No announcement yet.

Calzaghe SMW reign vs. Hopkins MW reign

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -Lowkey- View Post
    Kessler has achieved more at his natural weight class than Tito did at 160.
    What exactly has Kessler proven? That he can fight a pathetic assortment of tomato cans without having to leave Denmark? :thinking9:

Poet

Comment

Again no Tito didn't do much at 160 who's his best win Joppy? Tito was never a real 160lb fighter i see no point in going back and forth Kessler has achieved more at his natural weight class than Tito did at 160. Tito had 5 fights at 160 he was dominated in 2 of those fights.

Just because Tito is a greater fighter it does not make it a greater win simply because Tito was well north of his best weight class.
      Yes, Joppy.

The same Joppy who was considered a Top 5 MW since 1996.

The same Joppy who was ranked #2 at MW.

And Trinidad moved up in weight and destroyed the #2 ranked MW in 5 Rounds, proving he was a legit MW and carried the weight very effectively. There is not a MW in the world outside of Hopkins who would have had a chance in hell against Tito at that point.

William Joppy is more comparable to Mikkel Kessler than Felix Trinidad is.

Trinidad and Kessler are not comparable. Hopkins win over Tito is head and sholders above the Kessler win.

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
        Except that Kessler was a fraud and not a real big-league opponent.

Poet
        If Kessler is a fraud what does that make the majority of Hopkins opponents at 160?

And yes I know Poet typed the post your user name is clearly visible its a bit like introducing yourself at a party but still feeling the need to state your name after every sentence kinda annoying.

Comment

Just because Tito is a greater fighter it does not make it a greater win simply because Tito was well north of his best weight class.
          Maybe if he didn't prove he was head and shoulders above the rest of the MW division outside of Hopkins.

And going back to the Hearns comparison, which is very good comparison by the way. It's like saying Calzaghe's win over Kessler is better than Haglers win over Hearns.

Both, very ludicrous claims.

Comment

Joppy was arguably an undefeated fighter too. His only loss was the result of point deductions. But he avenged that loss twice, knocking him out in the second matchup.

He was also the champion at MW with 6 title defenses going into the fight with Tito. That fight was a part of a 4 man MW tournament with Joppy, Trinidad, Hopkins and Keith Holmes to determine who would be the first undisputed middleweight champion since Marvin Hagler.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
              Joppy was arguably an undefeated fighter too. His only loss was the result of point deductions. But he avenged that loss twice, knocking him out in the second matchup.

He was also the champion at MW with 6 title defenses going into the fight with Tito. That fight was a part of a 4 man MW tournament with Joppy, Trinidad, Hopkins and Keith Holmes to determine who would be the first undisputed middleweight champion since Marvin Hagler.
              Very close fight, the first fight with Green.

But he didn't knock him out in the second fight but he was dominating.

Comment

Really not interested in going back and forth with this debate any longer Kessler is more accomplished at 168 than Tito is at 160 I'm not going to change my stance neither are you guys this is futile.

I haven't got a big problem with people saying Hopkins reign was better I believe they where both comparably poor and I don't think its ok to sh.it on one and not the other they are both lackluster.

Comment

Two points nobody's bringing up: Trinidad had already lost clearly to DLH. And Trinidad being the perceived favorite was in large part because Hopkins' reign was mostly crap and he lost to Jones in his one step up. Kellerman back then thought David Reid could beat Hopkins. The underlying point is that his middleweight reign wasn't that good. What he did outside the division was great.

And Kessler's win over Froch is better than anything Trinidad did @160.

Comment

Oh I get it. So we're discrediting Trinidad to fit agendas. Quit trying to rewrite history. Felix Trinidad was the number 2 pound for pound fighter in the world and was one of the most devastating punchers in boxing even at middleweight. Nobody picked Hopkins to win that fight.

Comment

If Kessler is a fraud what does that make the majority of Hopkins opponents at 160?
                      Hopkins' worst opponent >>>>>> any of the Eurocans Kessler racked up his record against in his home town.

And yes I know Poet typed the post your user name is clearly visible its a bit like introducing yourself at a party but still feeling the need to state your name after every sentence kinda annoying.
                      Tough ****......deal with it.

Poet

Comment

Working...
                      X