Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Julio Cesar Chavez vs. Sergio Martinez: what's your prediction?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

I have a feeling Martinez is going to gas out, he has in his last 4 fights. The ONLY thing that has saved him is that he carries his power well throughout the fight, but that's out the window if Jr can take his shots, which i think he probably will but anything can happen. This is also what i believe happened against Margarito. Martinez has improved since, a better measure of distance, as he uses his athleticism much more effectively to jump in and counter.

This is going to be a great fight regardless, both fighters have a good chance.

Who knows right

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
        I can envision multiple scenarios where Martinez gets the victory, and I can't do the same for Chavez. He's a one-dimensional fighter, and hasn't bothered showing anything else. Jr. will most likely not box like Barker and Macklin did, and that's what gave them success early on. They forced Sergio to adjust his tactics to get those victories. I thought Jr. gave a good performance against Lee, but other than their southpaw stances, Lee/Martinez do not fight alike. Martinez utilizes head/torso/lateral movement and world-class stamina to go with it. He rarely stands straight up, he'll bend slightly at the waist to mess with his opponent's perspective of range, or to angle himself so he can throw his straight left. I don't think there's any sparring partner that could replicate Sergio's style well enough for Jr. to feel 100% confident going into the ring. From what I've heard from Roach, it sounds like he's banking on Jr's chin and weight to make the difference

If Chavez fights with the "He can't hurt me, I'm walking through anything" mentality, he might as well just lay down in the first round and save himself from the pain and humiliation
        100% agree. Chavez Jr.'s strategy of just eating power shots and breaking you down will fail eventually. Martinez's will have a huge target for his straight left, right hook, and 1-2. Chavez Jr. is better on the inside, but Martinez is very moblie and active in the ring. He'll keep turning Chavez Jr. and won't let him set his feet.

Roach does sound like he is relying primarily on Chavez Jr. being Chavez Jr. again and just bullying Martinez. Chavez Jr.'s chin or skin will betray him in that scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by ElMeroChingon View Post
          I have a feeling Martinez is going to gas out, he has in his last 4 fights. The ONLY thing that has saved him is that he carries his power well throughout the fight, but that's out the window if Jr can take his shots, which i think he probably will but anything can happen. This is also what i believe happened against Margarito. Martinez has improved since, a better measure of distance, as he uses his athleticism much more effectively to jump in and counter.

Who knows right
          I don't think he's tiring out. The fact that he's done it in his last 3 fights and yet still been able to stop his opponent late, means that it's part of his strategy. That's what I was referring to as "switching gears". Martinez doesn't fight at one pace for the entire fight, he'll switch tempos on the fly and sees how his opponent acts, and then he'll react. It's his way of maintaining ring generalship, and his way of physically/mentally tiring his opponents out. His last 4 opponents tried to box him, so he'll probably change up this strategy against Chavez.

Martinez is a very smart fighter, he might seem very reckless and sloppy, but there's a science to what he does.
          Last edited by kiaba360; 08-14-2012, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
            I think Chavez Jr's youth and aggression will make it a very difficult fight for the aging Martinez.

What do you think?
            My opinion is that Martinez is going to Bute Chavez.

Definition of Bute, verb; to beat the snot out of an overated, overhyped, overprotected fighter over the course of several rounds until said fighter can no longer continue to fight.

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
              I don't think he's tiring out. The fact that he's done it in his last 3 fights and yet still been able to stop his opponent late, means that it's part of his strategy. That's what I was referring to as "switching gears". Martinez doesn't fight at one pace for the entire fight, he'll switch tempos on the fly and sees how his opponent acts, and then he'll react. It's his way of maintaining ring generalship, and his way of physically/mentally tiring his opponents out. His last 4 opponents tried to box him, so he'll probably change up this strategy against Chavez.

Martinez is a very smart fighter, he might seem very reckless and sloppy, but there's a science to what he does.
              sergio to me seems to take about 4 rounds off most of the time in the middle rounds where he may seem tired but i think it's just a strategy he uses so that he doesn't get tired late because if you look at alot of his fights he seems to very good in early rounds (1-4)and the late rounds (10-12)

Comment

Chavez comes in looking huge compared to Sergio. He expects to eat Sergio's punches and wear him down to the body against the ropes. Sergio will use his speed and footwork to give Chavez angles and will be tough to catch early on. Around round 4 Sergio starts to time Chavez with ease and turns the fight into a one sided affair. One of two things happens next. Either Sergio stops Chavez in around 9 or 10 on his feet, or Sergio gets tired from the constant movement and from throwing bombs. Chavez then gets his back against the rope and uses his size to bully Sergio and make it close on the cards (meaning uncle bob buys a win for jr.) My prediction? Sergio by absolute comical stoppage. Chavez has no defense, is too slow, and has never fought anyone with speed and a punch.

Comment

The fight will last as long as "Sugar" Cesar Chavez wants it to. If he's got other business that night, Martinez will end up out cold on Larry Merchant's lap in round 1; if Chavez has time, he may punish Martinez over 12 rounds for ducking him for the past 2 years.

Comment

martinez will put too much pressure on him

Comment

• Originally posted by ElMeroChingon View Post

Who knows right
                      Martinez has fantastic stamina, he's one of the boxers with better physical preparation out there.

Martinez relies on his footwork to offend and defend, and that's why he's so athletic, and I've never seen him "tired" ... sure, he slows down a little bit especially in the middle rounds, but IMO he does that on purpose to actually take advantage in the final rounds (8-12) where his opponent is more tired than him.

Comment

Working...
                      X