No announcement yet.

Im sorry Old school fighters are not automatically the best

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
    It is funny how people romanticize either the past or present, it is an impossible question and people shouldn't act like they know with any real degree of certainty.
    I agree. But not just that, it's unfair to both fighters (the old and the new).

The game like in any other sport will evolve, training/nutrition will improve, methods of instruction will improve, so the fighters themselves will naturally improve. A "club fighter" or a journeyman today will even be a lot different than club fighters/journeymen back then.

But in that same token, its not fair to discredit what some of the old-school greats have accomplished because their accomplishments as well have to be looked at in context of era and age. what fighters like SRR, Rocky Marciano, etc. were able to do is great not just in deed, but in the fact that they DID do it in those times, among men that were incapable to.

Everything is respective, and folks need to realize that. Which is why I never really entertain the "Old school great vs. current great" discussions, because it's impossible to gauge. The best we can do is assess both fighters and indicate similarities, differences, strengths & weaknesses.

Comment

• What's really sad about this thread is that Floyd Mayweather, TS' secret crush, fights like an old school fighter. He does the midwest proud with his shoulder roll, pull counters, feints, ability to fight off the ropes. These nuances didn't pop in the 90's. When you watch someone like James Toney, that's old school.
      moneytheman Ascended likes this.

Comment

• Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
        Carlos Baldomir can't hold Jake LaMotta's jock strap. just like Shane Mosley's lightweight run is embarrassing compared to Azumah Nelson's career. I forgot all about Larry for a while there. Reading this thread I was forcibly reminded that I remember Larry quite well from a couple years ago. And I always thought he was maybe slow? I don't know. But this thread reeks of insecurity. As in, a subconscious acknowledgement that maybe, just maybe, his favorite fighter isn't the greatest fighter.
        it's not difficult to see LarryX agenda here.

Gatti would be an ATG in Lamotta era.

Baldomir is better than Lamotta

Mosley LW(not even whole career just LW) resume is greater than Nelson whole career.

What does this three have in common?

So yes it's insecurity on his part. And, lets face it he hasn't watch the sport for that long. To call Whitaker an old school fighter is ridiculous. It was the F'ing 90's FFS's. I think Larry has only followed the sport for the most 10 years. Can't be more than that. And, it could very easily be less than that.

Comment

Carlos Baldomir can't hold Jake LaMotta's jock strap. just like Shane Mosley's lightweight run is embarrassing compared to Azumah Nelson's career. I forgot all about Larry for a while there. Reading this thread I was forcibly reminded that I remember Larry quite well from a couple years ago. And I always thought he was maybe slow? I don't know. But this thread reeks of insecurity. As in, a subconscious acknowledgement that maybe, just maybe, his favorite fighter isn't the greatest fighter.
          Well it is his opinion, he said some out there shit.

I wouldn't mention Carlos Baldomir with Jake Lamotta, or have compared Nelson to Mosley at 135 which is a weird random comparison to even start with.

It is an interesting thought provoking question but when ****** stuff gets said that detracts from it. It is a complex question one most people should just stay away from anyway.
          Last edited by The Gambler1981; 05-23-2012, 12:11 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry Balls View Post
            I can't speak for Larry but in my opinion Sergio Martinez would be the best in every era. And with that i mean he would be able to compete.
            which Martinez?..the one who got knocked out by Matgarito or the 35+ year old Martinez?

Comment

• Originally posted by Roman Moreno View Post
              it's not difficult to see LarryX agenda here.

Gatti would be an ATG in Lamotta era.

Baldomir is better than Lamotta

Mosley LW(not even whole career just LW) resume is greater than Nelson whole career.

What does this three have in common?

So yes it's insecurity on his part. And, lets face it he hasn't watch the sport for that long. To call Whitaker an old school fighter is ridiculous. It was the F'ing 90's FFS's. I think Larry has only followed the sport for the most 10 years. Can't be more than that. And, it could very easily be less than that.
              Baldomir would not beat Lamotta....larry is trippin...

Comment

What's really sad about this thread is that Floyd Mayweather, TS' secret crush, fights like an old school fighter. He does the midwest proud with his shoulder roll, pull counters, feints, ability to fight off the ropes. These nuances didn't pop in the 90's. When you watch someone like James Toney, that's old school.
                Even older than James Toney.

George Benton.

Tell me they're not similar. That's great skills.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roman Moreno View Post
                  Even older than James Toney.

George Benton.

Tell me they're not similar. That's great skills.
                  Blocked at work--will have to watch tonight. Not surprised though. Benton the trainer = TRUTH.

Comment

• Sorry i can no longer post fellas.enjoy this thread.i dont wanna get banned..........

Comment

What's really sad about this thread is that Floyd Mayweather, TS' secret crush, fights like an old school fighter. He does the midwest proud with his shoulder roll, pull counters, feints, ability to fight off the ropes. These nuances didn't pop in the 90's. When you watch someone like James Toney, that's old school.
                      I agree. And none of these fighters would be here or have this style if it wasn't for the predecessors, the same way other great defensive fighters like Toney wouldn't be here without fighters like Willie Pep, so on and so forth.

But I think a good level of his frustration comes from the fact that there are a lot of psuedo-boxing analyst/"experts" that tend to carry this pretentious aura based on their knowledge of prior fighters (which, the majority of times, is actually very limited, by nature or circumstance) and really do base their comments on a good amount of hyperbole and legend. Another part of larry's frustration obviously stems from the fact he has an obvious pro-Floyd agenda, lol, and everything said either directly or indirectly/subconsciously has an effect on the way his favorite fighter is perceived or rated by the General consensus.

To say SRR would've beat Floyd is just as ridiculous as saying Floyd would have beat SRR, feel me? That's a sure way to tell the difference between a fan of the sport who is here to appreciate, marvel and learn from it and others, and folks who are just here to wax poetic and hold a circle jerk mental ************ session
                      Last edited by MalikKnucklez; 05-21-2012, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X