Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcers- HBO or Showtime

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lampley really annoys me in his bias sometimes (See May-Ortiz and Pac-JMM 3).

He was getting excited over shots that Ortiz wasn't even landing and ignoring Mayweather's punches.

That being said, I like HBO much more than ShoTime.

Comment

As far as "calling the fight" with an unbiased tone? That would easily go to Showtime although doesn't mean I like all of their staff.

It's pretty obvious they have their own agendas over at HBO with Bob Arum around. But I still like Lampley and Kellerman

The best choice for most unbiased calling of the fight would go to that one Brit broadcast that had Khan as a guest announcer during the Pac-JMM fight. They did a fantastic job of calling that fight.

Comment

A perfect mix for me would be Gus Johnson, Max Kellerman/Al Berstein, and Antonio Tarver. I like Roy, but he's not that great of an announcer.

Lampley sucks in my opinion. He over reacts to what happens in the ring a lot. Like when Oscar would get Floyd on the ropes and hardly land anything, he went ape s**t. Same thing in the Ortiz fight. Merchant, Steward, and Lampley also f**k up the names quite often as well.

Johnson, Kellerman, Bernstein, and Tarver are the best in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by 4CornersKid View Post
          A perfect mix for me would be Gus Johnson, Max Kellerman/Al Berstein, and Antonio Tarver. I like Roy, but he's not that great of an announcer.

Lampley sucks in my opinion. He over reacts to what happens in the ring a lot. Like when Oscar would get Floyd on the ropes and hardly land anything, he went ape s**t. Same thing in the Ortiz fight. Merchant, Steward, and Lampley also f**k up the names quite often as well.

Johnson, Kellerman, Bernstein, and Tarver are the best in my opinion.
          Spot on. It's very irritating.

Comment

HBO is my main channel for every thing boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by Carpe Diem View Post
              Amen to everything you wrote. You're completely spot on!
              Thanks. Not sure if this would be a topic anyone would really want to cast a thought about, but it's something that's been on my mind after the Juanma fight.

Comment

Showtime!

Gus Johnson called a great fighter Saturday, he made the fight even more exciting with his excitement and he called it UNBIASEDLY! Which is so rare in boxing today!

Just great Chemistry on Showtime, all 3 announcers seems to get along and have respect for each other and actually seems like they love working together, it is more of a POSITIVE TEAM something boxing needs during its struggling times, not some bitter old idiot bashing boxing even more
                Last edited by KnockUTheFukOut; 03-12-2012, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePhantom5 View Post
                  Gus Johnson was all-time bad when commentating Juanma-Salido. He was horrible the whole fight.

Just lets Al Bernstein talk and provide a few color commentary comments.

Gus was just awful.
                  "NUTS AND GUTS FOLKS!"- is there a better line in the sport?

I tend to agree- just let Bernstein talk.

This is going back a bit- but the guys that called the SSL-Duran fight in Montreal were excellent

Comment

Originally posted by KnockUTheFukOut View Post
                    Showtime!

Gus Johnson called a great fighter Saturday, he made the fight even more exciting with his excitement and he called it UNBIASEDLY! Which is so rare in boxing today!

Just great Chemistry on Showtime, all 3 announcers seems to get along and have respect for each other and actually seems like they love working together, it is more of a POSITIVE TEAM something boxing needs during its struggling times, not some bitter old idiot bashing boxing even more
                    Gus Johnson was complete sh$t on Saturday.

Some of the worst commentary I've ever heard.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePhantom5 View Post
                      I think Tarver and Al is great.

Lampley is weak overall because like many have said he talks to much about stuff not going on in the ring.

But Jim is the most clutch, big moment commentary guy out there.
                      I really wonder about that. Consider the Pacquiao-Hatton fight- Lampley didn't even know Pacquiao landed a right hook. Watch the commentary from Sky Sports in the UK, those guys were incredible.

What are some of Jim's big moments, or memorable commentary lines in the clutch?

Comment

Working...
                      X