Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Julio Cesar Chavez vs. Sergio Martinez: what's your prediction?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sergio is going to break chavez' nose and end his career. He will say after the fight that he had no idea Sergio was that good,

Comment

Martinez by stoppage (corner stoppage possible) in 8-9 round

Comment

The more I think about it, the more I feel like Sergio will TKO him (already picked Sergio via decision). Martinez doesn't throw many punches, but he's still able to **** up his opponent's face. Chavez got pretty marked up in the Zbik fight, and that was by a guy who has relatively little power. Bad defense and sensitive skin are not a good combination in this sport. This is the fight where Jr's non-stop pressuring could hurt him as much as it would help him. Applying pressure is the only way he'll have a chance of tiring Sergio out with his body attack. However, if he walks in without a jab like he's been doing, Sergio will hit him with jabs, lead lefts and one-twos. Jr's left hook is kryptonite for southpaws, but Jr. will have to get Sergio's rhythm and timing down, or he'll be flailing and getting countered all night. I can imagine Jr. trying to bully Sergio and maneuver him towards the ropes. Majority of the time though, this fight will take place in the middle of the ring where Sergio has the advantage, so Roach should be prepared for that. The toughest parts of the fight for Chavez will be the first 3 rounds and the last 4 rounds.

This will be the fight where we'll see what Chavez has in his skill-set. Up to this point, Jr has shown very little subtlety and finesse. Feinting, head movement, torso movement, and other techniques aren't embedded in his repertoire. He uses a high guard, tends to bend his knees to brace himself for shots, and gets squared up a lot too. He doesn't fight tall either, whether that will help/hurt him in this one I'm not sure.

I'm picking Sergio because of his stamina/speed/power/ability to effectively switch gears/experience/timing.
        Last edited by kiaba360; 08-14-2012, 03:27 PM.

Comment

I got Martinez By KO.

Comment

opps..................
            Last edited by ElMeroChingon; 08-14-2012, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ringlife View Post
              I got Martinez By KO.
              FAiL ?

lol

Comment

Originally posted by ElMeroChingon View Post
                FAiL ?

lol
                reported for being a momo!

Comment

Those who believe Chavez will win, I wanna ya'll to analyze the match-up and tell me why/how Jr. will beat Martinez, I wanna hear other people's thought-process.

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
                    Those who believe Chavez will win, I wanna ya'll to analyze the match-up and tell me why/how Jr. will beat Martinez, I wanna hear other people's thought-process.
                    I wanna hear someone say more than "Chavez Jr. wins." too. How does he do it?

He's going to have to walk Martinez's heavy artilery and not many fighters can take it without being put down, or at least cut up. If he can, and gets to Martinez's body to slow him down, he has a shot. But I can't see that happening. This Martinez's fight to lose IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by El Angel View Post
                      I wanna hear someone say more than "Chavez Jr. wins." too. How does he do it?

He's going to have to walk Martinez's heavy artilery and not many fighters can take it without being put down, or at least cut up. If he can, and gets to Martinez's body to slow him down, he has a shot. But I can't see that happening. This Martinez's fight to lose IMO.
                      I can envision multiple scenarios where Martinez gets the victory, and I can't do the same for Chavez. He's a one-dimensional fighter, and hasn't bothered showing anything else. Jr. will most likely not box like Barker and Macklin did, and that's what gave them success early on. They forced Sergio to adjust his tactics to get those victories. I thought Jr. gave a good performance against Lee, but other than their southpaw stances, Lee/Martinez do not fight alike. Martinez utilizes head/torso/lateral movement and world-class stamina to go with it. He rarely stands straight up, he'll bend slightly at the waist to mess with his opponent's perspective of range, or to angle himself so he can throw his straight left. I don't think there's any sparring partner that could replicate Sergio's style well enough for Jr. to feel 100% confident going into the ring. From what I've heard from Roach, it sounds like he's banking on Jr's chin and weight to make the difference

If Chavez fights with the "He can't hurt me, I'm walking through anything" mentality, he might as well just lay down in the first round and save himself from the pain and humiliation
                      Last edited by kiaba360; 08-14-2012, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X