had his work cut out for him although it's easy to go on Boxrec and argue otherwise. Me, I've watched his career and trust me when I say he had his work cut out for him against the likes of Mercado, Echols, Eastman, Holmes, Lipsey, Johnson and Allen, the kind of fighters who didn't fold or wilt, some that would have gone on to do bigger and betters things, except sadly for them, they crossed paths with The Executioner.

The reason I'm going with Hopkins here is because, in being the underdog, he not only beat Trinidad, Pavlik and Tarver...he dominated them, completely schooled them. Racking up 20 title defenses, competing at an elite level even at an advanced age, arguably beating Calzaghe, Taylor twice, overcame adversity and beat Pascal...find it hard not to go with him. Also, when it pertains to this topic skills comes into play, in being a huge fan of both, I've always been consistent in saying I never saw one as being more skilled than the other, although I acknowledge that both are stronger in certain areas.

Again, Hopkins isn't far ahead, it's extremely close and Floyd, depending on who he faces next can quickly change that.
              Last edited by Doctor_Tenma; 08-04-2012, 05:17 AM.

Comment

Hopkins.....even though I'm a Mayweather fan

Comment

Originally posted by hookoutofhell View Post
                  i'm sorry but hopkins is not in the same league

lost to taylor twice, lost to RJJ, lost to joe calzaghe. heck anytime hes fought a decent fighter whos the same size he spoils the fight, throws the odd counter right hand and then whinges about how he is being robbed.

wins over WW's like DLH and tito shouldn't put you over a modern ATG. true he has some very good wins over pascal, tarver and johnson but hopkins is the biggest cherry picker in the sport.

some people are blind if they believe hopkins is as good as pretty boy floyd.
                  I'd love to see Floyd in there when his physical attributes are gone, with him no longer having the stamina to fight twelve hard rounds. Simply to see if you would be equally as critical of him when he starts to pull some of the same antics, which I fully expect him to.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominicano Soy View Post
                    I don't put much stock in moving up in weight, any B- level talent could successfully do that and be a multi division champion. It's not a knock on Floyd because for the most part he didn't do that, but saying Mayweather is greater for that sole reason is a no no. Many here are oblivious to the struggles Hopkins went through at MW, he fought some very tough durable opponents, many that he legitimately ruined, he definitely had his work cut out for him although it's easy to go on Boxrec and argue otherwise. Me, I've watched his career and trust me when I say he had his work cut out for him against the likes of Mercado, Echols, Eastman, Holmes, Lipsey, Johnson and Allen, the kind of fighters who didn't fold or wilt, some that would have gone on to do bigger and betters things, except sadly for them, they crossed paths with The Executioner.

The reason I'm going with Hopkins here is because, in being the underdog, he not only beat Trinidad, Pavlik and Tarver...he dominated them, completely schooled them. Racking up 20 title defenses, competing at an elite level even at an advanced age, arguably beating Taylor, Calzaghe, facing adversity against Pascal...find it hard not to go with him. Also, when it pertains to this topic skills comes into play, in being a huge fan of both, I've always been consistent in saying I never saw one as being more skilled than the other, although I acknowledge that both are stronger in certain areas.

Again, Hopkins isn't far ahead, it's extremely close and Floyd, depending on who he faces next can quickly change that.
                    If those guys in bold are as good as you say then why didn't they go up to SMW and dominate. after all if a B- level fighter can become a multi divisional champ (according to you anyway...) then those guys should have been able to win a fair few championship fights at SMW?

as for dominating trinidad, pavlik and tarver. well pavlik and tarver were hand picked. ever since fighting winky wright hopkins has surveyed the SMW/LHW scene and picked out elite fighters which he knows he is stylistically good against (look at the guys he calls out froch, AA, pavlik, adamek etc).

people say hopkins is skilled and he is but hes not as skilled as pbf. hopkins spoils fights and upsets his opponents rhythm, his defence and footwork are also very cute. however offensively he is nowehre near as good as some fighters never mind money mayweahther!!!

he doesn't land with the same accuracy, his jab is not as effective and I think he struggles when he has to attack sometimes (watch the taylor fight and he looks sloppy when he comes forward). even floyds inside game is better than hopkins but thats a whole new thread...
                    Last edited by hookoutofhell; 08-04-2012, 04:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominicano Soy View Post
                      I'd love to see Floyd in there when his physical attributes are gone, with him no longer having the stamina to fight twelve hard rounds. Simply to see if you would be equally as critical of him when he starts to pull some of the same antics, which I fully expect him to.
                      true floyds phyical gifts are what means that he is a better fighter than hopkisn so when actually assessing their skill level I have tried to imagine what a past his prime floyd would fight like.

Its just either way I look at it - i think floyd is better and going back to the original discussion he has beaten the more credible opposition.

Comment

Working...
                      X