No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Mercito Gesta To Return on July 20th ESPN FNF Card

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by richardt View Post
    AdamantiumPI - You mention Benavidez Jr. and he is the most protected prospect there is. His last 2 fights were no hopers with sub 500 records while other fighters with 14-0 records fight on ShoBox against unbeaten fighters like themselves.
    Benavidez Jr. is 20 years old and Top Rank likes to give their fighters soft opposition. Decent Pinoy boxers above 130 are hard to find which are the money making divisions. I expect Arum to protect Gesta for this reason. Gesta is getting a lot of hype considering his weak opposition and average skills.

Comment

Originally posted by komandante View Post
      I don't see Gesta being protected by Top Rank guided maybe unless you're a Filipino haters.

I'm not a pinoy hater. I also do agree that Gesta is being guided not so much protected at this point because there isn't much to protect as he doesn't have much status yet. I am predicting that Arum WILL protect Gesta like he does JCC Jr. because decent pinoy boxers above 130 are hard to find.

Comment

Originally posted by Samsrealtor View Post
        Why not fight the interim Champion Richard Abril ??

abril would mop the floor with this kid and arum would lose all of the money he's spent promoting him.

even if he somehow wins (which he certainly will not,) he's going to look horrible
        everybody looks bad against abril.

abril is a very good fighter
        one of the best in the world right now at LW, if not the very best.

in fact, he's an awful style for marquez as well. he'd beat marquez at his age.

Comment

[QUOTE=AdamantiumPI;12161210]Benavidez Jr. is 20 years old and Top Rank likes to give their fighters soft opposition.QUOTE]Benavidez has NO problem fighting 27 year olds as long as their records are 4-4-2 and 6-9-0 so age has nothing to do with it. And his next fight is with a guy with 2 losses in a row. Real courage there.
          Last edited by richardt; 05-23-2012, 11:38 AM.

Comment

While fighters who are 14-0 are fighting 20-1, and 17-0 fighters on ShoBox, Benavidez is being spoon-fed gravy train stiffs like 6-7 James Hope. Benavidez is OVERPROTECTED, just like David Lemiuex was. Obviously team Benavidez has very little confidence in him putting him in with stiffs. I'll stick to watching undefeated's going against undefeated's on ShoxBox than the crap Benavidez is fighting.
            Last edited by richardt; 05-23-2012, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Hahahaha FNF, where Gesta belongs.

Comment

gesta imo shouldn't have even been mentioned as a possible opponent for marquez considering he really had done nothing to deserve that shot. I think gesta fighting this undefeated fighter next is a good step up...wouldn't mind seeing it.

Comment

Originally posted by SoggyLungs View Post
                  gesta imo shouldn't have even been mentioned as a possible opponent for marquez.
                  And the unknown Sedchenko was????

Comment

Originally posted by richardt View Post
                    While fighters who are 14-0 are fighting 20-1, and 17-0 fighters on ShoBox, Benavidez is being spoon-fed gravy train stiffs like 6-7 James Hope. Benavidez is OVERPROTECTED, just like David Lemiuex was. Obviously team Benavidez has very little confidence in him putting him in with stiffs. I'll stick to watching undefeated's going against undefeated's on ShoxBox than the crap Benavidez is fighting.
                    You make some good points but like I said Benavidez is still only 20 years old with 14 fights. Benavidez should be stepping up his competition soon. If not, then I will completely agree with you.

It's good see Gesta fighting another undefeated fighter. Gesta is slowly improving but I just don't think he's talented enough to be a legitimate star. I would like to see Gesta prove me wrong. I also think Benavidez will go on to have a better career than Gesta.

Richardt who do you think is the better prospect, Gesta or Benavidez Jr.?

Comment

Originally posted by AdamantiumPI View Post
                      Richardt who do you think is the better prospect, Gesta or Benavidez Jr.?
                      Prospects can go in different directions by not living up to expectations, out of the ring trouble, bad training habits, unforeseen flaws....no way to tell. I only care that they step up. Look who Roy Jones fought before his 11th fight. Oscar fought top fighters quickly. When a fighter is overprotected, his team is not confident.

Comment

Working...
                      X