Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why has Roger Mayweather never won trainer of the year?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

theyre scared at the thought of the speech he would give
    'ya'll don't know **** about boxing, mofos blah blah blah'

Comment

I think "Roger only has one fighter" is not a good argument as to why Roger hasn't won TOTY. I believe Virgil Hunter, Andre Ward's trainer, is this year's trainer of the year and that I know of, Hunter only has one fighter, at least only one known fighter. Ward also has two good dominating wins over prime top fighters this year, which that's why he deserves the FOTY award.

Floyd beat Hatton and De La Hoya in two high profile fights. Even won FOTY for it. If you are not to fond of Roger and his credentials, that's okay, but he should have won it in 2007 IMO, along with his "lone" fighter.

Originally posted by Forza View Post
      Roger is a great trainer but has only 1 fighter. But then again, he basically taught floyd everything. They been together since floyd was like 13-14, floyd sr only taught him the basics then went off to prison. So roger may only have 1 fighter, but that 1 fighter he trained is also p4p #1 boxer in the world.

Did coach merc deserve a trainer of the year because of RJJ? No, because RJJ is the only successful fighter he trained.
      Very few fighters even know what the basics are.

It's easy for us to just call it "the basics" here sitting down on our chairs, but the basics is something a lot of these fighters leave at home and don't bring it to the ring with them. I think Sr taught Floyd more than the basics, Sr gave Jr his style. Stylistically, they're twins in the ring. And we know who before the other. Floyd can reject Sr all he wants, any one who sees Sr fight will know where Floyd got his style from.

Comment

Originally posted by Dedication View Post
        Roger Mayweather should have won ESPN's trainer of the year in 2007. But instead was pipped to the post by Enzo Calzaghe (who won it because Joe Calzaghe beat Mikkel Kessler, Gavin Rees who beat Billy Smith, Who? I agree, and Enzo Macranelli). Close in second was Jack Lowe.

It should also be mentioned that Roger Mayweather was never mentioned as a contender for the award by ESPN in 2007. Go figure!

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slu...erofyear121907
        If he didn't win it in 2007 when Floyd beat Hatton and DLH and won FOTY, and in 1998 when Floyd fought 6 times including wins over top SFW's G. Hernandez and Angel Manfredy, also nabbing the FOTY in that year..then Roger is never gonna win it.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
          If he didn't win it in 2007 when Floyd beat Hatton and DLH and won FOTY, and in 1998 when Floyd fought 6 times including wins over top SFW's G. Hernandez and Angel Manfredy, also nabbing the FOTY in that year..then Roger is never gonna win it.
          He was under his dad in those fights though

Comment

Originally posted by SekondzOut View Post
            this^^^^^^^^^^^^

those awards are political...popularity contests....nothing more nothing less.....anybody who doesn't like the taste of dick and balls know Roach is NOT the best trainer....Manny does his OWN thing in the ring.....Buboy does more talking than Frauddy...smh...anyways, Roger and Frauddy BOTH are fighting and living with illnesses....but here's the thing,....Roger gets clowned for the way he talks...cats seem to find the wisdom to say "I can'T understand a word he says" blah blah blah.....but the serpent Frauddy Roach got clowned by Bam Bam Rios and the whole world went "HATE BAM BAM" crazy ....GTFOH, Roger deserves more respect from the machine...yea, the machine!!!!....certain dudes know whats up!!
            roger should get more respect from the machine...keeping it strictly 100, just for a f'ing award, i don't see why roger has to train x y z fighters when his full time job is training the #1 p4p fighter and top cash cow right now....me, i'd rather have the top fighter/cash cow solely on my resume, than 2 or 3 titleholders...fmj always says roger is the best trainer in the world after a fight, and i've seen plenty times where roger would give fmj instruction in the corner, and fmj carries it out....that suggests to me that roger isn't there for a paycheck carrying fmj's spit bucket..i know dudes got jokes about roger talking and all, but i bet if he called anyone and said come be a part of my camp, you'd be sitting there hanging onto every stuttering word that comes out of dude's mouth...lol

Comment

Originally posted by Born2Live View Post
              Roach got it, he's got numerous world champions, this year Khan defended his titles twice, Pacquiao defended twice & Chavez defended his world title twice.
              Against whom for each of those fighters? If we take credit away from Mayweather's victories against Mosley, Marquez, and Judah, what does that leave for Khan and Pacquiao? Again, whom was it that Chavez Jr. beat again? I have to disagree with your statement.

Comment

Originally posted by SekondzOut View Post
                this^^^^^^^^^^^^

those awards are political...popularity contests....nothing more nothing less.....anybody who doesn't like the taste of dick and balls know Roach is NOT the best trainer....Manny does his OWN thing in the ring.....Buboy does more talking than Frauddy...smh...anyways, Roger and Frauddy BOTH are fighting and living with illnesses....but here's the thing,....Roger gets clowned for the way he talks...cats seem to find the wisdom to say "I can'T understand a word he says" blah blah blah.....but the serpent Frauddy Roach got clowned by Bam Bam Rios and the whole world went "HATE BAM BAM" crazy ....GTFOH, Roger deserves more respect from the machine...yea, the machine!!!!....certain dudes know whats up!!
                Outstanding post.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.0pal View Post
                  He was under his dad in those fights though
                  Which fights?

I know he was with Roger in 07.

And I know Roger was with Floyd in 2-3 of those fights in '98.

Comment

cause he doesnt deserve it , period!

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
                      so shouldn't floyd sr get trainer of the year because he's the one that taught him his style.
                      Floyd Sr or Roger. Either way one of them should have gotten a little credit as trainer of the year at some point during Floyd's career.

Comment

Working...
                      X