No announcement yet.

who rans higher as a ATG Floyd or Pernell Whitaker

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
    I have a feeling a lot of people here are basing their rankings on ability over accomplishments. And remember on paper Whitaker drew with chavez and lost to Oscar.
    But in reality, he beat Chavez clearly.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
      I have no doubt that Roman considers Marquez a HOF great, but the situations were just too different to compare the fights.

Pea and the Prof: They were both prime champs, both same size! Both fighting in the division next to each other.

Marquez had just moved to 135 from 130 while Floyd had been a 147 and 154 pound champ for years. He was also clearly much bigger.
      I wasn't comparing the wins, I was addressing this

Originally posted by Roman Moreno View Post
      Floyd doesn't have any ATG period prime or not. But, that's not Floyd fault. There wasn't any ATG during his time. Right now Pac is the only one that could fit the mold.
      I voted for Pea, and I think he's significantly higher in the rankings.

Comment

Neither one has a "great win" but Floyd was much more consistent

Comment

Originally posted by ArtThouFurious? View Post
          Whitaker by a ****s hair. The gap isn't as wide as some in this thread are making it out to be.

BTW, Floyd's win over Marquez is comparable if not greater than Whitaker's win over Nelson.

Floyd has nothing close to a prime Chavez Sr. on his resume though.
          Epic lulz!

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
            I have a feeling a lot of people here are basing their rankings on ability over accomplishments. And remember on paper Whitaker drew with chavez and lost to Oscar.
            Resume always count on top though. Ability is always only perceived. Without resume to back it up, ability is simply too shaky to rank someone on with any certainty.

We've all seen too many fighters with what looks like genuinely ATG ability go to **** against another great fighter. Against ok fighters and decent champs they look like the GOAT, but against the best they are missing something. Only resume tells us that a fighter has everything.

No matter what, someone with a greater resume always ranks above someone else with a decent resume but supposedly greater skills. The person with the better resume proved his skill against better fighters. That matters above all else. This is also why Floyds worst fans rank him as the GOAT. Because they are delusional and dont get the purpose of resume. They rank their fighter based on perceieved ability alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Capaedia View Post
              I wasn't comparing the wins, I was addressing this

I voted for Pea, and I think he's significantly higher in the rankings.
              Cool.

Comment

I thought sweetpea edged DLH and schooled JCC.

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
                  Neither one has a "great win" but Floyd was much more consistent
                  You always manage to surprise me with one out of left field, despite your long history of, shall we say, interesting perspectives?

So what exactly defines a great win? Whitaker beat Chavez as clearly as anyone could have. Pure politics should not take away from the simple facts of the sport. That being that despite an utterly disgraceful moment of boxing corruption at its finest, Pea was the first fighter to beat the ATG with the longest unbeaten streak in history. That is a great win.

Nelson is a great win. A great win, to me at least, is a win over a prime HOFer. Nelson was that.

There are great wins, and there are those truly great wins. Truly great being those few like Duran over Leonard, Leonard over Hearns, Ali over Foreman, Frazier over Ali. Whitaker has greater wins, despite BS corruption.

Comment

It's Whitaker and I don't see how this is even debatable.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
                      You always manage to surprise me with one out of left field, despite your long history of, shall we say, interesting perspectives?

So what exactly defines a great win? Whitaker beat Chavez as clearly as anyone could have. Pure politics should not take away from the simple facts of the sport. That being that despite an utterly disgraceful moment of boxing corruption at its finest, Pea was the first fighter to beat the ATG with the longest unbeaten streak in history. That is a great win.

Nelson is a great win. A great win, to me at least, is a win over a prime HOFer. Nelson was that.

There are great wins, and there are those truly great wins. Truly great being those few like Duran over Leonard, Leonard over Hearns, Ali over Foreman, Frazier over Ali. Whitaker has greater wins, despite BS corruption.
                      Nelson is without question an ATG.

Comment

Working...
                      X