Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How will a 21-24 year old Fernando Vargas do in today's 154 Division?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MANIAC310 View Post
    He smokes everyone he knocks Kirkland out in 1 or 2. He destroyes Lara.

Tko's cotto and Canelo
    He probably would.

Vargas was astounding in his peak. The only guy in his class is Cotto.

Comment

Originally posted by UnicornGirl View Post
      I seen Vargas fight top fighters at age 19-24, an age guys like Canelo and Chavez Jr was still building stats and fighting bums. He was fighting guys like Wright and Ike at age 20.Tbh that's probably what ruined Vargas. Fighting a prime Trinidad when you are 22 years old is never a good idea.

But how will he do in today's current 154 era? Not counting Mayweather.

Cotto
      Trout
      Erislandy Lara
      Kirkland
      Canelo
      Vanes
      KG
      Angulo etc
      I voted loses one or two but maybe I should have voted beats them all. I am not sure he beats them all. I have him even money with Lara and Canelo and favor him over all the rest. I need to see Lara and Canelo fight someone really good to be sure how they would do against Vargas. Vargas was age 21 when he won the tittle. He was days away from turning 22 when fought Winky, 22 1/2 when he fought Ike and a few days away from 23 when he fought Trinidad. The Vargas that fought Trinidad was the best Vargas that ever fought and that is the Vargas I am comparing with today's best at 154. Vargas had a great chin before Trinidad and had never been off his feet. Trinidad hit him with so many bombs that it seemed to badly hurt his ability to take a punch in future fights. I think the Vargas that fought Trinidad would have a good chance to beat today's 35 year old Mayweather. After Trinidad Vargas was never as good as he was before.

Comment

Fernando would have the same problem now as he had back then, his style will always cause him to get hit easily. DUde has huge balls and a big mouth. He takes a good shot.

Just because he took money fights early, doesn't mean he is going to beat all the guys listed. He may not beat any of them.

Comment

Originally posted by UnicornGirl View Post
          I seen Vargas fight top fighters at age 19-24, an age guys like Canelo and Chavez Jr was still building stats and fighting bums. He was fighting guys like Wright and Ike at age 20.Tbh that's probably what ruined Vargas. Fighting a prime Trinidad when you are 22 years old is never a good idea.

But how will he do in today's current 154 era? Not counting Mayweather.

Cotto
          Trout
          Erislandy Lara
          Kirkland
          Canelo
          Vanes
          KG
          Angulo etc

he was essentially a gunfighter. he had some nice craft and good timing, but he never had the speed to completely outclass a man.

he'd probably win these fights, but he'd take some leather along the way and break down, the same way any other very good but not great fighter does when matched against top 10 level competition continuously.

his his hardest fights would be cotto, canelo, and lara.

lara would probably have a too light of an offense to win, even if he could skate around him a bit with his speed and his boxing skills. lara could fight at 147. vargas was huge by the time he was 19 years old. he'd punch right through that guard. lara would have to use his legs.
          canelo is also technical, but i think he'd fall short. he fights a bit like vargas. set feet, technical but very hard punches. heavyness instead of speed to generate his power. vargas had the better timing and is IMO much stronger at his age than canelo is at his. canelo's body didnt mature like vargas. vargas looked like a grown man when he was 19, and canelo still looked like a boy.

cotto would be the hardest fight. he's a good boxer. the issue, i think, would be the size and the punching power. the best way to beat cotto is to hurt him and change his outlook. if you let him become confident he can box well. he's got a very good jab, and when he's not full on bike riding he uses the ring well. i think vargas would eventually be able to catch up with him and those short arms he has and catch him with a hook or a big enough right hand to seriously hurt cotto. i'd give cotto the best chance of winning out of all of the men listed, but i think if he lost it would be via knockout. he can be hurt. he's never fought a puncher in the same league as vargas.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
            he was essentially a gunfighter. he had some nice craft and good timing, but he never had the speed to completely outclass a man.

he'd probably win these fights, but he'd take some leather along the way and break down, the same way any other very good but not great fighter does when matched against top 10 level competition continuously.

his his hardest fights would be cotto, canelo, and lara.

lara would probably have a too light of an offense to win, even if he could skate around him a bit with his speed and his boxing skills. lara could fight at 147. vargas was huge by the time he was 19 years old. he'd punch right through that guard. lara would have to use his legs.
            canelo is also technical, but i think he'd fall short. he fights a bit like vargas. set feet, technical but very hard punches. heavyness instead of speed to generate his power. vargas had the better timing and is IMO much stronger at his age than canelo is at his. canelo's body didnt mature like vargas. vargas looked like a grown man when he was 19, and canelo still looked like a boy.

cotto would be the hardest fight. he's a good boxer. the issue, i think, would be the size and the punching power. the best way to beat cotto is to hurt him and change his outlook. if you let him become confident he can box well. he's got a very good jab, and when he's not full on bike riding he uses the ring well. i think vargas would eventually be able to catch up with him and those short arms he has and catch him with a hook or a big enough right hand to seriously hurt cotto. i'd give cotto the best chance of winning out of all of the men listed, but i think if he lost it would be via knockout. he can be hurt. he's never fought a puncher in the same league as vargas.
            mosley and pac come to mind.

Comment

Working...
            X