Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Must Be Because All The Best Prospects Are in the NFL and NBA!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Haglerwins View Post

you're actually making the point football is a detractor to boxing.

6 out of the top 10 valuable teams from your link are NFL teams.
    And in Europe, South America, Africa and pretty much all the world, Football is the most popular sport by far, and must be taking away many great boxers away from the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by HooksInYou View Post
      More than anything, I was just trying to show what a ridiculous excuse is being made here.

When America went from having Ali, Foreman, and Frazier in the 70s to pretty much only Holmes in the 80s, was that because Gridiron grew? When Tyson and Holyfield came along afterward, was that because gridiron shrank?

By the way, the amount made globally in soccer would make that made by gridiron look like pittance. If boxing has competitors in America, it has just as fierce ones elsewhere. As an Australian I couldn't tell you the name of a single NFL team. But I've heard of and know the team colours of Manchester United, Barcelona, Arsenal, etc. and I don't even watch them play.

I think those with a natural love of the sport, and I think it would take that to succeed in it, will naturally gravitate toward it. But there is fluctuation in everything, including success.
      The NBA was the rising force then with players like Bird, Magic, Ewing, David Robinson, Jordan, etc. coming along.

Comment

Originally posted by FistOfTyson View Post
        Roids? Look at your man Manny....willing to get a tattoo but freaks out at the idea of a PED test ,rofl

and the boxers you named may not pack much power but they are more skilled than any boxer to come out of asia.....
        The difference between Toney, RJJ and Mosley vs Pac is that they were caught on roids.

Convicted criminals.

All Pac has are slanderous accusations.

Are you an idiot?

Comment

Originally posted by D4thincarnation View Post
          And in Europe, South America, Africa and pretty much all the world, Football is the most popular sport by far, and must be taking away many great boxers away from the sport.
          I can't speak for the media and socioeconomic sports climate in those countries.

I'm from the U.S.

Football (it's at the top), NBA, MLB, PGA is where the money and focus is and where the sports media puts much of its attention.

Most of the kiddy league money goes to the first 3 sports as well.

Comment

I can't speak for the media and economic climate in those countries.

I'm from the U.S.

Football (it's at the top), NBA, MLB, PGA is where the money and focus is and where the sports media puts much of its attention.

Most of the kiddy league money goes to the first 3 sports as well.
            Well I'm from the UK with a population of 60 million, a 1 million people go to live football games every week, and it played at a competitive level every week by around another million, through local leagues, schools.

Kids play it parks, in playground, on the street.

All you need is a ball to play.

All the focus goes into football being the national sport of the country. Boxing not even 0.1% of the coverage.

Many other countries in the world are like this.

So have they been robbed of great boxers too?

Comment

Well I'm from the UK with a population of 60 million, a 1 million people go to live football games every week, and it played at a competitive level every week by around another million, through local leagues, schools.

Kids play it parks, in playground, on the street.

All you need is a ball to play.

All the focus goes into football being the national sport of the country. Boxing not even 0.1% of the coverage.

Many other countries in the world are like this.

So have they been robbed of great boxers too?
              Again, I can't speak for most of those countries and how much of a fabric boxing was to their culture. The history of boxing in the U.S.. well it was the top sport at one point.

It's been slowly crushed over the 80's to 2012 by basketball and the top full contact sport the NFL. Especially when you look at the disproportionate amount of African Americans playing football especially. Nobody is going to tell me this large pool of black athletic freak flooding one sport in particular isn't having an affect on pugilism when the premiere weight class HW is spotlighting out of shapers and fat asses

Comment

Again, I can't speak for most of those countries and how much of a fabric boxing was to their culture. The history of boxing in the U.S.. well it was the top sport at one point.

It's been slowly crushed over the 80's to 2012 by basketball and the top full contact sport the NFL. Especially when you look at the disproportionate amount of African Americans playing football especially. Nobody is going to tell me this large pool of black athletic freak flooding one sport in particular isn't having an affect on pugilism when the premiere weight class HW is spotlighting out of shapers and fat asses
                Maybe that is why USA dominated the sport in the past, but it not an excuse for not performing now.

Many other countries have national sports, that much more of the population play than American Football is in America. Boxing is also not as popular in these countries as it is in America. How many athletes are taking away from boxing here?

The popularity of pro boxing has spread to new countries, which in tern make it more difficult for America to compete.

This argument is much the same as the guy who say if I trained every day, had the best trainers and studied boxing tactics and skills I could have been a great boxer. But the fact is you didn't and the ones that did did.

Don't make excuses for what you or America could have been when it didn't make the effort.

Comment

http://www.therichest.org/sports/top...ts-teams-2011/

Football dominates here again, top 3 Real Madrid, Barcelona and Manchester Utd, The Dalas Cowboys scrapes in at No.5

there are very few true HW playing european football
                  most of them would box in the weight classes
                  obviously their talents would add to the talent pool there, but we are talking exclusively about the HW division

the guys in the NBA average 6'9" (taller than vitali klitscko)

in the nfl they average 265 lbs

thats the argument
                  if you dont get it you havnt been around the sports enough
                  that's where the talented big men in the united states are.

key word BIG

european football and soccer is probably the largest collection of athletic talent on the planet. i agree with you.
                  they are not exclusively HW

in the NFL and the NBA the guys are almost exclusively HW

christ this gets old
                  what the hell dont you guys get?

show me your sports that soak up purely HW athletic talent from a young age that reach a scale of schoolastic and then professional level basketball and football
                  show them to me

Last edited by New England; 01-25-2012, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Maybe that is why USA dominated the sport in the past, but it not an excuse for not performing now.
                    Who said anything about dominating?

Mofos here won't even take up boxing now because it takes a backseat to the other sports because of the money/glamour.

that's the point. always been the point.

Boxing has a dinosaur business model to boot.
                    Last edited by Haglerwins; 01-25-2012, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Who said anything about dominating?

Mofos here won't even take up boxing now because it takes a backseat to the other sports because of the money/glamour.

that's the point. always been the point.

Boxing has a dinosaur business model to boot.
                      And what makes you think almost every other countries is better. Infact it is worse in other countries.

This theory that America is hard done by because athletes go into other sports is bogus, because, it is the same for every other country, and for most of those countries boxing takes more of a backseat than in America.

Comment

Working...
                      X