Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Floyd dodge Cotto in 2007/2008?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's hard to say. I think Mayweather avoided the fight, but who knows what went on behind closed doors.

Comment

• Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
      I don't think Cotto pushed the fight like Hatton did, no. I don't think Hatton was as much of a threat like Cotto was either, "at the time". I think the Hatton fight was easier to make with less of a risk than Cotto, yes.

I can't speak on 2005/2006 because I already agreed with the fact that Mayweather tried to fight him then.

But as far as your question about should Mayweather have acceptingly waited for Cotto to get better, yes. I think that Mayweather should've let Cotto get better before he fought him; I mean let's face it. Today, Mayweather mentions in all his interviews that he wants to fight Cotto at 154 because he wants the best Cotto. Well if he wanted the best Cotto, early 2008 was the time to fight him.

That said, why would Mayweather mention Cotto's fan base in 2008 for a more experienced Cotto, but not 2006 for a less experienced Cotto?
      I remember Roger Mayweather said in an interview that if Cotto got past Margarito then a fight with Floyd could get made and that was in 08. I don't think no version of Cotto would ever beat Floyd. A prime undefeated Cotto squeaked past a 36 year old Mosley in 2007. That's not a threat to Floyd in my opinion. Collazo fought to the end with a broken hand with Shane.
      Last edited by GRUSTLER; 03-02-2012, 04:49 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by GRUSTLER View Post
        I remember Roger Mayweather said in an interview that if Cotto got past Margarito then a fight with Floyd could get made and that was in 08. I don't think no version of Cotto would ever beat Floyd. A prime undefeated Cotto squeaked past a 36 year old Mosley in 2007. That's not a threat to Floyd in my opinion. Collazo fought to the end with a broken hand with Shane.
        I remember that interview also.

I want to say that interview was made while Floyd was retired.

From what I remembered, the interviewer asked Roger if Floyd would fight Cotto and Roger replied with "why not?. If it makes dollars, it makes sense".

Something like that. I think Floyd probably would've beat him, I just didn't like that whole comment about "fan base". That just made is seem like he was coming up with excuses then.

But anyway, cheers to May 5th man.

Comment

• Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
          I don't think Cotto pushed the fight like Hatton did, no. I don't think Hatton was as much of a threat like Cotto was either, "at the time". I think the Hatton fight was easier to make with less of a risk than Cotto, yes.
          Hatton just wanted it more. Less risk or not, in Hatton eyes, he believed that he could win. Hatton beat Tsyzu and Castillo and felt he was ready. Even though both weren't at their best those were still good wins for Hatton. Cotto was just content with Bob lining up the fights. Looking forward to the fight on May 5th.

Comment

WRONG because Cotto said if he could not get a fight with Manny Pacquiao because of the weight issues then he would fight FloydMayweather Jr. Everything I said happened EXACTLY how it went and is recorded in the history books. No one can prove that Floyd ducked/avoided Cotto but I can prove that he didn't. End of story.
            The only reason the fight is happening now is because Mayweather put Cotto on his list of opponents. Something he didn't do in the past, in fact Mayweather did the total opposite and came up with bull**** excuses. What part of that don't you get.

Right, same way you proved Hatton pushed for a Mayweather fight. give me a break. You haven't proved anything. The only thing you're doing is voicing your opinion, making excuses and assumptions. End the story telling.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan-O-Mac View Post
              The only reason the fight is happening now is because Mayweather put Cotto on his list of opponents. Something he didn't do in the past, in fact Mayweather did the total opposite and came up with bull**** excuses. What part of that don't you get.

Right, same way you proved Hatton pushed for a Mayweather fight. give me a break. You haven't proved anything. The only thing you're doing is voicing your opinion, making excuses and assumptions. End the story telling.
              So you're saying that everything I posted about Arum, De La Hoya...etc is all opinions? I back it up with articles and quotes. You have more of an opinion than me. you can simply look up everything I have been posting on here from the jump but your opinion is that Floyd ducked Cotto and you cannot prove that he did but I can prove that he pushed for the fight with Cotto and Margarito. Are you denying this? As a matter a fact don't even answer because we are just going in circles. So Hatton didn't take the mic after he beat Castillo and call out Mayweather? Is that what you are telling me? Don't answer because you are going to make up some non sense to try to prove me wrong but it happened. Cotto never did that AT ALL.

Comment

So you're saying that everything I posted about Arum, De La Hoya...etc is all opinions? I back it up with articles and quotes. You have more of an opinion than me. you can simply look up everything I have been posting on here from the jump but your opinion is that Floyd ducked Cotto and you cannot prove that he did but I can prove that he pushed for the fight with Cotto and Margarito. Are you denying this? As a matter a fact don't even answer because we are just going in circles. So Hatton didn't take the mic after he beat Castillo and call out Mayweather? Is that what you are telling me? Don't answer because you are going to make up some non sense to try to prove me wrong but it happened. Cotto never did that AT ALL.
                I stated a while back that it was my opinion, I'm not trying to pass anything off as fact. Unless you magically got in the mind of Mayweather, you're doing the same. There was a time Mayweather pursued Cotto, and there was a time he *****ed out with a bunch of gay ass excuses. That is a fact.

I already broke the Hatton scenario down to you, I'm not going to post it again.

I bet you believe that Mayweather came out of retirement because Marquez called him out too. Oh jeez, you're so gullible.

Comment

• According to some, if Mayweather wanted to "duck" Margarito, all he had to do is ask for a drug test.

Comment

• Definitely Arum. Also Floyd turned down 25 mil in a rematch against Hoya. He was pretty much done with boxing at that point.

Comment

• Originally posted by SkillspayBills View Post
                      Definitely Arum. Also Floyd turned down 25 mil in a rematch against Hoya. He was pretty much done with boxing at that point.
                      Can you provide any articles between Jan - April 2008 that remotely hinted Arum wouldn't allow Mayweather to negotiate the fight? Kind of like what we're seeing now with Pac.

I will wait however long you need me to wait for the article.

Comment

Working...
                      X