Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime Hall of Fame fighters in Floyd resume?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by straightleft View Post
    What do you mean by all of them? Manny has Barrera and Marquez. Marquez doesnt apply to Mayweather because of the weight cheating and for Pacquaio against Marquez a win is win no matter how close it was that can go either way.
    You don't really believe Barrera was in his prime do you? And you say Marquez doesn't count for Floyd? Really?

Comment

Originally posted by dibzvincent143 View Post
      corrales and castillo, hatton aint hall of famer

hatton will get in

there's almost no chance of diego corrales and jose luis castillo getting in. if they do they'll lower the standard of the hall of fame, same with hatton

ricky hatton is about as bad as you can get for a hall of fame boxer.

floyd mayweather has been very consistent. he's been at the world championship level since '98. the late flippin 90's. he has completely dominated some very good fighters.

his resume is lacking a top flight win. we cannot blame floyd mayweather entirely. there have been a few other greats at or around his weight but the fights have never materialized between the two in their primes.

some top flight wins :
      duran over leonard
      leonard over duran
      greb over tunney
      schmelling over louis
      frazier over ali 1 (both slightly past their best days, but you get the idea. how many better wins are there in all of boxing? ali might be the best HW ever.)
      sanchez and gomez

they are very rare. very rarely do you see two legitimately ATG level fighters in their primes in the same weight class.

we cant knock floyd mayweather if he never gets a great win on that level unless he outright ducks the opportunity (and i dont think floyd mayweather would ever avoid sometbody simply on the grounds that they are better, if he money was perfect, weight, etc he'd fight anybody. likewise with manny pacquiao.)

if he fought manny pacquiao in '09 he would have his scalp.

as of right now i'd say ricky hatton will get into the hall of fame. he is no ATG (for purposes of discussion i call the 100 best ATG [all time great])
      and that floyd fought him when he was at the end of his run and at WW, but he was still undefeated, etc.

it's nowhere near a top flight type of victory. it's not even his best win IMO. but it is a hall of famer who was on a run.

the hall of fame's standards are dropping. perhaps it's a product of the level of the fighters dropping.
      Last edited by New England; 03-30-2012, 09:06 AM.

Comment

How do solid threads like Cotto Vs Clottey get deleted, but bullshit like this remains?

Comment

Originally posted by Ugh! View Post
          castillo, hatton
          that's it i think, although hypejobs like corrales will probabley make it in
          So Diego Corrales is a hype job now??? Won 4 titles in 2 weight classes, with wins over Garcia, Gainer, Manfredy, Casamayor, Freitas, and Castillo. Was a former Top 5 P4P fighter at one point. Corrales wasn't a hype job, Corrales was good when he could still fight and has some solid wins on his resume. Wins over Castillo and Casamayor are just as good as Tszyu's best wins (Mitchell/Judah/Gonzalez/etc), and Tszyu got into the HOF in his first year.

Comment

i think PBF's advantage over his contemporaries though was his dominance at a single weight class which was JLW... the guy had a solid reign in that division (9 title defenses) and has beaten genaro and chico who were the best at that weight during that time...

add to this solid "single weight division run" (the best since gabriel elorde and alexis arguello) his titles at several weight classes and thats what sets him apart from pacquiao...

manny never had a single weight thing going for him... he had a chance @ LW (with guzman, soto, katsidis, guerrero, casa, baby bull and valero) ...... and then oscar made a call...

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
              hatton will get in

there's almost no chance of diego corrales and jose luis castillo getting in. if they do they'll lower the standard of the hall of fame, same with hatton

floyd mayweather has been very consistent. he's been at the world championship level since '98. the late flippin 90's. he has completely dominated some very good fighters.

his resume is lacking a top flight win. we cannot blame floyd mayweather entirely. there have been a few other greats at or around his weight but the fights have never materialized between the two in their primes.

some top flight wins :
              duran over leonard
              leonard over duran
              greb over tunney
              schmelling over louis
              frazier over ali 1 (both slightly past their best days, but you get the idea. how many better wins are there in all of boxing? ali might be the best HW ever.)
              sanchez and gomez

they are very rare. very rarely do you see two legitimately ATG level fighters in their primes in the same weight class.

we cant knock floyd mayweather if he never gets a great win on that level unless he outright ducks the opportunity (and i dont think floyd mayweather would ever avoid sometbody simply on the grounds that they are better, if he money was perfect, weight, etc he'd fight anybody. likewise with manny pacquiao.)

as of right now i'd say ricky hatton will get into the hall of fame. he is no ATG (for purposes of discussion i call the 100 best ATG [all time great])
              and that floyd fought him when he was at the end of his run and at WW, but he was still undefeated, etc.

it's nowhere near a top flight type of victory. it's not even his best win IMO. but it is a hall of famer who was on a run.

the hall of fame's standards are dropping. perhaps it's a product of the level of the fighters dropping.
              If shane didn't have a toothache then he'd have gotten an ass whippin from floyd in his prime. ODH could've fought floyd ealier but floyd was high risk no reward.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                hatton will get in

some top flight wins :
                duran over leonard
                leonard over duran
                greb over tunney
                schmelling over louis
                sanchez and gomez

Jim Braddock got into the HOF. He was a "bum" for his entire career until he upset Max Baer. In that case, Mickey Ward should get in, who was a "bum" his whole career until he upset Arturo Gatti.

Brian Mitchell, Barry McGuigan, Fritzie Zivic, Dwight Muhammad Qawi, and Kostya Tszyu all got in with there resume's.

If you look at there resume's and then look at resume's of Genaro Hernandez, Diego Corrales, Jose Luis Castillo, and Ricky Hatton, it's very similar.

Floyd beating Hatton, though not an ATG win, was a really good win. I'd put it on par if Pac beats Bradley. Floyd's best wins, in my opinion, were Diego Corrales and Jose Luis Castillo.

I think Castillo and Corrales, given that other guys with lesser resume's got in, should get serious consideration to get in. And for Hatton, given that guys like Mitchell and McGuigan got in, I think he should. Hatton did beat Tszyu when Kostya was still the #1 JWW in the world.

I agree the level of the boxing HOF is less than other major sports, but I'm just saying that given the certain people who have gotten in, those guys probably should as well.

As long as Floyd and Manny keep winning, if they fight in 2013, it still means something. They are still the two best in the sport right now, and if they keep winning, it'll remain that way. Marvin and Ray weren't in their "primes" when they fought, but they were still good. Now if the fight happens in 2014-2015 and they have lost or slipped big time, that's a different story.
                Last edited by 4Corners; 03-30-2012, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by talip bin osman View Post
                  i think PBF's advantage over his contemporaries though was his dominance at a single weight class which was JLW... the guy had a solid reign in that division (9 title defenses) and has beaten genaro and chico who were the best at that weight during that time...

add to this solid "single weight division run" (the best since gabriel elorde and alexis arguello) his titles at several weight classes and thats what sets him apart from pacquiao...

manny never had a single weight thing going for him... he had a chance @ LW (with guzman, soto, katsidis, guerrero, casa, baby bull and valero) ...... and then oscar made a call...
                  Pac had a pretty good run at 130 with wins over Morales, Larios, Solis, Barrera II, Marquez. The only problem was that MAB was past it and Morales had been beaten by Zahir Raheem when Pac beat him. He didn't end up fighting Raheem (who beat Morales), Guzman, Soto, or Valero while they were at 130. I don't blaim Manny for taking only one fight at 135 and than cashing big on Oscar, which made him a Superstar. But, if I had my wish on what he would have done, it'd have been this.....After Pac's controversial fight with JMM, fight Casamayor in Mid-2008 (as we know JMM fought Casa instead). He was the RING LW champ. And than, if the Oscar fight never happened, fight nate Campbell, who won the WBA-WBO-IBF LW titles over Juan Diaz earlier in the year. Than, go take the Hatton fight at 140. That would have been wish then and looking back. Can't blaim Pac for taking the Oscar fight though. There's things I wish Floyd would have done differently.

Instead of fighting Phillip N'dou, an ehhhhh fight, fight Juan Lazcano who just beat Stevie Johnston. I didn't mind the Sosa fight because he was a Top 10 LW at the time and had been robbed of a championship against Spadafora. Or instead of wasting time on Bruseles, go straight for Gatti and than Tszyu. As we know, Tszyu lost to Hatton, who Floyd fought in 2007.

Things don't always happen the way we want them to, oh well.

Comment

@4cornerskid

may i humbly ask why did u put barry mcguigan and fritzie zivic's name in the same sentence?

Comment

Originally posted by talip bin osman View Post
                      @4cornerskid

may i humbly ask why did u put barry mcguigan and fritzie zivic's name in the same sentence?
                      Guys that are in HOF that maybe shouldn't be. Or guys that are in that make it easier to say some of those guys should get in. Names off the top of my head of guys I know that are in that are questionable.

Zivic upset Henry Armstrong and beat Sammy Angott, that's it. He never did anything else, but that got him in the HOF.

Comment

Working...
                      X