Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Macklin's Trainer: How Can They Say Martinez is Great?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SM is not great, but VG, in a weak division & Macklin will see this...@'54 picure SM vs Hearns or SRR...he will beat JCC Jr if it ever happens, but Never great, that has passed him by...

Comment

I think he's great in a weak division in which he's undersized in which makes him "very good" in the grand scheme of things. Imo, to be great you have to either beat other great fighters....or just beat every good fighter you can til it's undeniable that maybe it isn't a weak division, but a great, strong champion.

Comment

I completely agree with him. What has he said there that isnt correct? You have to respect the run the guy has been on, and he has been somewhat of a late developer in his career, but he has been vastly overated, particularly on this forum and others.

Macklin will give him a hard fight, but I see Sergio winning this one, just not sure how. UD I guess.

Comment

You will call him great after he beats Macklin down and you have to hold his head in your hands telling him"im stopping it baby i love you to much"

Comment

Sergio is knocking on the door of great ness now, but he has only just arrived at the door, which he might not be given the key to enter. He really has had a nice little run. Great fighters runs are usually a bit longer than very good fighters.
            Sergios knockout of PWs, a great fighter would be proud to do that, and Sergio did do that and has got himself noticed. Greatness is a journey, rather than a destination.

Similar to Floyd not having a very in depth resume and not taking risks. His best performance is probably against a bloated JMM but has yet to step out of his country to fight. Floyd has great skills but hasnt achieved what great fighters need to do. Id put Sergio and Floyd in a similar bracket, with Floyd being very good for many, many years.
            Last edited by hugh grant; 03-16-2012, 04:50 PM.

Comment

i think macklin will give him a harder fight than most people here are expecting and will last the distance - my money would be on martinez UD after a good fight

Comment

No! Mara is "Great"! but Macky's going to hurt Paps and will put him away within 10.

Comment

Originally posted by tripper View Post
                  I'll agree with what he's saying, besides p williams ( over rated) and pavlik (who is an alcoholic) hes not really fought anyone else. I didnt think he was impressive in his last night against barker. I can see macklin giving him kittens.
                  He is knocking out undefeated boxers, dropping guys that have never been dropped in their careers, beating guys bigger than he is, and he is giving the fans great fights. Dude is pretty much on a higher level than these other guys are. Macklin will lose just like the others did...

Comment

he is very good...but not "GREAT"...the word "GREAT" does get thrown around a lot in boxing today and it is not even that many "GREAT" fighters today, plenty of good and some Hall Famers but very few "ALL TIME GREATS"

Comment

Originally posted by joesaiditstrue View Post
                      if sergio isnt a top tier fighter why are you fighting him? trainers say so much stupid ****
                      Do you know the difference between being the best in a dead division and being a GREAT fighter?

Martinez has 2 wins worth mentioning out of 50+ fights.

In your own opinion, is that great?

Comment

Working...
                      X