No announcement yet.

Adrien Broner will be the next fighter of the decade

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BangEM View Post
    Larry has always been a dumb fcck and a TMT shill. Anyone who followed Broner's career and how wayward he's would know he lacks the intangibles to become a great boxer. The guy was decent against overmatched opponents because he was bigger than them. And it was only a matter of time for him to end up the way he did.

The same is applicable to Spence as well, hence I don't rate him that high.
    Spence is far better but he's not a special fighter as has been pushed. He's a borderline top 10 p4p caliber guy in a fairly weak era but he's pushed as an all-time talent. I thought Golovkin was overrated and PBC fanboys really went hard on Golovkin yet give Spence so many passes but the truth is that Golovkin has stepped up more and accomplished more. Spence has been hiding from a guy who's moved up from lightweight.

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
      Spence is far better but he's not a special fighter as has been pushed. He's a borderline top 10 p4p caliber guy in a fairly weak era but he's pushed as an all-time talent. I thought Golovkin was overrated and PBC fanboys really went hard on Golovkin yet give Spence so many passes but the truth is that Golovkin has stepped up more and accomplished more. Spence has been hiding from a guy who's moved up from lightweight.
      I dunno but I just think Spence is a weight bully, just as Broner was at his peak. I never really saw what the hype about Spence was after his fight against a damaged Brook that was coming off a near career-ending injury. A normal Brook would've beaten Spence in that fight since he dominated the first half of the fight. And I wouldn't call Brook a great boxer.

Honestly, I don't think there's that much difference between GGG, Canelo and Spence's resumes. They all have a lot of overmatched B and C level boxers on there. Crawford's resume isn't that stellar as well. But at least, Crawford passes the eye test every time he fights.

Comment

• Originally posted by HeadBodyBodyBody View Post
        In all seriousness, would Broner even be considered in the top 50 boxers of the decade (2010-2019)? I'm not sure that he would, but I haven't bothered to sit down and figure it out
        Broner is an undefeated, multiple weight champion below 147 lbs. If he never goes to 147 ( which means if he kept himself in the best shape possible to stay below 147 for as long as possible) not only is he likely one of the better fighters this decade but then maybe Larry’s prediction comes true.

Perspective gets lost in all of Broner’s antics in and out of the ring, but he is a classic example of a boxer that “maxed out” at a certain weight. Happens often in boxing.

Same could be said for a guy like Erik Morales who is considerably better than Broner, that didn’t find much success above 135.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Big Dumb View Post
          Broner is an undefeated, multiple weight champion below 147 lbs. If he never goes to 147 ( which means if he kept himself in the best shape possible to stay below 147 for as long as possible) not only is he likely one of the better fighters this decade but then maybe Larry’s prediction comes true.

Perspective gets lost in all of Broner’s antics in and out of the ring, but he is a classic example of a boxer that “maxed out” at a certain weight. Happens often in boxing.

Same could be said for a guy like Erik Morales who is considerably better than Broner, that didn’t find much success above 135.

Broner’s personality and constant need to be flashy and brash is what led to his downfall!

Hahaha you’re an absolute idiot! I don’t know who’s dumber between you and Curtis Harper! Maybe you’re the same person, both alts!
          My god you really are The Big Dumb!

Comment

• Adrien had potential to become a megastar / PPV king since he's better @ smack talking as opposed to Floyd Mayweather

Comment

• Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post

Did he really beat anyone though? DeMarco is solid but even DeMarco won his title status on a cut in a fight he was way down in. Broner was gifted a title at 140 after he’d taken some losses and he fought a nobody. He barely made any title defenses and attempted no unification fights. He also got some very close controversial calls over guys who weren’t that good. DeLeon was robbed straight up.

I know you like Broner but there’s just nothing there on his resume. He was #1 (arguably) at 135 but the rest is a bunch of meh. Like I said barely any defenses, no unifications and barely a credible opponent beaten apart from DeMarco. Even Paulie was washed and that was an either way type fight.

Morales over 135 did more than Broner over 135. A close loss over Garcia and a very close one with Maidana vs. lopsided shellacking against Garcia, Porter, Maidana.

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
                Did he really beat anyone though? DeMarco is solid but even DeMarco won his title status on a cut in a fight he was way down in. Broner was gifted a title at 140 after he’d taken some losses and he fought a nobody. He barely made any title defenses and attempted no unification fights. He also got some very close controversial calls over guys who weren’t that good. DeLeon was robbed straight up.

I know you like Broner but there’s just nothing there on his resume. He was #1 (arguably) at 135 but the rest is a bunch of meh. Like I said barely any defenses, no unifications and barely a credible opponent beaten apart from DeMarco. Even Paulie was washed and that was an either way type fight.

Morales over 135 did more than Broner over 135. A close loss over Garcia and a very close one with Maidana vs. lopsided shellacking against Garcia, Porter, Maidana.
                Yes, he beat people. Any fighter with a big name promoter finds themselves getting title shots ahead of others so his being "gifted" a title is no different than manny being put in with Diaz and being "gifted" a 135lb title.

It's not about liking him, It's about that fact that its clear that 147 was too much for him. His inability to maintain weight (which is all on him) is primarily why he didn't have unifications. Below 147, he could win fights not on his best night. At 147, the increased size and ability to take a punch from the larger men made that more difficult.

Morales also got completely destroyed by Raheem at 135 and lost clear to David Diaz, lets not forget that.

One final point-If he is able to stay below 147 then all the things you point in the post are likely negated.

edit: I think Mikey Garcia might be in the same boat. I don't think he can handle 147 at all.
                Last edited by The Big Dunn; 03-03-2020, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Yes, he beat people. Any fighter with a big name promoter finds themselves getting title shots ahead of others so his being "gifted" a title is no different than manny being put in with Diaz and being "gifted" a 135lb title.

It's not about liking him, It's about that fact that its clear that 147 was too much for him. His inability to maintain weight (which is all on him) is primarily why he didn't have unifications. Below 147, he could win fights not on his best night. At 147, the increased size and ability to take a punch from the larger men made that more difficult.

Morales also got completely destroyed by Raheem at 135 and lost clear to David Diaz, lets not forget that.

One final point-If he is able to stay below 147 then all the things you point in the post are likely negated.

edit: I think Mikey Garcia might be in the same boat. I don't think he can handle 147 at all.

Big Dunn baiting and switching for Larry and Broner now....
                  Last edited by djtmal; 03-03-2020, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Where did Morales start and where did Broner start? Dumb comparison. One guy started at lower weights, beat better opponents and had a better overall career that is certified. Broner was gifted quite a few wins against sub par competition just to give him a name.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boy Jones Jr. View Post
                      Where did Morales start and where did Broner start? Dumb comparison. One guy started at lower weights, beat better opponents and had a better overall career that is certified. Broner was gifted quite a few wins against sub par competition just to give him a name.
                      I don't think where they started changes the point of my post.

Morales wasn't a bad fighter at 135, he just couldn't beat quality opposition because of the weight. Above 135 he really only defeated journeyman and gatekeepers. He was "gifted" a title against Cano at 140, which was a fight for a vacant belt, which he promptly lost. Very similar to Broner getting the shot at Paulie and winning his 147lb title.

I think the comparison to how they both got to a weight class they couldn't handle isn't dumb. Yes, Morales was older and had accomplished more (I posted Morales was considerably better than Broner).

Comment

Working...
                      X