No announcement yet.

Boxing Truth Video - 119 Clinches by Alexander

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by snoopymiller View Post

Way too much clinching. It's illegal and it's clearly in the rules. Sad to see what boxing has become.
    Clinching is not what won him the fight. He outperformed in every way.

Very good performance by Alexander, very impressive.

Comment

I was saying that from the first round. He didn't need to do it to win. In his defense though, Maidana seemed content to be clinched. He didn't push his way out or fight back against it.

Comment

It was frustrating to see Devon clinch so much, his trainer S. Cunningham even whispered to him to "grab him" when he got close.

Team Alexander was lucky enough to get Ref. Smoger who usually lets them fight their way out of clinches/holds. Which is why no points were called out, imho.

Comment

Cunningham kept telling him to "CLINCH" and I did not even think he needed it to do so, in fact he was HOLDING MAIDANA UP from going down by Clinching and he did it a few times

He doesn't have confidence in his SKILLS, SPEED or POWER and he fights extremely STIFF and he make fights tougher then they should be, he stops Maidana if he would have stepped back and put punches together instead of throwing a combo then clinching

but again he is YOUNG so he has plenty of room to grow but I think adding a trainer to go with Cunningham...WOULDN'T HURT!

I must be honest I wasn't OVERLY IMPRESSED because Maidana was never all that good IMO, I didn't see anything to make me believe that Alexander would beat Bradley in a rematch or even someone like Peterson
          Last edited by sicko; 02-27-2012, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Its called fighting like alil b*tch

something that devon, wifebeater, Bhop, ward, etc all have in common

Comment

ppl act like maidana didnt clinch as well and like maidana himself isnt a clinch fighter. he is. ppl just always look for something to complain about.

Comment

119? Damn I didn't realise it was that many! It's a part of the sport now deal with it. But I see a lot of people in here who justified khan being deducted 2 points for pushing because he done it excessively and it's illegal but these same people won't say **** about this.

Clinching and pushing are a part of boxing now this ain't the 1920's anymore.

Comment

He was clinching way too unnecessarily sometimes, He would land a nice punch then jump and try to clinch maidana who happens to be Hurt, I didn't understand that part and who knows if Maidana would have been deducted points too for pushing him off, Boxing is getting complicated these days.

Comment

There was way too much clinching in this one. Alexander kept on throwing his punches then clinching before Maidana could counter.

It certainly doesn't make for an overly entertaining two-way fight. I can't remember a fight where a fan said, whoa, did you see that impressive holding all night long. That was great ... can't wait to see more of that.

It doesn't matter who does it ... when it's excessive it is excessive. Imagine, those numbers were for a 10 round fight not 12 rounds! lol!

Comment

Tactically dominated. So the clinching was slightly excessive, but it was up to Maidana to adapt. He literally threw no combinations and showed very little footwork.

Like others have said, there was little wrong with the clinching since Alexander was the one rolling combinations. It was all part of his gameplan.

I wish more brawlers like Katsidis were around but there is nothing wrong with what Alexander did in there.

He out-classed Maidana and he should get his credit without nit-picking one aspect of his performance.

Perhaps the most revealing counter-stat:

Number of times Maidana complained: 0

He knew he had no answers himself so he probably doesn't warrant defence on forums.

Comment

Working...
                      X