Collapse
No announcement yet.

Julio Gonzalez died?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damn, he took Dariusz Michel(spelling)'s 0 and beat Glen Johnson. He also went 12 rounds with the GOAT. He was a pretty good fighter. Basically went undefeatd before and after fighting Jones, he then only lost again at the tail end of his career and he beat some very good fighters. He did well for himself in this sport. RIP JCG, another boxer dies before his time. Hopefully the driver pays a heavy price.

Comment

http://www.pound4pound.com/FightRepo...alezPasses.htm

Former Light Heavyweight Champion
      Julio Gonzalez Passes

By William Trillo

It is with a heavy heart that we report the sad news that our good friend Julio César González was killed in an auto accident in Mexico over this past weekend. Apparently Gonzalez, who had retired from boxing and was working his vegetable ranch in Mexico was heading home on his dirt bike along with a worker when he was hit head on by driver who may have been intoxicated. Julio leaves behind his wife and two sons.

Julio's record reads like a who's who of recent Light Heavyweight boxing as he fought all the top Light Heavyweight's from his era (Julio Gonzalez On boxrec.com). From Roy Jones to Zsolt Erdei, Julio was always ready to face the best and he never backed down from a challenge. After defeating Glen Johnson in 2003 Gonzalez went on to become the first and only Mexican Light heavyweight World Champion when he traveled to Germany to dethrone the then undefeated WBO Champion Dariusz Michalczewski.

Gonzalez was also a member of the 1996 Mexican Olympic team, boxing as a light heavyweight. He was eliminated in the 1st round by eventual gold medalist and future world champion Vasili Jirov of Kazakhstan.

Gonzalez will always be remembered for his fight with Julian Letterlough. It's a fight you can say was a microcosm of his career. Gonzalez was dropped 3 times with huge punches by Letterlough but refused to give up and not only got up to drop Letterlough twice but went on to win a unanimous decision. Coincidentally we spoke with Julio after the untimely passing of Letterlough: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he__rRSmoXc

For those of us who knew Julio that is how we will always remember him, as a man who would take any challenge and if staggered or dropped Julio would get back up and keep on competing no matter how difficult or impossible the task seemed.

Our sincere thoughts and prayers to Julio's entire family.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePhantom5 View Post
        That's a sad way to go out for a fighter.

A damn drunk driver
        It's a bad way to go out for anybody. Damn drunk MFrs gambling with their own life is one thing but gambling with someone elses life ... bit ches

RIP mi hermano

Comment

RIP my friend. I will always remember your kind ways and that big infectious smile.

Comment

This is sad to see/hear about. RIP

Comment

My deepest and sincerest condolences to the Gonzalez family, my prayers are with you real talk..

Comment

Wow that's sad. He was a very good fighter and is ALWAYS underrated as one Roy's wins.

Comment

Rest in Peace, Julio.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePhantom5 View Post
                    Alfonso S Gomez ‏ @AlfonsoSGomez
                    #RIP Julio Gonzalez #QEPD

Alfonso S Gomez ‏ @AlfonsoSGomez Close
                    Wtf!!! Mi amigo me envio un text diciendo q Julio Gonzalez murio anoche...es verdad esto!!??? My friend texted

Somebody put on Julio's Wikipedia that he died yesterday.

Anyone else aware of this?
                    r.i.p. this guy fought jones jr back in 2000 right and went the distance with him in his prime must have been one tough guy, sadly i never seen his fights but will check out some

Comment

RIP. He brought out the best in Roy Jones.

Comment

Working...
                      X