Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” – Adrien, We Have A ‘Problem’

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
    Good stuff Mr. Greisman.

Another comparison to Mayweather is the unsportsmanlike weightmaking. Broner essentially did what Floyd did to Márquez: deliberately coming in over the limit to give himself a better hand. So dishonest. So unsportsmanlike. Disgusting.
    Fair point to bring up, Bat, with this slight difference: Whereas Broner came in over the limit that was in his contract, Mayweather renegotiated the contract with Marquez to allow him to come in, tossing some extra dollars to JMM rather than have JMM split a fine with Nevada.

And thank you, as always.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Problem View Post
      here comes all the haters ^^

they cant stand that another slick african american boxer is taking over the scene . mr face of HBO here we go 20-0
      You dont have to defend broner just because you are both black...what he did was wrong and brings down boxing as a legitimate sport. Just like Marg and the cheating scandal...mexicans dont have to defend him just because he's mexican

Comment

Originally posted by reeflegend View Post
        Saying this young man is going to kill boxing is straight up stupid ..the kid is 22...a kid!!! He's talented nd brings excitement to boxing, I'm sure he'll learn from what he did and understand its bad business...you guys are some ignorant people, this kid hasn't insulted anyone or anybody yet some of the **** you guys say is pathetic, I dunno if your going for cringe humor, cause your delivery isn't good,,.hes a good, let him have fun...he's entertaining and that's that...ruining boxing..really? Lol you guys want everyone to be humble and quiet...anytime there is someone outspoken you guys jump on him...clowns
        Yeah, tell that to Escobedo's family if he ended up in the hospital. You are the clown, Reef. There are rules for a reason. This is not Street Fighter, moron. Outright refusal to make weight and then flaunting it on Twitter, followed by a complete lack of giving a **** is a recipe for disaster.

This is not golf or baseball. If something tragic happened to Escobedo, Broner could have ended up in prison. Put down the stupid and try thinking before you speak.

Comment

Oh, and one more thing. Vic Darchinyan is outspoken and in his prime, dismissed everyone, promised to hurt anyone who was in the ring, and backed it up. We don't need all fighters to carry on like Glen Johnson, or else we will hate them. We just want them to show respect. We fans pay way too much money for this kind of farce. Our hard earned money puts food on the table for his 4 kids.

Comment

another slow moving SOB on the peds xing.

Comment

Smart style but he sits down and fights more than Mayweather, right now he's getting much more KO's. He's got swag and unlike Mayweather he clowns around and doesn't always take himself seriously. He's ****y, but he's a good guy. If he stays busy he can probably be as big an attraction as Mayweather but be much better liked. Just make weight!

Comment

Originally posted by Da Problem View Post
                here comes all the haters ^^

they cant stand that another slick african american boxer is taking over the scene . mr face of HBO here we go 20-0
                Nobody gives a s**t that he's African-American. It's that he's a loud arrogant ass who didn't live up to his obligations and then acted like it was no big deal. Stop being a liberal race baiter you moron

Comment

As much as I like the 10 count, why is half of the 10 point list boxers/trainers behaving badly? Personally I think the 10 count could do without boxers behaving badly, especially when they are talking about fringe, club fighters. I think there are more poignant points to be made on the boxing world on the 10 count, then listing and pointing fingers at boxers getting in trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by anonymous2.0 View Post
                    As much as I like the 10 count, why is half of the 10 point list boxers/trainers behaving badly? Personally I think the 10 count could do without boxers behaving badly, especially when they are talking about fringe, club fighters. I think there are more poignant points to be made on the boxing world on the 10 count, then listing and pointing fingers at boxers getting in trouble.
                    I'm sure many of us wonder what makes boxers do what they do, inside and outside the ring. Where do they come from, mentally? How do they end up where they are? As difficult as it is to try to make a living as a boxer, some do it anyway. I'm sure not everyone is attracted solely to the science, or the "elegance" of the sport.

While I wouldn't say that I look forward to learning about criminal boxers, I do enjoy reading Boxers Behaving Badly--not in a sadistic way, certainly--because, among other things, it allows the reader to "connect" with the real, gritty mindset/background/world some boxers come from, are currently in, or return to.

I did squirm while reading about one *** crime after another, but it is what it is. Not every boxer's an angel, unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
                      by David P. Greisman - Adrien Broner’s greater sin wasn’t so much the one he committed as what it represented.

Broner is far from the first high-profile fighter to fail to make weight. He won’t be the last, either, not when the status quo of those competing in combat sports is to boil their bodies down as low as they can go, step on the scales and then rehydrate in the hopes of gaining an advantage over a foe who might not be as big or as powerful.

Yet the outrage directed at Adrien Broner after he came in overweight for his junior lightweight bout against Vicente Escobedo — and then came in heavy again after agreeing that he would have to weigh-in under a certain number the following day — was the sort of anger and annoyance brought out by the serial offenders.

Broner is not Joan Guzman or Jose Luis Castillo, two fighters now known as much for their failures at the scales as they are for their fights. Guzman and Castillo have had bouts called off because of being overweight. Broner nearly did, too, until money triumphed over principle. [Click Here To Read More]
                      I hope someone teaches Broner to respect his opponent's sacrifice and dedication, if not the sport itself. His post-fight antics, including the almost-marriage-proposal, serves no purpose except to satisfy his juvenile ego. Juxtapose this with the heartbreaking interview with Escobedo, and Broner looks more like a spoiled, selfish, clueless, unrepentant boor.

Roy Jones Jr. should be reprimanded and made to reveal the "weaknesses" of the shoulder roll defense--he's being paid by HBO, after all, to provide analysis. Otherwise, he would have to retract his statements, and then claim that the shoulder-roll defense has no weakness.

Still, as disappointing as RJJ is as an analyst, I expect more--much more--from Emanuel Steward. This self-aggrandizing trainer/analyst doesn't fail to state the obvious (e.g., "so-and-so hasn't found a solution to so-and-so's straight right hand,""so-and-so's legs are gone,""I knew this would happen from the first round"), but always fails to
                      provide REAL analysis--how, for example, one should defend against or counteract a particular style. I feel like he's keeping secrets from his audience, and he'll share his insight only with his paying customers/boxers. His inferior commentary makes me wish for a little bit of Teddy Atlas.

Another good piece from Mr. Greisman. Keep up the good work.

Comment

Working...
                      X