No announcement yet.

Bernard Hopkins is a TOP 10 ATG.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by larryx2012 View Post
    1) The first true undisputed champ. No one else in history has held the WBA, WBC, IBF, WBO, and Ring Mag. belt all at the same time.
    That may be true, but Hopkins only reigned when the division was at its weakest.

2) He's defended his World middleweight title over a record 20 fights.
    He defended one portion of the world MW title for 20 fights. Monzon actually was undisputed champion for all of his defenses. BHOP was not.

3) The Oldest man to win a legitimate World title at the age of 46.
    This accolade has nothing to do with greatness. Its definitely a record, but it does not reflect any real ATG value.

4) Besides a prime roy and being too old for Dawson, he has never truly convincingly lost a fight.
    He lost to Taylor! It wasn't a blowout, but he lost. Personally, I thought Winky beat him as well.

5) He has upsetted numerous PRIME top fighters while being a past primed underdog.
    This is true, but let us not make more out of it than it was. I absolutely HATE that aspect of BHOP's career. I love that he finally stepped up his competition late on, but more credit is given in his successes and none is taken in his failures simply BECAUSE OF HIS AGE.

BHOP hid out in a dead MW for too long. That's going to hurt his legacy like it or not. BHOP went half a decade without even facing another champion at MW. The true high points of his career were facing men 2 divisions smaller than his own.

That says a lot.

Face it: From 1988-2000, BHOP was a dud. He defended one, single solitary vacant IBF belt against an assortment of nobodies. BHOP could have easily moved up and took on bigger challenges. He didn't. He waited until no one would hold losses against him to step it up DUE TO AGE. And even then he lost his fair share of fights.

BHOP is no doubt a gladiator .. a dirty gladiator, but a gladiator nonetheless. He's just not as impressive as some make him out to be. And some are willing to turn a blind eye to the fact that his vacant IBF belt didn't make him the lineal undisputed champion for those title defenses. BHOP did not truly equal Monzon's record, let alone break it.

6) King of Controversy: burns a PR flag IN PR! makes openly racist comments on NATIONAL TV!
    That was some Ali shit right there. That took big balls, but that isn't going to earn him any ATG credit.

Bow Down b1tches.

Comment

B-hop to me is one of the top 5-6 middleweights of all time. What that translates to in all weight divisions in any era I am not so sure.

Definitely 50, probably top 40, for me top 30 because I think he was just so smart, incredible defence, and physically he was a freak at middleweight. Huge man, physically strong, B-hop only weakness was speed at the very, very highest level. His wins in his 40's have certainly put his up a notch or 2.

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
        Ezzard Charles is the consensus GOAT at Light-Heavyweight. Everything he did at Heavyweight is just a bonus.

Archie Moore 3-0
        Charley Burley 2-0
        Joey Maxim 2-0 (beat him 3 times at Heavyweight too)
        Jimmy Bivins 3-1 (beat him at Heavyweight as well)
        Lloyd Marshall 2-1
        Teddy Yarosz 1-0

That just his Light-Heavyweight notables. That's 13-2 against ATG or near-ATG fighters.

Poet
        exactly, how could i forget to add charles to my list...

Comment

not even top 20 , top 40 is where he's at

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Tyson77 View Post
            Skill wise you could say they are very close, im just saying B Hop has done more. Not taking anything away from Charles he was a great heavyweight.
            Charles was a great light heavyweight too.

Comment

Originally posted by combatron View Post
              not even top 20 , top 40 is where he's at
              Do you rank manny pac over bernard?

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
                Good Lord....

Out of all the names on that list you chose Ezzard Charles too try and say BHop is greater than ?, he's probably the greatest boxer on it.

Of all the people he chose possibly the greatest fighter on there, a Top 5 ATG.

Comment

Could make a case for top 20-30 but that's pushing it.

Comment

naaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwww

Comment

What kind of undercover hate tread is this?? You know B-Hop isn't liked among fans.

Comment

Working...
                      X