Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roy Jones vs this era's best Super Middleweights, how would he have performed?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by check hook View Post
    Better chin, better power, better inside fighter, better outside fighter. Why wouldn't he be. Ward couldn't even try to spoil Toney inside.
    But you made it seem like at 168 that Toney would walk through Andre, I think that'd be a very competitive fight, but that's just me.

Anyways, Ward would be the only one to compete, but Roy would handle him.

Comment

Andre Ward would NOT have been competetive, neither would anyone else.

Comment

Ward would frustrate Jones, but he wouldn't win.

Comment

I will lay it out for everyone plain and simple, the current guys at 68 have no hope of beating RJJ at that weighclass. PLEASE STOP! You are all embarrassing yourselves. The same applies for James Toney.

This is combat sports. Anything can happen.

Take a cut from a headbutt, things go south pretty quickly.

Find yourself chasing an opponent all night? You could be on the wrong end of the cards.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
            But you made it seem like at 168 that Toney would walk through Andre, I think that'd be a very competitive fight, but that's just me.

Anyways, Ward would be the only one to compete, but Roy would handle him.

Competitive, possibly, but he isn't winning. You asked me how?? Now tell me how Ward is going to beat a guy he can't outbox on the outside or mug on the inside??

Comment

Ward would frustrate Jones, but he wouldn't win.
              I agree with you, don't know why you make it seem like I'm not.

I do think Ward could beat Toney at 168, but I think it'd be a very competitive fight, could go either way.

Ward would be able to compete with Roy, but I don't think I'd pick anyone to beat a prime Roy Jones H2H.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
                Seriously cuz. But this isn't Ward vs Toney.

This is Roy vs. Ward.

I keep reading about what Roy "hasn't seen". What about what Andre Ward hasn't seen?

He has not faced a boxer with the athleticism, handspeed and power that Roy Jones possesses. He hasn't seen a guy that will circle the ring, throw double and triple left hooks, constantly moving away from him. Andre Ward's resume consists of:

Edison Miranda
                Mikell Kessler
                Allan Green
                Sakio Bika
                Arthur Abraham
                Carl Froch

All those fighters stand in front of him and allow him to beat them up on the inside, clinch and frustrate them. Why would Roy Jones even TRY to make this fight on the inside in the first place? Toney and Hopkins tried to do just that. Jones circled the ring, gave them constant head movement, kept the fight on the outside and doubled and tripled his jabs and hooks, countered beautifly and basically coasted through both fights.

You can't assume Ward can automatically adjust to Jones style, but not the other way around. Jones has seen more fighters in the Ward mold than the other way around.
                Ward vs Dawson and Dirrell are fights that need to happen, so that Ward is not plagued with ducking defensive style fighters. So far he's shown he's superior against the fighters he supposed to be superior against[at least in my eyes, I favored him over Kessler, Abraham, Green, Bika, Froch, Miranda]. But the fights that are 50-50 for me, are Ward vs Dirrell and Ward vs Dawson. At least he's fighting Dawson. Then after that, if he wins, he can take his "easy" fight against Kessler II or Froch II, and I want him to fight Andre Dirrell after that. Not saying Ward needs to prove himself, he already, winning the Super 6 was not easy at all, he made it look a bit easy, barely losing rounds, but it wasn't easy.

Comment

Let's start small fellas. Roy went a looong stretches without losing a ROUND.

Who on the list has the best chances of possibly appearing to win one single round?

If I had to throw one fighter out there for one round against a prime jones and hope he could win it, it would be Calzaghe. So, just based on that I'm pick Slappy as the only one to stand a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
                    This is combat sports. Anything can happen.

Take a cut from a headbutt, things go south pretty quickly.

Find yourself chasing an opponent all night? You could be on the wrong end of the cards.

James and Roy never "chased" they cut off the ring. Nunn was taking all the early rds off Toney who was catching up late and eventually finsihed him by cutting off the ring. Dirrell hasn't proiven himself to be better than Nunn at this stage.

"Anything can happen." Sure, but we are talking about what is likely to happen, not what could happen.

Comment

RJJ at 168 would have lost single digit rounds IN THE ENTIRE SUPER 6. Maybe 2 rounds the entire S6. He would absolutely dominate every fighter at 168. This is the most gifted fighter of all time fihting at his prime weight.

Comment

Working...
                      X