Collapse
No announcement yet.

When was SRR at his very best?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

people make a big stink about floyd being 42-0.

while in his prime, ray was 128-1-2 with 84 ko's.

Comment

Historian and editor of boxing news magazine, Herbert Goldman says Robinson was at his very best at age 22, just before he entered the army in mid 1943 and two years before he won the welterweight tittle. There is no film to back this up so I don't know. He was at his best as a welterweight, I am sure of that.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
        I hear over & over he is the G.O.A.T & sure he was one hell of a fighter, very advanced. Really good footwork. What is his best performance?

I've seen his fights vs LaMotta, Basillio, Fullmer, Olson & a fair few others

Straight up I don't think the guys as good as hes made out to be. Okay he knocks a guy out in 1 or 2 that has no defense or movement, he does the same in a rematch yet he fights him another half a dozen or so times?

When was his prime? What am I looking for?

I'm not saying he wasn't great or even an outstanding fighter, I simply want to see footage and I firmly believe many just say hes the best cause others do. If you asked them why they wouldn't have a fcuking clue.

Who did he fight eight times? I think the most he fought anyone was 6 times, and that was LaMotta who was THE middleweight champ. He lost to him once and stopped him the last time. He was outweighed by up to 15-16 lbs almost every time they fought.

So who do you mean. They were putting on entertainment for the fight-goers, and the fighters had to earn their (almost) daily bread, by fighting, no matter whom they fought. Robinson most often fought top guys, never mind that he'd beat them easily most times.

I know in early career he fought Samy Angott and Marty Servo 2-3 times each. Why shouldn't he have fought them?? Servo was the welterweight champ and Angott was the lightweight champ. he also fought the middleweight champ Gene Fullmer 4 times, when he was wll past his best.

So who did he fight 8 times and kept KOing them?? I think you're either telling lies or greatly exaggerating, not rare on this site.

Comment

Originally posted by Money Team. View Post
          have you ever been in outter space??ok then prove to me they are real and not just a holograph

I miss Larry. Hes off his rocker.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
            I hear over & over he is the G.O.A.T & sure he was one hell of a fighter, very advanced. Really good footwork. What is his best performance?

I've seen his fights vs LaMotta, Basillio, Fullmer, Olson & a fair few others

Straight up I don't think the guys as good as hes made out to be. Okay he knocks a guy out in 1 or 2 that has no defense or movement, he does the same in a rematch yet he fights him another half a dozen or so times?

When was his prime? What am I looking for?

I'm not saying he wasn't great or even an outstanding fighter, I simply want to see footage and I firmly believe many just say hes the best cause others do. If you asked them why they wouldn't have a fcuking clue.

films of his full fights at WW are all gone, to my knowledge.

if you're interested i can find some short but decent quality clips of him at WW, where his speed, skills, power, size, and chin made him one hell of a hard go.

the footage of which you're speaking took place after his prime, and at/against MW. he had already been a pro for a decade, and likely had fights numbering over 100.

he's considered the best fighter of all time because of his resume. it's pretty damn unreal. victories over hall of famers in gavilan, armstrong, agnott, zivic at WW. one loss at the weight (144 lbs,) to jake lamotta, who weighed 160. he fought most of his top contenders. he's pretty regularly considered the best ever at the weight. and at MW he's generally regarded in the top four, along with greb, hagler, and monzon. he's got victories over the fighters' you've laid out at MW, and some others.

he fought more than 10 hall of famers, some of them four, five, or even six times.

over the course of all of this he was stopped once, and that was fighting for the lineal title at 175 [against a hall of famer in joey maxim,] where he collapsed on his stool after 13 rounds in a 100 degree arena. the ref had to be replaced. it was hot in there, bro

he's a gnarly fighter. knockout power in both hands, skills, fast feet, lethal combinations, a great chin, and speed. he had it all. one of the best ever without a doubt.
            Last edited by New England; 05-06-2013, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Money Team. View Post
              so how do you know his prime years were at ww if you dont even have footage to back it up?
              At welterweight Ray Robinson went 127-1 and before his loss to Maxim he had only lost to Turpin and Lamotta, he has wins over Sammy Angott (Lightweight champion), Tommy Bell, Kid Gavilan x2, Graziano, Turpin, Zivic x 2, Lamotta (several times), Henry Armstrong, Olson (several times), Fullmer, Basilio, at a time where being the champion meant there was only a single champ per division so you knew they were fighting the best. And all those mentioned were champions future, current or former not including contenders.

There is footage of him against Tony Ricco and Freddie Flores are welter, against Charles Fusari in a WW title defence, his first fights against Lamotta are also recorded from his very early career. There is plenty of footage of him at Middleweight, his best performances came at WW it only makes sense that was his prime before he came out of retirement to recapture the MW title.

He fought 12 hall of famers a total of 28 times. There is no one in boxing who could keep up with his activity level and keep a record like that IMO, his display in the valentines day massacre or against Turpin the second time we're displays of masterful boxing. At a time where the majority of boxers were flat footed Robinson brought incredible lateral movement and one punch KO power.
              Last edited by Ryn0; 05-06-2013, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X