Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has Floyd done enough to be considered up there alongside Ali and SRR?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think ATG questions are better asked once his career is over.

Among today's fighters, his resume is more than solid though. As if you needed me to tell you that.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
      But why isn't this a measure of floyds greatness. He continues to win against different types of fighters and they don't inflict any punsihment on him, yet that by many is seen a s a negative. I just don't undertsnd this mentality.
      I don't know. I definitely see it as a positive, it's one of the reasons I even like him as a fighter. If I was still taking boxing seriously, I would want to be like Floyd. Floyd is the type of fighter you want to show your son, look son that's how you do it.I can't understand why people hate on Broner for trying to fight like Floyd, there's nothing wrong for trying to fight like the best. "Aim for the stars, even if you miss, you'll land on the moon." Broner might not end up being another Floyd, but hell, being a poor man's Floyd would be enough to dominate most guys around his weight divisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Emphasis View Post
        I think ATG questions are better asked once his career is over.

Among today's fighters, his resume is more than solid though. As if you needed me to tell you that.
        I pretty much agree with this. I think you need the dust to settle a little on someone's career before you can truly get a real idea of how well they did when measured against time. What is true though, is that he is one of the greatest fighters of his era, and despite clearly not being evrybody's cup of tea(mine included), that really cant be disputed.

Comment

Nope. I think in order for anyone in today's game to reach that level, they would have to beat everyone. Fight top 10 guy after top 10 guy, leave absolutely no room for "oh well he shoulda fought this guy"

Promoters won't let their fighters take the necessary fights and be active enough to reach top 5 ATG status.

It doesn't matter if another guy comes along equally as skilled as either fighter, they just simply won't have the means to prove themselves on THAT level.

Comment

not even close

this thread has been done a million times and it's been established that most of the posters in NSB are hardly qualified to make any distinctions about the ranking of great fighters

both manny and floyd are ATG

to say that they are the best ever is an admission of being an idiot and nothing more.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeWbbmest311 View Post
              Nope. I think in order for anyone in today's game to reach that level, they would have to beat everyone. Fight top 10 guy after top 10 guy, leave absolutely no room for "oh well he shoulda fought this guy"

Promoters won't let their fighters take the necessary fights and be active enough to reach top 5 ATG status.

It doesn't matter if another guy comes along equally as skilled as either fighter, they just simply won't have the means to prove themselves on THAT level.

floyd mayweather would have to beat martinez and then ward (laugh,)

then we can start to talk. today's top ten ww's and jr MW's are not enough. not even close. you'd need to beat fifty vanes martyrosian's to get the impact of another bonafide great in his prime on your resume.

as it stands when floyd beats manny it will be a past prime pacquiao.. anybody who thinks pacquiao is the same fighter that fought oscar de la hoya is missing something.

otherwise the thread should get shut the hell down, and the totally clueless out there who think either guy is the best ever need to get HBO's penis out of their mouths.

Comment

He'd have to fight and win decisive against Martinez and Pac, fight and win against as many other top contenders as he could before retiring, But the current crop of young guys aren't really that well established or even THAT good to where it would boost his profile.

IMO, even if he fought 10 more times against the best available option/biggest legitimate threat every time out and won each fight in dominating fashion, I don't think it would be enough.

I will remember him as either #1 or #2 in the 2000's (Roy), depending on what he does with the rest of his career

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                  floyd mayweather would have to beat martinez and then ward (laugh,)

then we can start to talk. today's top ten ww's and jr MW's are not enough. not even close. you'd need to beat fifty vanes martyrosian's to get the impact of another bonafide great in his prime on your resume.

as it stands when floyd beats manny it will be a past prime pacquiao.. anybody who thinks pacquiao is the same fighter that fought oscar de la hoya is missing something.

otherwise the thread should get shut the hell down, and the totally clueless out there who think either guy is the best ever need to get HBO's penis out of their mouths.
                  You say the bold as if PBF is prime as well. I get what you saying but neither fighter is their prime.

Comment

I've said it many times before, too many boxing fans are suffering from nostalgia-itus.

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on older fighters, I've only seen 7-8 full Ali fights and 3 full SRR fights, but from what I've seen (*raises flameshield*) Floyd should not only be considered with Ali and SRR, but he surpasses them (I also believe Roy Jones jr. is better than Ali and SRR but I'll stick to talking about Mayweather to stay on topic).

I won't go as far as to evaluate Ali's and SRR's entire skillsets, but in a direct p4p matchup against Floyd they each have tendencies that Mayweather could exploit.

(*raises flameshield again*) Ali was over-reliant on his jab which Floyd would adjust to and counter off. He was also susceptible to left-hooks, and although his punches weren't soft he would not have the power to stun Mayweather.

From the couple of fights I've seen of SRR he holds his left hand very low, which someone with Mayweather's speed could take advantage of. He also tended to drop his hands when he threw power shots, which Mayweather could counter off. And one advantage Mayweather would have over both Ali and SRR is that they were each purely outside fighters (SRR's clinchwork is some of the sloppiet I've seen), whereas Mayweather is capable of both outslicking his opponents on the outside and breaking them down on the inside.

And to anyone who says that Floyd needs to beat (insert name here) to be considered an all time great, people said the same thing before Floyd fought Baldomir, DLH, Hatton and Mosley. No matter who Maweather beats it will never be good enough, people let there own personal dislike of Floyd get in the way of their ability to evaluate his skills as a boxer.

I'm sure that 90% of people will s**t all over this post out of pure hatred of Mayweather, but to the less bias among you I'm curious to hear your opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by urrah View Post
                      I've said it many times before, too many boxing fans are suffering from nostalgia-itus.

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on older fighters, I've only seen 7-8 full Ali fights and 3 full SRR fights, but from what I've seen (*raises flameshield*) Floyd should not only be considered with Ali and SRR, but he surpasses them (I also believe Roy Jones jr. is better than Ali and SRR but I'll stick to talking about Mayweather to stay on topic).

I won't go as far as to evaluate Ali's and SRR's entire skillsets, but in a direct p4p matchup against Floyd they each have tendencies that Mayweather could exploit.

(*raises flameshield again*) Ali was over-reliant on his jab which Floyd would adjust to and counter off. He was also susceptible to left-hooks, and although his punches weren't soft he would not have the power to stun Mayweather.

From the couple of fights I've seen of SRR he holds his left hand very low, which someone with Mayweather's speed could take advantage of. He also tended to drop his hands when he threw power shots, which Mayweather could counter off. And one advantage Mayweather would have over both Ali and SRR is that they were each purely outside fighters (SRR's clinchwork is some of the sloppiet I've seen), whereas Mayweather is capable of both outslicking his opponents on the outside and breaking them down on the inside.

And to anyone who says that Floyd needs to beat (insert name here) to be considered an all time great, people said the same thing before Floyd fought Baldomir, DLH, Hatton and Mosley. No matter who Maweather beats it will never be good enough, people let there own personal dislike of Floyd get in the way of their ability to evaluate his skills as a boxer.

I'm sure that 90% of people will s**t all over this post out of pure hatred of Mayweather, but to the less bias among you I'm curious to hear your opinions.
                      Yeah but even if Floyd, could win a fight against SRR, that alone wouldn't be enough to say he's greater than SRR...because you're talking about a fighters entire body of work...you're talking about how guys come back from losses and hard times in a fight.

ATG status encompasses every aspect of what makes up the fighter, not just skillset, or who beats who.

Also, how can you even make any comparison between Ali, SRR, and Floyd when admittedly you've seen about 10 Ali or SRR fights?

I'm a big Floyd fan and he is damn good, but he is not a top 10 ATG fighter. He isn't a top 25 ATG fighter.

Comment

Working...
                      X