Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does your love for boxing make you biased towards MMA/UFC?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love Boxing and MMA. Both fanbase have their share of bad apples. The issues I have with boxing is the best rarely fight the best and that a loss can set you back so much now unlike MMA where if you lose fighting the best you can still come back. That's all due to good promotion by Dana White. Top it off MMA has so much momentum going for it, it's more likely to be a mainstream sport in a couple of years compared to boxing. My 2c.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Invincible View Post
      I watch both but prefer boxing. Most of my friends watch both but prefer MMA. I don't blame them.

On a side note, MMA is losing some of it's fizzle. They don't make the super fights like they used to and it's starting to show.
      Thing is there's really no super fights in UFC and for the last several years the best have been fighting the best. I guess that's a good and bad thing being the best have fought the best more often than not, but now there's some what of a gap within the divisions (mainly Middleweight and Light Heavyweight). The Lightweight and Featherweight divisions are stacked though, but those guys aren't the headliners but most of the time steal the show.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
        I love Boxing and MMA. Both fanbase have their share of bad apples. The issues I have with boxing is the best rarely fight the best and that a loss can set you back so much now unlike MMA where if you lose fighting the best you can still come back. That's all due to good promotion by Dana White. Top it off MMA has so much momentum going for it, it's more likely to be a mainstream sport in a couple of years compared to boxing. My 2c.
        MMA will never be a mainstream sport, ever, it has too much of a blood sport reputation for that to happen (not that I agree with it). MMA has its niche of fans, which has grown over the years, but its been stagnate for quite a while.

I never get the UFC is bigger than boxing argument either, when UFC puts on its biggest fights the same niche of fans watches it. However, when the top boxers fight even the average sports fan tunes in and talks about the following Monday at the water cooler. Not so with UFC.

Comment

The best don't really fight the best in MMA. Each promotion company only does in-house matchmaking. The UFC is the equivalent of Top Rank having it's own championships (which it does a lot but not all the time).

Comment

ufc puts out a ppv almost every month i believe

while they don't do the numbers boxing does in a single day, they obviously have a lot more ppv events (most if not all have sold out gates) which equals to bigger numbers

Comment

Originally posted by turkas View Post
              MMA will never be a mainstream sport, ever, it has too much of a blood sport reputation for that to happen (not that I agree with it). MMA has its niche of fans, which has grown over the years, but its been stagnate for quite a while.

I never get the UFC is bigger than boxing argument either, when UFC puts on its biggest fights the same niche of fans watches it. However, when the top boxers fight even the average sports fan tunes in and talks about the following Monday at the water cooler. Not so with UFC.
              It's already coming out more on ESPN and other sports networks more than boxing. Kids who are the future are getting much much more into MMA and end up loving the sport. That's why I said future and I can see the steps to it in the present.

When top boxers fight? And how often does that happen?
              The average american sports fan talks more about MMA while hispanics talk more about boxing. That's from what I've seen so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
                The best don't really fight the best in MMA. Each promotion company only does in-house matchmaking. The UFC is the equivalent of Top Rank having it's own championships (which it does a lot but not all the time).
                It does a lot more than boxing. In MMA fantasy fights are more likely to become a reality than boxing.

Comment

It's already coming out more on ESPN and other sports networks more than boxing. Kids who are the future are getting much much more into MMA and end up loving the sport. That's why I said future and I can see the steps to it in the present.

When top boxers fight? And how often does that happen?
                  The average american sports fan talks more about MMA while hispanics talk more about boxing. That's from what I've seen so far.
                  I've had conversations at work with people about UFC, just general what do you think stuff, but never about specific fighters or recent matches. However in constrat I've had people tell me "Man that sucker punch Mayweather gave Ortiz was crap" or "Man, I really thought that Marquez guy beat Pacqiao", these aren't boxing fans either just sports fans.

Perhaps instead of saying boxing is bigger when the best fight the best I should have said boxing is bigger than UFC when the biggest stars fight, because that is a fact. When the biggest boxers fight they will always be watched by the average sports guy unlike when the best UFC guys fight.

As far as espn, yeah they have that UFC show, but they also have FNF which is a much longer program that airs during prime time. Also, maybe I'm wrong about this, but when was the last time ESPN aired a weigh in for UFC, because they always have the big boxing weigh ins live.

I'll give you a lot more kids like UFC these days, but that's got more to do with it being the cool and popular thing to do than them actually liking it. I would say a handful of the kids I teach actually watch it.

Comment

It does a lot more than boxing. In MMA fantasy fights are more likely to become a reality than boxing.
                    Dude, in MMA there's no co-promotions. These fantasy fights are always in-house.

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
                      Yes if Top Rank had 95% of the top fighters. Then it would be exactly the same.

Comment

Working...
                      X