Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has Floyd done enough to be considered up there alongside Ali and SRR?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
    I need to see Floyd in a war before putting him alongside them.
    A war lol...just one war huh? Thats enough for you ? lol thats funny...Try WAAARSSSSS

Comment

In terms of skill people could always argue there case for Floyd.

In terms of greatness no and he never will rank along those names and no realistic argument can be made to state otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by 4CornersKid View Post
        If Floyd ended up beating Pacquiao and Sergio Martinez, he'd without a doubt be in the Top 20 GOAT, maybe even Top 15. But, as it stands, he and Pac both are around Top 30 GOAT to me.

Floyd's an ATG, but not nearly as high on that list as Ali, Leonard, Robinson, etc.
        Serious? Martinez is good but come on.

Comment

It's outrageous to think that a fighter "needs a war" to be an ATG. The fact that he has been able to handle himself and keep the fight in his control, should be enough to make up for "wars he didn't have." Floyd has had plenty of adversity in his career, which he has overcome every time.
          Granted his record isn't as large as some others(Only 42 fights) each fight has been a great demonstration of his boxing ability. What more do you need?

Mayweather is probably the closest to the ideal boxer that we see. On a technical level, there isn't anyone who looks as good as he does, currently or in history. I don't see how he hasn't done enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Jones Jnr View Post
            As a true contender as the ATG?

There has only been two justifiable candidates for the true ATG of Boxing and those two are Muhammad Ali and Sugar Ray Robinson. Of course there will be many people who have their own choice as the ATG but that would be more their opinion as a fanboy and not as a true Boxing argument. As Boxing fans surely we can all/most of us admit that those two have been the only two real candidates for that title. Or are they? Has Floyd Mayweather done enough in his career to have his name up alongside those two titans of Boxing?

Now this most likely will have been asked before but i have not seen nor was i around at that time to engage in that particular discussion.

WARNING - PLEASE LETS TRY AND HAVE A DISCUSSION IN THIS THREAD LIKE ADULTS AND NOT LIKE A BUNCH OF SAD INTERNET WARRIORS AND GET ALL CHILDISH. NO *****S OR *******S EITHER WAY UNLESS YOU CAN PUT YOUR POINT ACROSS IN A ADULT LIKE MANNER AND WITHOUT INSULTING ANYONE, IF YOU FEEL YOU CANNOT ENGAGE IN THIS DISCUSSION IN AN ADULT MANNER THEN PLEASE REFRAIN FROM POSTING IN THIS THREAD. Thanks.
            I wish you had made this poll public so we could have had a good laugh at the(so far) five ******ed bumsniffs that voted yes.

Comment

Its impossible for floyd relative to ali and srr. They were the best at a time when their divisions were at their height. WHen the sport was at its heights. Floyd doesn't have the quality of opposition to choose from as they had.

Besides, when ALi dominated a Jurgin Blinn or someone like that he was rewarded for it. When floyd dominates a fighter we immediately question the opposition.

Comment

Hell no. And hell no, not if he beats Pacquiao either. He can get rid of this glorified C fighter in Cotto, then fight Alvarez, Martinez and Pacquiao in whatever order, and he still wouldn't come close to them. That's just my opinion, I have no ATG list, so I would take an answer of some one like Irondan or TheGreatA, Jab, or some one like that. The truth is, at least the truth for me is, there's no one around Floyd right now that would enhance his spot by that much to put him in talks with Ali and SRR, i'm not trying to hate on Floyd, he's one of my favorite boxers, but it's not his fault though. If he had guys like Ward and Hopkins around his weight class, a win over those two would do more than a win over Pacquiao and Martinez, or Cotto and Alvarez. To me, Martinez is the best of those 4, I don't think very highly of the other 3, but I have high hopes for Alvarez and his career because of his skills he shows at an early age.

Comment

Great fighter, but no way near the top 10 ATGs let alone the likes of Ali and SRR.

Comment

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
                    I need to see Floyd in a war before putting him alongside them.
                    That's asking for too much. Floyd's skills disable him from being in a war. It's not his fault, it's just in his nature to be so flawless that he just doesn't know what a war is. He goes in to the battle field and comes out without a scratch. He didn't get the name Pretty Boy cause he's cute or something, he got the name in the amateurs for his defense and barely getting touched.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                      That's asking for too much. Floyd's skills disable him from being in a war. It's not his fault, it's just in his nature to be so flawless that he just doesn't know what a war is. He goes in to the battle field and comes out without a scratch. He didn't get the name Pretty Boy cause he's cute or something, he got the name in the amateurs for his defense and barely getting touched.
                      But why isn't this a measure of floyds greatness. He continues to win against different types of fighters and they don't inflict any punsihment on him, yet that by many is seen a s a negative. I just don't undertsnd this mentality.

Comment

Working...
                      X