Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Arum Expects 400-500K Buys For Chavez-Martinez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the Tomas Mack has already sold 70% of the 17,000 or so seats.

I'm thinking the mexican community will probably support Chavez because of the history between him and Martinez. Martinez's utter lack of respect for Chavez will piss off a lot of Mexicans and they'll pay to see Chavez **** up Martinez.

he fight has more hype and a lot of bad blood, plus Chavez sr is a legend to the mexicans. he's like Michael Jordan.

whereas the Canelo fight, at least being reported by spanish speaking media, isn't being taken seriously.

Arum might just be saying a low so when the numbers come out it will seem like a huge victory for TR.

but who knows what will happen from now until sept

Comment

i for one will not be forking out 75 bucks for the HD PPV to support Top Skank.... thats ridiculous.... the prices of these ppv's are getting out of hand....

Comment

Originally posted by rey guey View Post

I'm thinking the mexican community will probably support Chavez because of the history between him and Martinez. Martinez's utter lack of respect for Chavez will piss off a lot of Mexicans and they'll pay to see Chavez **** up Martinez.

he fight has more hype and a lot of bad blood, plus Chavez sr is a legend to the mexicans. he's like Michael Jordan.

whereas the Canelo fight, at least being reported by spanish speaking media, isn't being taken seriously.

Arum might just be saying a low so when the numbers come out it will seem like a huge victory for TR.

posters like you have a hard time separating boxingscene from the real world and think everyone follows boxing to the teeth.....

yes chavez sr./martinez is a better and more serious fight than canelo/lopez but the casual fans doesnt even know or could care less about the "history" between martinez and chavez...more casual fans just seen lopez rock ortiz couple weeks ago....

you boxing nerds are just mad that schaefer being a smart business man took a page out of arum's book and put the canelo fight for free and is also at the mgm... you really think casual fans are going to turn away the mgm for the thomas mack place.... negro please

and spare the "mexicans love chavez jr".... he's ridicule in the majority of mexico.... most of mexico supports canelo

Comment

I think it will do quit well. Probably a few 100k short of PAC vs Bradley. I wonder if Bob releases the offical #s once it's over?

Comment

Originally posted by hougigo View Post
            GBP are trying to hype of the Canelo fight by saying it's a fight that's worthy to be a PPV, but they're showing it for free.... how kind of them.
            All Goldenboy did with the Canelo fight was move it from Showtime PPV to Showtime

so it still isn't free. Free would be moving it to CBS or one of the big major networks

Comment

Based on WHAT??

We've become desensitized because we're used to seeing large numbers with the Mayweather and PacMan numbers but prior to them having millions of PPV buys.

A good boxing PPV is 300K buys. Chavez has NEVER headlines a major PPV (I'm not talking about that junk in the past against such top notch opponents as Matt Vanda either) and Martinez has never been on a PPV as a main event.

Outside of hardcore boxing fans, who knows about this fight that you know of seriously? To get numbers past 500K, you have to appeal the casual fan. Also you have to consider this is right after the holiday (stateside) and schools starting. Trust me, people are going to pony up the coin they want for unknowns to reach that number.

Let me offer some more real perspective.

Trinidad vs. Hopkins did 475K
              Trinidad vs. Winky did 510

Trinidad has/had been on PPV for nearly 10 years before those fights despite his retirement.

These names Mayweather, Trinidad, Dela Hoya, PacMan are the ONLY fighters in the last 5-10 years (I may be missing one but I doubt it) that can drive PPV sales past 500K without a dance partner. I'm speaking of stateside btw.

I'm a huge fan of Sergio Martinez but there's a reason he fights in the MSG Garden Theatre and NOT the ARENA.

400K would be a success and at what they're charging AND a FREE fight on at the same time. PLEASE!!!

But it's not like Top Rank hasn't been known to exaggerate before.
              Last edited by marzblkman; 07-19-2012, 12:13 PM.

Comment

I'm thinking the mexican community will probably support Chavez because of the history between him and Martinez. Martinez's utter lack of respect for Chavez will piss off a lot of Mexicans and they'll pay to see Chavez **** up Martinez.t
                Cite your source if you don't mind. I know most times ticket brokers buy these up. You can search on a ton of sites right now and still get good seats. In my opinion I think they're charging a tad too much for this soon to be massacre.

Comment

75 for hd is just crazy. Wtf more then mayweather.

Comment

Originally posted by marzblkman View Post
                    Cite your source if you don't mind. I know most times ticket brokers buy these up. You can search on a ton of sites right now and still get good seats. In my opinion I think they're charging a tad too much for this soon to be massacre.
                    it's on this site, come on man you could have found that

http://www.boxingscene.com/over-1300...artinez--55131

Comment

In what world is 400k-500k PPV buys a low number?

Comment

Working...
                      X