No announcement yet.

Pinoy Prospects not Mercito Gesta

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elplayapimp View Post
    Yeah so mares beating agbeko twice and darchyian aint quality? He still has a bright future while pac has maybe just this year leaft and donaire a few more.
    compared to pac and nonito , he aint....like i said jmm is the only guy that stands out out all your paper champions....

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
      Sevania throws combinations like Johncods.

I like what I see though. I'll be sure to watch out for him.
      I'm glad I'm not the only one here that thinks he has potential. His lack of power limits his upside but he is still 20 years old and could develop more power. Future world champion.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamantiumPI View Post
        I honestly thought Marquez barely won the last fight (decision can be made either way) against Pacquiao but I thought Pacquiao won the first two fights. Morales won the first fight but lost the last two to Pac. Pacquiao in terms of all time greatness > Morales and Marquez.

The Philippines is a here and there producer of boxing champions at the moment. But Pacquiao has brought change and I have seen an improvement in the trainers (ALA boxers slowly improving and Bobby Villaver is a decent trainer). Recent prospects look more skilled and have better defense than the last batch of prospects. I' don't think the Philippines will match Mexico in terms of depth but the future is bright in Philippine boxing.
        See is that to hard to do for a pinoy. I think the score between them two should be 1-1-1

Comment

Originally posted by elplayapimp View Post
          See is that to hard to do for a pinoy. I think the score between them two should be 1-1-1
          whether you think jmm won or not is irellevant...jmm lost twice and one draw, thats the actaul result....aint no changing that.....

Comment

Originally posted by puga View Post
            whether you think jmm won or not is irellevant...jmm lost twice and one draw, thats the actaul result....aint no changing that.....

I have it 1-1-1 but Marquez looked better in the fight with slick counters.Skills and technique is not Manny's forte.I don't see him beating the best and most skilled boxer in the planet,Floyd.I'd give Manny a punchers chance but it's a long shot of that happening.

Comment

Enough of this nationalistic bs. The Philippines has been top heavy lately with Pac and Donaire and I expect more superstars to come out of the woodwork.

My top 10 Pinoy Prospects (similar to Filo's list)

1) Genesis Servania - 20 yrs old, good head movement, counter punching, quick, relentless with no apparent stamina problems, nice hand speed. mediocre power limits potential. should be less aggressive.

2) Milan Melindo - skilled, methodical and has beaten a few contenders. comparable to ivan calderon. lacks power. Nice style and the safest pick of all the prospects.

3. denver cuello - one of the best minimumweights in the world. Has good intensity and power.

4) Marvin Sonsona former world champion. 21 years old, quick hard hitting southpaw. fights like a southpaw donaire. weaknesses in defense, mainly the right hand, head movement, stamina, and body durability. Lazy.

5) Froilan Saludar KO fighter, big right hand. might have defensive weaknesses but a lot of the fights that I have seen ended to quickly to make an assessment of his defense.

6) Sylvester Lopez good fighter, decent power and head movement.

7. richie mepranum - very good boxer but with very little power. outboxed Hernan Marqez. 24 years old. needs more experience.

8. Mercito Gesta quick and explosive southpaw with decent hand speed and a decent right hook/uppercut. defensive and stamina issues. floats as he throws punches with takes away power. fights with his hands low. comparable to a slower pacquiao with less power and poor stamina.

9. Lorenzo Villanueva Hard hitting southpaw. 21 fights and 20 ko's. but very raw, has stamina issues and lacks even the fundamental basics. Huge upside. Freddie Roach seems to think he has good upside. Compared to Marcos Maidana and Edwin VAlero.

10.a. a. j. banal - good southpaw fighter with a decent right hand. has stamina and defense issues; might not have the intangibles as he gave up vs Concepcion.

10.b. Johnriel Casimero - 21 years old. decent boxer would list higher if he wasn't being mishandled by Gelloani.

Safest Pick: Milan Melindo
              Most Unpredictable: Lorenzo Villanueva

Tough list for me to make; a lot of my choices can go either way. I didn't list Drian Francisco because he's 29 years old. Seems like I have a preference for fighters with defensive skills.

Comment

Mercito Gesta gets all the hype because he's the only Pinoy prospect that weighs above 126 lbs.

I remember reading somewhere that to be big in the Philippines a boxer needs to fight above bantamweight. So I guess the starting point is 122 lbs.?

In the U.S. it seems you have to at least fight at welterweight,147 lbs. to be big star . Or am I wrong? maybe lightweight.
                Last edited by AdamantiumPI; 01-24-2012, 04:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamantiumPI View Post
                  Enough of this nationalistic bs. The Philippines has been top heavy lately with Pac and Donaire and I expect more superstars to come out of the woodwork.

My top 10 Pinoy Prospects (similar to Filo's list)

1) Genesis Servania - 20 yrs old, good head movement, counter punching, quick, relentless with no apparent stamina problems, nice hand speed. mediocre power limits potential. should be less aggressive.

2) Milan Melindo - skilled, methodical and has beaten a few contenders. comparable to ivan calderon. lacks power. Nice style and the safest pick of all the prospects.

3. denver cuello - one of the best minimumweights in the world. Has good intensity and power.

4) Marvin Sonsona former world champion. 21 years old, quick hard hitting southpaw. fights like a southpaw donaire. weaknesses in defense, mainly the right hand, head movement, stamina, and body durability. Lazy.

5) Froilan Saludar KO fighter, big right hand. might have defensive weaknesses but a lot of the fights that I have seen ended to quickly to make an assessment of his defense.

6) Sylvester Lopez good fighter, decent power and head movement.

7. richie mepranum - very good boxer but with very little power. outboxed Hernan Marqez. 24 years old. needs more experience.

8. Mercito Gesta quick and explosive southpaw with decent hand speed and a decent right hook/uppercut. defensive and stamina issues. floats as he throws punches with takes away power. fights with his hands low. comparable to a slower pacquiao with less power and poor stamina.

9. Lorenzo Villanueva Hard hitting southpaw. 21 fights and 20 ko's. but very raw, has stamina issues and lacks even the fundamental basics. Huge upside. Freddie Roach seems to think he has good upside. Compared to Marcos Maidana and Edwin VAlero.

10.a. a. j. banal - good southpaw fighter with a decent right hand. has stamina and defense issues; might not have the intangibles as he gave up vs Concepcion.

10.b. Johnriel Casimero - 21 years old. decent boxer would list higher if he wasn't being mishandled by Gelloani.

Safest Pick: Milan Melindo
                  Most Unpredictable: Lorenzo Villanueva

Tough list for me to make; a lot of my choices can go either way. I didn't list Drian Francisco because he's 29 years old. Seems like I have a preference for fighters with defensive skills.
                  I didn't even know who Genesis Servania was. So I looked him up on youtube, and came across your channel.

Comment

I agree with your list.

Awesome insight and analysis.

Pure boxer/puncher.

Melindo keeps improving.That's what is all about,getting better.I am impress with his skills set and ability.Servania is another one that has sweet science.

Puncher:

Probably Saludar is my pick.He does have skills and defense.It's just that he ends it pretty fast.

Sonsona; This kid is raw he hasn't even matured physically.I think he is one of those kids that get better and stronger with age.Btw, he would stop Villanueva.

All rounder.

Sylvester lopez.

He doesn't do one thing really great.But he does most of it good.Like I mean he is not the most athletic or the fastest.But he is sound/His fight with Montes.I thought he might stopped Montes if it continued.

Last edited by Filo; 01-24-2012, 04:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by -FLIP- View Post
                      I didn't even know who Genesis Servania was. So I looked him up on youtube, and came across your channel.
                      I first heard about him when I heard ALA matched him up with Gerson Guerrero, the same hard hitting veteran that was supposed to be matched with Donaire not too long ago. I first thought that a 20 year old with 14 fights had no business with a veteran. But then I saw his sparring footage and saw some potential and heard he had a dominating win over Gerson.

Comment

Working...
                      X