Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why has Roger Mayweather never won trainer of the year?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The truth is that if Roger never trained he wouldn't be missed in the history of boxing because he only trains one champion level fighter who only fights once every year and a half

Roach on the other hand had at least 6 world title fights with 3 different fighters in 3 different weight classes this year alone

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
      Floyd is not just naturally gifted, he is a technical marvel as well. Someone deserves credit for teaching him those skills.....
      so shouldn't floyd sr get trainer of the year because he's the one that taught him his style. roger is just a babysitter more than anything. leonard ellerbe deserves trainer of the year as much as roger.

Comment

Originally posted by SekondzOut View Post
        this^^^^^^^^^^^^

those awards are political...popularity contests....nothing more nothing less.....anybody who doesn't like the taste of dick and balls know Roach is NOT the best trainer....Manny does his OWN thing in the ring.....Buboy does more talking than Frauddy...smh...anyways, Roger and Frauddy BOTH are fighting and living with illnesses....but here's the thing,....Roger gets clowned for the way he talks...cats seem to find the wisdom to say "I can'T understand a word he says" blah blah blah.....but the serpent Frauddy Roach got clowned by Bam Bam Rios and the whole world went "HATE BAM BAM" crazy ....GTFOH, Roger deserves more respect from the machine...yea, the machine!!!!....certain dudes know whats up!!
        What?? Even if you took roach out of the picture entirely there would still be at least 3 more deserving trainers than roger in any given year.

Comment

cuz noone can understand a damn thing he says

Comment

Some years now Floyd rarely fights. What Uncle Rog does when Floyd doesn't fight is nothing big. He trains people but has no one good. Floyd Jr is a talent and Roger needs at least a few more names to shine.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
              I think he's good enough a trainer to atleast have won the award one of his active years.

He's a world class trainer IMO.

Perhaps 2007.
              what other champions has he made? what fighters has he trained towards a championship belt?

Comment

He def should have gotten it the year Floyd beat Diego and 2007.

Comment

ME personally I think a trainer should have more than one top fighter with a superb year to become trainer of the year. Who else is Roger training that is at the top of the their division and made an impact.
                  Example: Robert Garcia this year had Donaire and Rios who had a superb year where as Freddie Roach's fighters have not had the best year.

Comment

I haven't gone through the whole thread, but I'm sure I won't be the first to mention that Roger is clearly hurt by the perception and possible truth that Floyd is his own trainer. It also doesn't help that I couldn't tell you one fighter besides Floyd that he trains.

Comment

Roger Mayweather should have won ESPN's trainer of the year in 2007. But instead was pipped to the post by Enzo Calzaghe (who won it because Joe Calzaghe beat Mikkel Kessler, Gavin Rees who beat Billy Smith, Who? I agree, and Enzo Macranelli). Close in second was Jack Lowe.

It should also be mentioned that Roger Mayweather was never mentioned as a contender for the award by ESPN in 2007. Go figure!

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slu...erofyear121907

Comment

Working...
                      X