Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Sauerland: Povetkin-Rahman is Next, Not Huck Rematch

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTF's currently number 4 in the boxrec heavyweight rankings. Thing is, outside the Klits, the top ten really isn't representative of the best in the division. Any one of those guys could be exchanged for someone ten or fifteen places below them. We seem to be going through a bit of a shakedown at the moment, and it's becoming a free for all of reasonably even-matched contenders. I actually don't mind that, if it results in more competitive matchups. Screw what it says about the division, excitement's what's needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Superflo777 View Post
      I never said Huck was a top heavyweight. Seriously.
      See post #13 my friend. You said 2 contenders fought yesterday after I said the top contenders don't fight each other. Huck was not a contender at all in the heavyweight division.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadman View Post
        WTF's currently number 4 in the boxrec heavyweight rankings. Thing is, outside the Klits, the top ten really isn't representative of the best in the division. Any one of those guys could be exchanged for someone ten or fifteen places below them. We seem to be going through a bit of a shakedown at the moment, and it's becoming a free for all of reasonably even-matched contenders. I actually don't mind that, if it results in more competitive matchups. Screw what it says about the division, excitement's what's needed.
        I'm all for more excitement. If these guys would just fight each other more often we'd get that and it would strengthen the division by weeding out who the top fighters really were.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
          I'm all for more excitement. If these guys would just fight each other more often we'd get that and it would strengthen the division by weeding out who the top fighters really were.
          Exactly, cause it sure isn't Povetkin, Dimitrenko, Thompson or Fury.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom.
            What we need is for the other HWs to have the willingness to fight anyone, like Helenius, Pulev and Chisora do. Of course, the promoters have a lot to do with it.

Even K-2 as a promoter leaves something to be desired. They have Ustinov fighting Manswell (Boxrec #169 heavyweight) this weekend - why not make an interesting matchup like Ustinov vs. someone who would make for a competitive fight like Perez, Lawrence, Grant, Wach, or Ortiz? Some would turn it down, but surely they could have found somebody better than Manswell.

The sanctioning organizations need to have more eliminators, one per year (the WBO hasn't had an eliminator since 2009, and when they last did it was a good fight, Chambers-Dimitrenko).
            Exactly. And people shouldn't get so hung up on lesser ranked guys giving "top ten" fighters fits or even beating them. This is going to happen, and needs to happen if we want a better, more ordered division at the end of it. Till then, sit back and enjoy another Huck Povetkin if it comes along.

Comment

Chisora was at the fight but his antics last week probably scared off a fight with Povetkin too.

Comment

Originally posted by TaurusJ27 View Post
                Chisora was at the fight but his antics last week probably scared off a fight with Povetkin too.
                Antics aside, he's one of the better heavyweights today in my opinion. A few weeks ago I was harping on his inexperience. And while he still has much to learn he has proven he is a capable contender. Povetkin would do himself good to fight him in my opinion.

Comment

talk of scrapping the bottom of the barrel...all Rahman's done the past few years is b boring & overwt...

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                    Antics aside, he's one of the better heavyweights today in my opinion. A few weeks ago I was harping on his inexperience. And while he still has much to learn he has proven he is a capable contender. Povetkin would do himself good to fight him in my opinion.
                    Agreed. Povetkin has to face Rahman to keep his plastic title and will probably have a Huckic rematch to redeem himself in the public's eye along with his ego after that. He has been fighting frequently so hopefully he'll get those two fights done with by the end of the summer then he will hopefully fight someone like Chisora, Adamek, Arreola.

Huckic fight aside Povetkin usually has a good stamina, hes been known for it through his career, so with Chisora's pressure and Sasha's combination punching it would be exciting. I expect Povetkin being able to take his punch because Chisora doesn't seem to have much 1 punch power. It would be a long, action packed, grueling war.
                    Last edited by Khmelnytsky; 02-27-2012, 09:16 AM.

Comment

This might be a good fight for Povetkin to get his confidence back, plus it'll give him a but more time to work with his new trainer.

Comment

Working...
                      X