Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone old enough to have watched tyson vs mcneeley? do you remember this?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember. That was one great fight party I was at.

Comment

That **** was hilarious. Fight was the bomb. I met him and we shadow boxed together about 5 years after that.

Peter that is...

Comment

the hurricane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I always hated how that fight ended: McNeeley's corner man entered the ring after the second knockdown and surrendered his fighter. McNeeley was game that night and fought bravely albeit his haymakers were not finding their mark but still, his corner should've let him fight on even if the knockout was inevitable. They totally overacted IMO

Comment

I always hated how that fight ended: McNeeley's corner man entered the ring after the second knockdown and surrendered his fighter. McNeeley was game that night and fought bravely albeit his haymakers were not finding their mark but still, his corner should've let him fight on even if the knockout was inevitable. They totally overacted IMO
            I think it was their plan all along. Not a spontaneous decision and I think Peter knew it. Why else would he start so fast. He knew he would be rescued a matter of secnds later so no need for him to conserve energy. He thought he may aswel try and look good and go out swinging so he can make out like he gave it a go beofre the stoppage. Cheap tactics. Should have taken the loss like a man instead of having his team quit so soon into the fight.

What a disgrace a corner savinbg their guys just seconds in. If he had taken a sustained beating for afew rounds you can understand but they didnt even want him to give it his all. Tyson got nothing from it either. He didnt even act ashamed afterwards but he should have been.

Comment

I was a fifth grader when i saw this fight, Tyson was a household name and everyone was talking about the fight, everyone's saying that that guy Mcneely is just a tune up fight for Mike. I wasn't into boxing until I saw this fight and became a huge fan. Mike Tyson and Oscar dela Hoya were my childhood boxing idols.

Comment

the good old joe hipp beating by seldon setting up an eventual fight with tyson...don king bringing us 2 quality fights post jail but made millions on the fight...this is the reason tyson was never the same as before prison. before prison he came back from the lost to have a couple decent scraps with ruddock but after prison he never fought enough rounds or quality opponents to be ready for holyfield...

Comment

Originally posted by PD21 View Post
                  The 2nd knockdown was a left hook that Tyson landed on Seldon. Cant complain about that one but the body language of Bruce just showed he wanted out of there. 1st KD shouldnt have put an athlete on the floor as the punch missed. He also wanted tehr ef to stop it cuz when he got up he shook his head and did a Judah dance.

Bruno could absorb a better punch but he was so slow it was painful. He almost got D.q'd for holding. Mathis had a gameplan of sticking close to Mike but when he was caught he was out of it. Mcneelys tactics was throw it all at Mike then get rescued by his corner when that failed.

Tyson basically had no prep for Holyfield but King didnt think hed need to cuz the Bowe and Chyz fights indicated that Evander was done. They also thought Tyson was back to his best.
                  i watched a segment on seldon a few years ago how he is training boxers. he talked about how he wasn't really hurt bad but he was so overwhelmed by the magnitute of the event he had a meltdown. one thing i found interesting was seldon took his $3000000 purse paid off all his families debts including parents & siblings & put the rest into the bank & he will only get like $30000 every year for the rest of his life. his immediate family has no debt but regular bills & he still worked a job. he cashed out bigtime on that fight. he was in his late 20's i believe when that fight happened.
                  Last edited by joe strong; 06-19-2012, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Oh man I remember that fight well. The staredown that Tyson gave Mcneely before the fight sent chills down my spine, it was scary as hell.
                    I also remember Tyson fighting on network TV, I believe it was on Fox, for his next fight after Mcneely as a goodwill gesture after the outrage that so many people had after paying for this garbage. Imagine if the internet had been big back in those days, it would have been an epic meltdown!

Comment

Originally posted by QballLobo View Post
                      Oh man I remember that fight well. The staredown that Tyson gave Mcneely before the fight sent chills down my spine, it was scary as hell.
                      I also remember Tyson fighting on network TV, I believe it was on Fox, for his next fight after Mcneely as a goodwill gesture after the outrage that so many people had after paying for this garbage. Imagine if the internet had been big back in those days, it would have been an epic meltdown!
                      That was an awesome staredown. Tyson's eyes just followed him as he moved from side to side.

Don King was also in a war with HBO at the time and decided to put the next Tyson fight on Fox to cut into some of the buys for the Holyfield/Bowe 3 PPV.

Comment

Working...
                      X