Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roy Jones vs this era's best Super Middleweights, how would he have performed?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MRBOOMER View Post
    No they don't get that much either they can mop the sweat from under the heavy bag after jones hits it that's it
    And if they're REAL lucky Roy will let them use their tongues to do the mopping :cool9:

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
      And if they're REAL lucky Roy will let them use their tongues to do the mopping :cool9:
      Not even that good

That's too close to Roy they just get to entertain him like jesters.

Comment

Originally posted by MRBOOMER View Post
        Not even that good

That's too close to Roy they just get to entertain him like jesters.
        Works for me :cool9:

Comment

Originally posted by TX_BOXNG View Post
          i watched that fight against kelly dude, he was really unknown n he wasnt that good at all, but yea RJJR is the most amazing fighter ive ever seen
          I'm glad you saw it, you'll probably never see another like it. I think he dropped him in an earlier round too. Kelly was from Australia I think and was the IBF something-or-other champion. So he wasn't bad, but very ordinary compred to Jones.

I think the only fiighter who really gave Jones any trouble before Tarver got in that lucky punch, was Montell Griffin in their first fight. He fought the fight of his life, but was actually nearly KO'd when Jones hit him with his knee touching the canvas. I think that Jones' punch sort of woke him up and he realised that he had a chance to get a DQ so played it well. A Hopkins sort of stunt. So he could have credibly been said to be unbeaten until the Tarver fight.

If you ever saw Benny Leonard fight you'd see a similiar sort of fighter, on a smaller scale. Hardly ever went straight back, but more to the side, very elusive, with a KO punch. He was lightweight champ for about 7-8 years, retired unbeaten as champ. Only 5'5". Died in the ring when refereeing. About 50 years old.

Comment

You guys are.......

I think you guys are over-rating Jones here. He was a good fighter, the fastest fighter I ever seen BUT he fought a lot of cab drivers, construction workers, and Policemen. When he beat Toney, Toney wasn't focused on boxing and started gaining too much weight between fights. He was weight-drained in that fight and wasn't himself that night. When Roy beat Hopkins, Hopkins wasn't ready for that fight just yet.

I've been reading all these posts picking Roy in every fight hands down and it just doesn't work that way. One thing Roy never had to display in his prime was the ability to handle adversity and toughness. He didn't get touched. There are more than a few guys from the supersix that his speed would not defeat alone. When you fight at this level, you get touched and we all know what happens when Roy gets touched. I am not saying he would lose all of those fights, but he would lose a couple of them. I think Froch, Ward, Dirrel, and Kessler would give him all he can handle. We all know that Bute is a hype job and Roy would K.O. him. Dawson as well. And for the record, if he had not dodged my boy Michael "second to" Nunn back in the day, he would have gotten beat up in that fight too!

Comment

Originally posted by GOD-FR33 View Post
              I think you guys are over-rating Jones here. He was a good fighter, the fastest fighter I ever seen BUT he fought a lot of cab drivers, construction workers, and Policemen. When he beat Toney, Toney wasn't focused on boxing and started gaining too much weight between fights. He was weight-drained in that fight and wasn't himself that night. When Roy beat Hopkins, Hopkins wasn't ready for that fight just yet.

I've been reading all these posts picking Roy in every fight hands down and it just doesn't work that way. One thing Roy never had to display in his prime was the ability to handle adversity and toughness. He didn't get touched. There are more than a few guys from the supersix that his speed would not defeat alone. When you fight at this level, you get touched and we all know what happens when Roy gets touched. I am not saying he would lose all of those fights, but he would lose a couple of them. I think Froch, Ward, Dirrel, and Kessler would give him all he can handle. We all know that Bute is a hype job and Roy would K.O. him. Dawson as well. And for the record, if he had not dodged my boy Michael "second to" Nunn back in the day, he would have gotten beat up in that fight too!
              I'm sorry, I like Michael Nunn, he was one of my favorite fighters from the 90s, but there's no way he'd have beaten Jones.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
                Could be argued. I think Ward would beat James Toney prime for prime. And I was a Toney fan before.
                An in conditioned Toney outboxes Ward to an easy decision. Bad match up for Ward

Comment

Originally posted by LA_2_Vegas View Post
                  Only Calzaghe and Ward have displayed the type of fortitude and mental makeup it takes to beat Roy in his prime imo. yes, other are iron willed, but these two take it to another level to me.

I don't think Ward has the quickness or footspeed to do it...he also is not active enough to give the impression that he is making the fight against the showman Roy. Calzaghe, on the other hand, does have the quickness and foot speed and rhythm that is takes to appear to be dictating the action in order to win rounds.....in their primes it would have been really funny to see them try to out showboat each other and not give the appearance of giving in to each other. I know RJ fans will always point to that first rd against Joe as the evidence of what would have been if he was prime...but going down early like that was also a trait of Calzaghe's...so that fight, those early moments, really were just a tease on what could have been.

I'd like to think Dirrell could be one of the best too, but he still has some things to work out yet
                  Seriously Roy puts Joe to sleep. Joe doesn't have the power to hurt Roy, and he can't out speed him. Idk what people talk about here but Calzaghe was a pretty easy guy to hit. Kessler, Hopkins, even old Roy tagged Joe when they threw punches. Roy puts him to sleep with in 9. Easy paycheck

Comment

I think Dirrell and Ward would have spanked Roy Jones, but I d favor Roy over the others.

Comment

• I think prime Roy would beat anyone today 160-168.

Comment

Working...
                      X