Did Floyd dodge Cotto in 2007/2008?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dan-O-Mac View Post
    What excuse?

Cotto wasn't pushing for the fight back then, Mayweather was the man, fight never happened. Cotto wasn't pushing for the fight now, Mayweather is still the man, the fight is happening. According to your logic, the man shouldn't pursue the challenger, so why is the fight happening now? Was it not Mayweather who put Cotto on his list of opponents?

Why, because Mayweather wants it. Same way if he wanted it then, he would have made an attempt to get it done then. Cotto could have gotten Arum on it, slapped Mayweather's momma with a brick. It doesn't mean **** if Mayweather doesn't want the fight. For your list of challengers who made a play for a champ and got the fight, I could make one just as big for those that didn't get the opportunity, no matter how much they begged.

Do you think Hatton made a play for Mayweather, you're wrong, it's the other way around. Mayweather had his sights on Hatton before Hatton had his first Welterweight fight. Go watch the Sworn Enemies build up for Mayweather vs Judah, and you'll hear Mayweather talk about his desire to fight Hatton. Hatton vs. Mayweather didn't happen because Hatton clowned him(even though people always claim he called him out), it happened because Mayweather wanted it to happen.

Stop pretending to not know how the sport works.
    WRONG because Cotto said if he could not get a fight with Manny Pacquiao because of the weight issues then he would fight FloydMayweather Jr. Everything I said happened EXACTLY how it went and is recorded in the history books. No one can prove that Floyd ducked/avoided Cotto but I can prove that he didn't. End of story.

Comment

• Originally posted by HandSpeed303 View Post
      Funny how Floyd fans have no problem justifying Margo's loss to Paul Williams, but stand firm on this...

Anyway, I really don't care. Really I don't! I just still find it hard to believe people still bring this stuff up...

For the record though (I think you and Glust have touch on it already), Margo and Floyd were in talks (no contract to fight, just talks) leading up to the Margo/Gomez fight...I think that was in 2006. Right around the Zab fight or whatever.

Glust, I agree with most of the stuff you say, but Floyd should have chose Margo instead of Zab (after his loss to Baldi). Doesn't matter now, but it did then.
      If you are going to address me then get my name right. It's Grustler. Anyway,you guys are disregarding and over looking why the fight did not happen to try and throw salt on Floyd for not fighting Margarito. All of that came down to Arum not wanting to get Floyd the De La Hoya fight. Why is that so hard to comprehend? Once Floyd left Arum he got the Oscar De La Hoya fight. So if Arum would have guaranteed Floyd the 20MIL for Oscar and the guarantees on Hatton and Cotto then the fight would have happen. That's the real of it, not that he should or could have fought Margarito. Sure he could have but it wasn't in Arum's favor to get Floyd what he wanted in order to fight him so the fight didn't happen.

I don't see any merit in saying Floyd could have fought Margarito because he was considered the tougher opponent but how can we know that for sure if Judah never fought Margarito? Who knows if Margarito would have won or not? Also, Zab had the IBF title and his word from Floyd that he would fight him. Where I am from your word means everything. I can't understand how so many people give Margarito credit by saying Floyd ducked him? Dude was/is overrated and he could have been cheating. I refuse to give him that much respect. Especially since he got boxed around by Paul Williams. Realistically, Zab Judah was a better fight commercially and financially.

Comment

• Originally posted by big_james10 View Post
        please explain to me which part was selective memory: 1) the fact that he lost to Santos; 2) the fact that he lost to Paul Williams or 3) the fact that he was losing on the scorecards to Clottey until Clottey injured his shoulder. All of these are facts and all of it can be proven.
        You pick 3 fights out of 10. He was coming back against Santos ** it was 5-4 Santos with Margarito coming back strong), he kicked Clottey's sorry ass by throwing 1675 punches.
        He lost to WILLIAMS.

You conveniently leave out who he beat Lewis, Diaz, Perez, Citnron, Kyvleos, Clottey, and why don't we throw in Sergio Martinez for good measure since you are picking and choosing a few fights.

He was 8-1 with 6 ko's as welterweight champ. Why don't you just leave that out too?

Oh yeah, you did.
        Last edited by jreckoning; 03-02-2012, 07:22 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by GRUSTLER View Post
          If you are going to address me then get my name right. It's Grustler. Anyway,you guys are disregarding and over looking why the fight did not happen to try and throw salt on Floyd for not fighting Margarito. All of that came down to Arum not wanting to get Floyd the De La Hoya fight. Why is that so hard to comprehend? Once Floyd left Arum he got the Oscar De La Hoya fight. So if Arum would have guaranteed Floyd the 20MIL for Oscar and the guarantees on Hatton and Cotto then the fight would have happen. That's the real of it, not that he should or could have fought Margarito. Sure he could have but it wasn't in Arum's favor to get Floyd what he wanted in order to fight him so the fight didn't happen.

I don't see any merit in saying Floyd could have fought Margarito because he was considered the tougher opponent but how can we know that for sure if Judah never fought Margarito? Who knows if Margarito would have won or not? Also, Zab had the IBF title and his word from Floyd that he would fight him. Where I am from your word means everything. I can't understand how so many people give Margarito credit by saying Floyd ducked him? Dude was/is overrated and he could have been cheating. I refuse to give him that much respect. Especially since he got boxed around by Paul Williams. Realistically, Zab Judah was a better fight commercially and financially.

Judah lost and got a gift fight against Floyd. Nothing should exonerate that.
          That was some *****. I heard it was because contracts and tv dates were signed.

There was call for Margarito-Mayweather all through 2006.

It's 2012 now, nothing can change anything. I am out.

Comment

• Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
            I know the video you're talking about.

I wouldn't have so much of a problem if that was Mayweather's sole stance on the Cotto fight.

The problem that greatly upset me at the time was the fact that Floyd had about 10 other reasons on top of that:

1. Cotto doesn't have a fan base.
            2. He's transitioning to MMA.
            3. Re-matching DLH.
            4. Taking a vacation/needs a break.
            5. Retiring.
            6. There's no challenges in boxing right now.
            7. Cotto isn't his own boss.

On down the line.

If Mayweather tried to negotiate with Arum and things didn't work out (like Mayweather vs Pac negotiations), that's one thing. But that's not what happen. Mayweather is his own boss so all he had to do is say the word, just like he's done with everyone else since separating.

The problem is he never even attempted to negotiate or hear negotiations from Team Cotto due to the 7 reasons listed above.

This is where I have a problem.
            Answer this question. How could Floyd be ducking Cotto when it is already on file in the history books of the sport that Cotto was not ready to fight Floyd when he was moving up from 135? Bob Arum did not want to make that fight. Was Cotto ducking Floyd?

"We're looking for guys like Ricky Hatton and 'Pretty Boy' Floyd Mayweather. So you're seeing now the finishing touches on the emerging superstar, and in 2006 hopefully he will be able to claim the mantle of the real, real superstar."

Hatton emerged as the recognized 140-pound champion with his TKO of Kostya Tszyu June 11. Mayweather, the pound-for-pound king who is also promoted by Arum, stopped Arturo Gatti to claim a junior welterweight title two weeks later.

Cotto against either man would certainly qualify as a super fight, but before either match can be explored seriously, he has to keep winning."
            Bob Arum did not want to make that fight. How could people say Floyd ducked Cotto? Baffles me how Floyd could duck a guy who wasn't ready to fight him as a champion in a division Floyd was moving up to. Opinions on Cotto/Floyd are very bias in favor of Cotto.

Comment

• Originally posted by jreckoning View Post
              Judah lost and got a gift fight against Floyd. Nothing should exonerate that.
              That was some *****. I heard it was because contracts and tv dates were signed.

There was call for Margarito-Mayweather all through 2006.

It's 2012 now, nothing can change anything. I am out.
              From Bob Arum.

Comment

From Bob Arum.

fROM SPORTS ILLUSTRATED, from espn, from cnn, from maxboxing, from here, from doghouse, from everywhere.

Everyone including the ring magazine had Margarito number 1 from 2004 to 2006.
                Who wouldn't have wanted to see that fight?

I get why Floyd chose who he chose, but let's not pretend people didn't want this fight back then.

Comment

Answer this question. How could Floyd be ducking Cotto when it is already on file in the history books of the sport that Cotto was not ready to fight Floyd when he was moving up from 135? Bob Arum did not want to make that fight. Was Cotto ducking Floyd?

Bob Arum did not want to make that fight. How could people say Floyd ducked Cotto? Baffles me how Floyd could duck a guy who wasn't ready to fight him as a champion in a division Floyd was moving up to. Opinions on Cotto/Floyd are very bias in favor of Cotto.
                  Grustler, I think you're confusing 2005/2006 with early 2008.

I already agreed that Mayweather tried to make the Cotto fight in 2006. It's in the ESPN article that I posted a few pages back. I know this.

Unfortunately, I'm not talking about 2006 right now; I'm talking about 2008, before Cotto fought Gomez and Margarito. Mayweather - Cotto fight was on the table. The public wanted it; everybody wanted it. All Mayweather had to say was the word. Instead, he chose to retire but still negotiate a 2nd fight with DLH. How can you be retired and still negotiating a fight? That tells me you still got the will to fight in you.

But since I've answered your question about 2006 and we're on 2006, answer this question for me:

1. Was Cotto's fan base bigger in 2006 or early 2008 after the Mosley fight; How can Mayweather agree to fight Cotto in 2006, but turn around and deny Cotto the fight after he's coming off the biggest win of his career by saying Cotto doesn't have "a fan base"?

Do you see what I'm saying? You don't even have to say Mayweather ducked Cotto; just admit that it's strange to accept a fight in 2006, but turn it down a year and a half later due to a guy's fan base; as if Cotto's fan base and resume were better in 2006 when you accepted the fight than early 2008.

Do you see?

Comment

• Originally posted by jreckoning View Post
                    fROM SPORTS ILLUSTRATED, from espn, from cnn, from maxboxing, from here, from doghouse, from everywhere.

Everyone including the ring magazine had Margarito number 1 from 2004 to 2006.
                    Who wouldn't have wanted to see that fight?

I get why Floyd chose who he chose, but let's not pretend people didn't want this fight back then.
                    Brian Kenny was also saying that Mayweather was trying to duck Carlos Baldomir.

Comment

• yes he did, and admittedly so
                      it's still a decent win for him now
                      but it woulda been a huge win if he fought Cotto when he shoulda done it
                      it was one of boxing's biggest fights before
                      now it's still a good event, but it's not really relevant anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X