• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martinez wants to fight Ward, and vice versa

MARTINEZ WANTS TO FIGHT WARD, AND VICE VERSA
    by Lem Satterfield
    Dec 30th, 2011

RING middleweight champion Sergio Martinez said on Thursday afternoon that he would be open to facing RING super middleweight champ Andre Ward at a catchweight.

The 27-year-old Ward (25-0, 13 knockouts) told ******.com on Thursday evening that he would jump at the opportunity.

"My response to a matchup with Sergio Martinez is pretty short and sweet," said Ward, who is promoted by Dan Goossen. "I like it. Hopefully the fight can be made."

Ward's response came in the wake of assertions made by the 36-year-old Martinez (48-2-2, 27 KOs) during a press conference in his native Argentina. Martinez also renounced his WBC "Diamond" belt and indicated that he might pursue a relationship with Showtime over HBO, which he feels has mistreated him.

Contracted to Showtime, Ward defeated RING No. 3-rated, super middleweight Carl Froch (28-2, 20 KOs) on Dec. 17, adding Froch's WBC belt to the WBA crown he already owned and also capturing the network's Super Six World Boxing Classic Championship Cup.

Some media outlets already have honored Ward's effort against Froch as a Fighter-of-The-Year-caliber unanimous decision victory.

Martinez said that he would consider fighting Ward, who is contracted to Showtime, "at a catchweight," according to his advisor, Sampson Lewkowicz.

"I don't know about the 168 pounds, but it's an option," said Martinez. "That would be a spectacular fight."

During the press conference, Martinez expressed disappointment in what he feels is the WBC's failure to follow through with last week's mandate that WBC middleweight beltholder Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. face him in his next bout.

Chavez will instead defend his belt against Marco Antonio Rubio on HBO on Feb. 4 at Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas. Martinez is coming off an 11th-round knockout of Darren Barker in October while Chavez scored fifth-round stoppage of Peter Manfredo Jr. last month.

Martinez is scheduled to face RING No. 3-rated middleweight Matthew Macklin (28-3, 19 KOs) on March 17 at New York's Madison Square Garden.

Ring TV.com

I was about to give Martinez credit until it said "catchweight".

Sergio, you're not big enough of a star/draw to command catchweight's. If Ward could make millions off of fighting you, then you would have something to talk about.

Catchweights usually happens when one guy is a Cash cow (I.E. Delahoya-Hopkins at 156, Cotto-Pac, Margarito-Pac, etc,.). You want another Division title, face the guy at 168.

Comment

Not at all surprised, he's brought it up before. It's a win win situation too, still, Martinez doesn't have much of a shot. I hate to say mismatch but that's exactly what it is, we're talking about a small MW who already has his work cut out for him at MW, facing the best SMW...

Comment

WTF Martinez, what's with all of the catchweights? Do you want any credit for your possible fights at all?

Comment

Originally posted by Cupocity303 View Post

Sergio, you're not big enough of a star/draw to command catchweight's. If Ward could make millions off of fighting you, then you would have something to talk about.

Catchweights usually happens when one guy is a Cash cow (I.E. Delahoya-Hopkins at 156, Cotto-Pac, Margarito-Pac, etc,.). You want another Division title, face the guy at 168.
          Diaz Malignaggi was a catchweight. Definitely doesnt have to be for stars haha.

Also if this fight were to happen, it should be in Oakland. The worse thing for this fight would be for no one to see it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cupocity303 View Post

Martinez fought at 147 and then 154 for most of his career.

Andre Ward has never fought below 160.

The size difference warrants a catch-weight.

Star power really has nothing to do with it.

Catch-weight's have been around for a long time

Comment

Originally posted by ThePhantom5 View Post

damn, took the words right out of my mouth (or should i say fingers?). martinez is a rather small MW who's already talking about trying to make 150 lbs, moving up to SMW or some catchweight past 160 to fight the best in that division would be crazy. i could see it happening though if it the time and money is right for them. ward would be such a heavy favorite though, martinez would have to put on the performance of his life to come out on top of this one.

Comment

Yeah, he entered the ring weighing 166 against Barker, that right there should say it all. I wouldn't know but looking at Ward I would think he can safely get rid of 2-3 extra pounds. Still, Ward is at the top of his game right now and he's just above Martinez on my personal P4P list, so taking all that into consideration, I can't see Sergio calling the shots here.

I can somewhat agree with the bold, but damn, it's still a mismatch.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominicano Soy View Post
                  Yeah, he entered the ring weighing 166 against Barker, that right there should say it all. I wouldn't know but looking at Ward I would think he can safely get rid of 2-3 extra pounds. Still, Ward is at the top of his game right now and he's just above Martinez on my personal P4P list, so taking all that into consideration, I can't see Sergio calling the shots here.

I can somewhat agree with the bold, but damn, it's still a mismatch.
                  Sergio might hit harder.

I would lobe to see the fight.

164 or 165 sounds about right.

Speeds close.

I got Sergio #3 P4P

Ward #4

I would favor Ward.

Comment

Sergio might hit harder.

I would lobe to see the fight.

164 or 165 sounds about right.

Speeds close.

I got Sergio #3 P4P

Ward #4

I would favor Ward.
                    Ward's inside game, body punching, with Martinez already having stamina issues...I could definitely see Ward stopping him. Maybe Martinez makes it a bit competitive, though I doubt that. I wish he would fight at 154 pounds, that way HBO can contemplate the possibility of him facing Cotto or Floyd, those match ups seem less viable when he's fighting at MW. Lara would have been a great opponent. Well I'm going off topic now...

Comment

Working...
                    X