Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roy Jones vs this era's best Super Middleweights, how would he have performed?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gmc_rfc_06 View Post
    Ward.

Mayweather too, but yeah, Ward.

Not taking anything away from Roy btw, he's one of the best ever.
    And I'm a fan of Ward but no fighter on his resume screams "He can easily adapt to the skills and abilities of Roy Jones" which is what a lot of folks were saying earlier in the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
      And what happened when Jones showed up serious? Answer: They had to use a squeegee to scrape Griffin's splattered remains out of the ring after one round.

End thread.

Poet
      Get the **** out of here with the exaggeration post/end thread bull*****...

The rematch performance doesn't erase his performance and the issues Griffin presented to him in the first fight.

Safe to say that if that's your argument as to why Ward and Dirrell couldn't compete and possibly beat RJ, you have no argument (an extremely weak one technically).

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
        And I'm a fan of Ward but no fighter on his resume screams "He can easily adapt to the skills and abilities of Roy Jones" which is what a lot of folks were saying earlier in the thread.
        I don't think anyone would have an easy time adjusting to Roy, but Ward has shown a lot of things in his career and it's still early.

We've seen him box, we've seen him dominate inside, we've sen him frustrate opponents, we've seen him adjust when needed; Of course he hasn't fought anyone like Roy, but he's shown a lot of very good things.

Comment

Originally posted by QUELOQUE View Post
          Get the **** out of here with the exaggeration post/end thread bull*****...

The rematch performance doesn't erase his performance and the issues Griffin presented to him in the first fight.

Safe to say that if that's your argument as to why Ward and Dirrell couldn't compete and possibly beat RJ, you have no argument (an extremely weak one technically).
          My argument is VERY simple. So simple even YOU should be able to comprehend it. Now read this VERY slowly and VERY carefully: Roy. Jones. Is. A. Much. Better. Fighter. Than. Ward. And. Dirrell. That's the bottom-line and it's why Ward and Dirrell wouldn't have been able to compete with Jones.

PS. How in the hell was my previous post an exaggeration? Griffin got KTFO in the first round in an extremely brutal fashion. No exaggeration there at all.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
            Ward and Dirrell beat him.

Ward is smarter.

Dirrell doesn't fight directly, he sticks and moves. It would frustrate the hell out of Roy and he'd likely end up over reaching for shots, leaving himself vulnerable.
            ??????????????????

Comment

Comment

Roy Jones Jr embarrasses Andre Ward and Co. LOL @ people thinking otherwise. Go watch Jones at 168 and his few first fights at Light Heavy. Seriously Ward is a smart fighter and good athlete but Jones was a freak of nature. There's a reason people still say him losing today won't tarnish his accomplishments. Honestly dedicate a night to watching his fights and educate yourselves.

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
                Could be argued. I think Ward would beat James Toney prime for prime. And I was a Toney fan before.
                Wow the boxing "fans" of today are something else. Shoot yourself for this post.

Comment

As much as I love Andre Ward, I'd call him and a prime Jones an 80-20 fight for Roy. At his best he was just too fast and too powerful. His reflexes were out of this world. Now I also don't think we've seen Ward at his best, but regardless Jones is the pick.

Comment

My argument is VERY simple. So simple even YOU should be able to comprehend it. Now read this VERY slowly and VERY carefully: Roy. Jones. Is. A. Much. Better. Fighter. Than. Ward. And. Dirrell. That's the bottom-line and it's why Ward and Dirrell wouldn't have been able to compete with Jones.

PS. How in the hell was my previous post an exaggeration? Griffin got KTFO in the first round in an extremely brutal fashion. No exaggeration there at all.

Poet
                    And what happened when Jones showed up serious? Answer: They had to use a squeegee to scrape Griffin's splattered remains out of the ring after one round.

End thread.

Poet
                    Would it be the first time the "lesser" fighter won a fight? Would it be the first time styles and gameplanning played a factor in a fight? Forget it... I don't expect a reasonable response from someone such as yourself.

Not only do you dick ride to the point of anopia of your ignorance, but you're an arrogant, nescient assh0le as well... a couple of excellent traits. Good luck with that... There's nothing to gain from this experience, so I'll bow out.

Comment

Originally posted by EdMon917 View Post
                      Roy Jones Jr embarrasses Andre Ward and Co. LOL @ people thinking otherwise. Go watch Jones at 168 and his few first fights at Light Heavy. Seriously Ward is a smart fighter and good athlete but Jones was a freak of nature. There's a reason people still say him losing today won't tarnish his accomplishments. Honestly dedicate a night to watching his fights and educate yourselves.

Wow the boxing "fans" of today are something else. Shoot yourself for this post.
                      I've been on the game since Leonard got me into it, son.

Ward is the only one who would compete with Roy, but Jones handles him. Too much speed and athletic ability for Ward, I wouldn't pick anyone to beat Roy prime for prime H2H.

Toney at 168 vs. Ward at 168, would be a very competitive fight. Toney isn't going to roll through Ward, who has underrated strength, and lets not act like Andre wouldn't try to spoil things. And though Toney would have the edge inside, WArd is a fairly solid inside fighter himself.

Toney-Ward would be a good fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X