Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anybody actually think Chavez will be able to walk through Martinez punches

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LA_2_Vegas View Post
    What type of output do you guys expect Sergio to have? I think that is a major factor in this fight, because even when you give Sergio optimal conditions for him...his output isn't that great.

JR can't expect to be careless and walk through everything because even if they don't hurt, Sergio throws nothing but laserbeams and obviously they can cut you up - he's good at turning the glove at the moment it hits the face, even on glancing shots, so I can see JR's face getting busted up regardless based on his history.

He's decent at picking off shots and getting low as he works inside, but if he can't keep Sergio directly in front of him most of the time he's gonna get whacked from the sides, he won't see them all and those might start to hurt. I think he's young enough to push through it all unless he gets super tired.

Macklin was able to keep Sergio's output from 20-45 punches per round for the first 5 rounds. It makes me wonder what type of approach JR will take from the opening bell because he has looked tired himself in some fights and he complained about leg cramps against Lee.

I think he can make it to the 3rd-4th round without taking much damage, appearing to be the aggressor, getting the benefit on the cards...and then go all out from the 5th-12th when you'd expect Sergio to begin to adjust himself. Macklin didn't press hard enough after a great start imo..... JR has to change the gameplan at some point in the fight
    Chavez should stay somewhat conservative until Sergio lapses, which he always does. Those couple of rounds where Sergio loses focus will be Chavez's best chance to lay on the damage he needs to in order to wear Martinez down for late in the fight.

Comment

martinez takes rounds off, if chavez can keep that pressure up he can do some good damage when martinez takes rounds off.

if chavez avoids getting cut this will be a hard fight for martinez.

Comment

I think Chavez Jr will be fine the first few rounds. Once it starts to go to the middle rounds we will see.

Comment

Originally posted by Ringlife View Post
          I think Chavez Jr will be fine the first few rounds. Once it starts to go to the middle rounds we will see.
          Good point. I have great respect for Chavez jr, and he always comes to fight. I don't mean to insult his fans, but I honestly don't see how Chavez Jr can beat Martinez other then corruption or a lucky punch. Martinez is just a much better fighter at this stage of their careers. Chavez Jr is very very one dimensional. Martinez is a great slick south paw that will beat Jr.

I won't say Martinez will 'expose' Jr, because Jr is still on a learning curve and he's the under dog anyways. But I see a Sergio UD(then he gets robbed) or a Sergio late TKO due to cuts

Comment

yea i can see it! i kinda got the feeling that he may retire the ole man! mart has been being tested more in his last few fights. just dont know if he can handle the Big Young Mans pressure these days. I dont care for either guy, but im pickin JR in this one. If he wins, i can see Jcc Jr Vs Pavlik in the near future. If JR gets too much better, the 168 class better watch out. Maybe not Ward, but Froch and downward.

Comment

I hope not, because I don't see Sergio getting a decision if it goes the distance. There's just too much behind Chavez Jr for him to lose if it's close or even competitive: Bob Arum, The WBC and HBO. Mark my words, Martinez is going to have to knock him out to win and I find it hard to see that happening considering the size and weight difference between them. I think it will look like the Martinez-Pavlik fight but maybe a little closer and I see Chavez taking a close but highly controversial decision.
              Last edited by JK1700; 07-23-2012, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by UnicornGirl View Post
                I think people are giving Jr way too much credit and love. They are now severely under estimating Martinez and over estimating Jr.

The Paul Williams Martinez beat would have walked through Jr's entire resume. The Pavlik Martinez beat would have knocked out Jr's entire resume. Sergio is just a tier above Jr and it will show. The only way Jr is winning is by corrupt judges or a lucky hayemaker.
                i disagree.. with the williams,he may have walked thru JRS resume. but dont see him walking thru JR. (the bold) you give Mart too much credit. Jr may end up just being a little too Youthful ,Fresh, Active and Big for the old man! could just be that simple! I dont see a robbery happening, and how can Jrs hayemakers be lucky? the dude can punch! and i do remember Pwill knocking him down, a Pwill wasnt a power puncher!

Comment

Jr has faced how many top punchers in his career? But yet so many saying he will walk through Martinez punches. The same Martinez who has knocked out his last 4 opponents.

Way to much love given to a fighter who the only top fighter beaten is Lee. I could Pops calling it to rescue his boy.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                    me

i think he walks right through them. martinez power gets overrated because of the williams stoppage.
                    Remember martinez was considered a feather puncher before williams, he has stumbled upon more power but chavez is a bigger man than williams and martinez. I doubt he's ko'd

Comment

Martinez has speed and decent power. He goes in and out and gives angles. Jr doesn't have a good defense is is not a one punch KO guy either. Ill pick skills over a pressure fighter any day.

Pavlik is a better fighter than Jr, has a better jab and more power. Thats the fight that Martinez has to do against Jr

Comment

Working...
                      X