Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has Floyd done enough to be considered up there alongside Ali and SRR?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roy Jones Jnr View Post
    As a true contender as the ATG?

There has only been two justifiable candidates for the true ATG of Boxing and those two are Muhammad Ali and Sugar Ray Robinson. Of course there will be many people who have their own choice as the ATG but that would be more their opinion as a fanboy and not as a true Boxing argument. As Boxing fans surely we can all/most of us admit that those two have been the only two real candidates for that title. Or are they? Has Floyd Mayweather done enough in his career to have his name up alongside those two titans of Boxing?

Now this most likely will have been asked before but i have not seen nor was i around at that time to engage in that particular discussion.

WARNING - PLEASE LETS TRY AND HAVE A DISCUSSION IN THIS THREAD LIKE ADULTS AND NOT LIKE A BUNCH OF SAD INTERNET WARRIORS AND GET ALL CHILDISH. NO *****S OR *******S EITHER WAY UNLESS YOU CAN PUT YOUR POINT ACROSS IN A ADULT LIKE MANNER AND WITHOUT INSULTING ANYONE, IF YOU FEEL YOU CANNOT ENGAGE IN THIS DISCUSSION IN AN ADULT MANNER THEN PLEASE REFRAIN FROM POSTING IN THIS THREAD. Thanks.
    I don't think that Mayweather even deserved to be mentioned on the same page with either Ali or Robinson, and at least 100 more. As for being the top 2 I don't think Ali qualifies. Nothing he has done even remotely resembles Robinson's achievments, nor Armstrong's nor Greb's nor a few more. Maybe the top 10-15, and in the top 4-5 heavyweights.

Comment

Originally posted by edgarg View Post
      I don't think that Mayweather even deserved to be mentioned on the same page with either Ali or Robinson, and at least 100 more. As for being the top 2 I don't think Ali qualifies. Nothing he has done even remotely resembles Robinson's achievments, nor Armstrong's nor Greb's nor a few more. Maybe the top 10-15, and in the top 4-5 heavyweights.
      I think you greatly overlook Ali and everything he did. He beat 3 ATG's in Liston, Frazier, and Foreman, and another ATG HW in Floyd Patterson.

You also have to take into account that Ali was robbed of at least half of his prime years, only having a 3 year window for his prime (1964-1967).

What HW has a better resume than Ali??? Louis??? I don't think so.

Ali's best wins: Cooper, Liston, Patterson, Terrell, Chuvalo, Bonavena, Frazier, Norton, Foreman, Lyle, Shavers.

Louis' best wins: Pastor, Mann, Schmeling, Lewis, Galento, Godoy, Burman, B. Baer, Conn, Mauriello, Walcott.

I'll take Ali's best wins over Louis, even though Louis is probably #2 ATG HW's in my book. H2H, Ali is hands down #1 in my eyes, in his prime.

As far as the GOAT list, in no order......Ali, Leonard, Robinson, Greb, Armstrong, Louis.

Comment

Originally posted by 4CornersKid View Post
        A win over Canelo wouldn't mean a damn thing unless Canelo beats the someone like Kirkland first, or unless he went on to have a HOF career in the future.
        if he beats cotto a Canelo win would make his a unified and lineal champion at 154.that would give him his 4th lineal title and 9th world title

Comment

Floyd hasn't done enough to be up there next to Ray Leonard and Duran.

Comment

Originally posted by Larryx2011 View Post
            if he beats cotto a Canelo win would make his a unified and lineal champion at 154.that would give him his 4th lineal title and 9th world title
            But......a win over Canelo doesn't mean much yet. I don't give a f**k about him becoming lineal champ at 154, if Canelo hasn't done anything yet. If Canelo beats Kirkland, it's a really legit fight in my eyes. Until that day, it's a so-so C+/B- fight.

The reason the Cotto fight is good is because we know Cotto is good, and though he's not in his absolute prime since the Marg fight in 08', he's still good. And a ton of people were saying he'd lose to Yuri Foreman. It was also important for Floyd to get Cotto on his resume while Cotto is still good. A win over Canelo right now means NOTHING.

Comment

Has Floyd held the unified Featherweight, Lightweight, and Welterweight belts all at the same time? No? Well guess what? Henry Armstrong did. End thread.

Poet

Comment

But......a win over Canelo doesn't mean much yet. I don't give a f**k about him becoming lineal champ at 154, if Canelo hasn't done anything yet. If Canelo beats Kirkland, it's a really legit fight in my eyes. Until that day, it's a so-so C+/B- fight.

The reason the Cotto fight is good is because we know Cotto is good, and though he's not in his absolute prime since the Marg fight in 08', he's still good. And a ton of people were saying he'd lose to Yuri Foreman. It was also important for Floyd to get Cotto on his resume while Cotto is still good. A win over Canelo right now means NOTHING.
                like i said beating canelo makes him a 4 time lineal champ and a 9 time world champ so that means alot

Comment

Originally posted by Larryx2011 View Post
                  like i said beating canelo makes him a 4 time lineal champ and a 9 time world champ so that means alot
                  That's basically like saying Pac beating Margarito for a title in his 8th weight class meant something.....it didn't.

Comment

and if he eands with cotto and canelo at 154 for wba,wbc and ring,lineal title..then Manny at 147 for the wbo.then retire with Martinez at 160 he'd have to be top 10 atg easily

he'd be

46-0
                    11 time champion in 6 divisions

5 division lineal champion

Comment

That's basically like saying Pac beating Margarito for a title in his 8th weight class meant something.....it didn't.
                      that was a vacant title at a catchweight..big difference

Comment

Working...
                      X