Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by New England View Post
    wipe the floor huh?

pre madana, you say?

I finally understand what he was trying to say.
    Last edited by Derranged; 02-08-2013, 10:36 PM.

Comment

• There are guys in any era that compare favorably with some of the best of the past and guys in the past who don't. That's always true. Even the best of the best of the best had losses for the most part, sometimes to guys who don't rate super high historically. Ray Robinson had fits with Turpin both times. I don't think Turpin beats Monzon, Hagler, or Hopkins. Doesn't mean Robinson couldn't (I tend to think he would).

Rating fighters is often about stacking talent and accomplishment. The most talented of yesteryear just had such deep resumes that they have the evidence to be called better. That's fair. It doesn't mean if they were transported to today they would just walk through everyone in a couple rounds.

But it's not just old time affection to watch the best of, for instance, Ezzard Charles that's available, factor in dominant wins over Moore and Burley at Light Heavy and Middle, and say "Better than Roy Jones."

It's a pretty sound argument.

It's not automatic old is better...it depends on who the question is about.

Comment

• top 10 no doubt -

1. Ray Robinson
        2. Hank Armstrong
        3. Harry Greb
        4. Sam Langford
        5. Ezzard Charles
        6. Muhammad Ali
        7. Ben Leonard
        8. Roberto Duran
        9. Archie Moore
        10. Ray Leonard

Comment

• Originally posted by UrDazed View Post
          top 10 no doubt -

1. Ray Robinson
          2. Hank Armstrong
          3. Harry Greb
          4. Sam Langford
          5. Ezzard Charles
          6. Muhammad Ali
          7. Ben Leonard
          8. Roberto Duran
          9. Archie Moore
          10. Ray Leonard
          I'd rate Greb and Langford over Hank but you pretty much can't miss with that top five. Some would argue for Pep.

Comment

• Originally posted by crold1 View Post
            I'd rate Greb and Langford over Hank but you pretty much can't miss with that top five. Some would argue for Pep.
            I have Greb tops a lot, Armstrong too, this was just a quick off the top. I don't mind Pep or Fitzimmons in the top 10, I just find other fighters with greater skills and wins to trump them usually.

I'd put Walker in over Fitzimmons IMO

Comment

• Originally posted by UrDazed View Post
              I have Greb tops a lot, Armstrong too, this was just a quick off the top. I don't mind Pep or Fitzimmons in the top 10, I just find other fighters with greater skills and wins to trump them usually.

I'd put Walker in over Fitzimmons IMO
              Fitz wouldn't crack my top ten at all. Important historical figure. Great fighter. It got better.

Then again, under HIS rules, who knows.

Comment

• Turpin earned a decision in England and a few months later Sugar welcomed him to his hometown NYC and Ko'd him in 11!!!! In 1951 Sugar was touring all over the world and taking on anyone with some money!!!!
                As the story is told Sugar was comfortablly ahead in the fight and recieved a bad cut in the 9th round that put the fight in jepardy. In the 10th Turpin was KO'd and returned to England empty handed!
                The bottom line is its all right there on film, speed, power, brains and the will to win. Sugar Ray Robinson remains the greatest boxer/fighter ever! Ray.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                  Turpin earned a decision in England and a few months later Sugar welcomed him to his hometown NYC and Ko'd him in 11!!!! In 1951 Sugar was touring all over the world and taking on anyone with some money!!!!
                  As the story is told Sugar was comfortablly ahead in the fight and recieved a bad cut in the 9th round that put the fight in jepardy. In the 10th Turpin was KO'd and returned to England empty handed!
                  The bottom line is its all right there on film, speed, power, brains and the will to win. Sugar Ray Robinson remains the greatest boxer/fighter ever! Ray.
                  Yeah, and Turpin was giving him fits the same way again. The fight was atually about even on points. Ray was cut and in danger of being stopped, and Ruby Goldstein let Ray get away with murder to finish it. Ray was AWESOME that round but he pulled out every foul trick he had in those three minutes.

Comment

• Originally posted by crold1 View Post
                    Yeah, and Turpin was giving him fits the same way again. The fight was atually about even on points. Ray was cut and in danger of being stopped, and Ruby Goldstein let Ray get away with murder to finish it. Ray was AWESOME that round but he pulled out every foul trick he had in those three minutes.
                    Is there video of this or is that just anecdotal?

Comment

• Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
                      Is there video of this or is that just anecdotal?
                      Is this a serious question? Are you just too lazy to use Google? Turpin-Robinson II is about the easiest fight to see on earth. ESPN Classic shows it all the time. It's on YouTube. Robinson holding him around the neck, holding and hitting, measuring with his jab...and just nailing him pretty regularly in a savage assault. Classic stuff.

Comment

Working...
                      X