No announcement yet.

who's greater joe calzaghe or winky wright

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    Whether you think Kessler is his best win or not, I still can't see how it's significantly greater.

Hopkins > Mosley 1
    Kessler > Mosley 2 (Debatable)

And the rest of their wins are pretty much on par or debatable.

Again, not seeing the significant amount difference in Calzaghe's resume.

Calzaghe has the title defenses, but most of them are worthless.
    If his second best win is beating a fighter he just drubbed a couple months before then this debate is over. I'd give that as much credence as Mayweather rematching Mosley and beating him twice. I don't view a repeat of what you just did (actually a weaker performance) to be noteworthy. And I definitely don't view it as better than fighting a young, hungry champion you've never faced before.

Comment

• Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
      I think we're looking at this all wrong. I don't view Mikkel Kessler as Calzaghe's best win. However, Mosley's is Shane's. So whether we agree or not on which is better (and I do believe it is debatable), you should be comparing the Mosley win to the Hopkins win. Wright loses by UD there. Kessler, Calzaghe's second best win, trumps Wright's second best win, which is...? And then we continue down the line. And even at the bottom, as you yourself note, Calzaghe's title defenses separates him there as well.
      the big difference is winky won comprehensively while calzaghe eeked a controversial decision and barely connected on any clean punches(usually you lose when this happens except in this rare case hmmmm)

title defenses against unraked bums means nothing. it actually shows how much of a fraud calzaghe is more than anything.

Comment

I wouldn't say his resume at 135 is pretty good. Holliday and Leija? Throw in Gomez maybe. He won a title and made several defenses, never facing any of the other top fighters in the division. But we're not comparing Calzaghe to Mosley though.
        Right we're not, but you're using Mosley as a determining factor in why Calzaghe is greater than Wright by saying he's not as significant as Hokpins, but at the time Wright fought Mosley, Mosley was the guy. At the time Calzaghe fought Hopkins, he was 43.

Comment

• Originally posted by davis828 View Post
          Right we're not, but you're using Mosley as a determining factor in why Calzaghe is greater than Wright by saying he's not as significant as Hokpins, but at the time Wright fought Mosley, Mosley was the guy. At the time Calzaghe fought Hopkins, he was 43.
          I'm not using Mosley as the determining factor. I'm looking at their respective careers. And I don't believe beating Mosley is better than beating Hopkins, 43 or not. He was still quite formidable and elite. ****, he was probably rated higher than Mosley at the time lol.

Comment

If his second best win is beating a fighter he just drubbed a couple months before then this debate is over.
            I can definitely agree with that, but I think Mosley/Hopkins cancel out, despite Hopkins being far removed from his prime.

Comment

I'm not using Mosley as the determining factor. I'm looking at their respective careers. And I don't believe beating Mosley is better than beating Hopkins, 43 or not. He was still quite formidable and elite. ****, he was probably rated higher than Mosley at the time lol.
              I hear you on that. We'll see it differently then haha! I just don't think Calzaghe's resume is better than Wright's, especially with The Contender roster and RJJ to round out some of his last scraps.

Really though, I like the Jeff Lacy win a lot because I remember at the time thinking that Lacy was just going to keep bullying the division. At the time... that is. hahaha!

Comment

• Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
                absolutely, he killed their legends
                he killed my legend

Comment

• Originally posted by davis828 View Post
                  I hear you on that. We'll see it differently then haha! I just don't think Calzaghe's resume is better than Wright's, especially with The Contender roster and RJJ to round out some of his last scraps.
                  Calzaghe's resume isn't on par with his peers (Hopkins, Toney, Jones, etc.) but I do think it gets underrated. Sheika and Brewer weren't worthless wins, they were pretty solid at that time. He beat (albeit controversially) a very formidable Robin Reid - a fighter I enjoyed very much during his brief reign. Lacy was completely overrated and Calzaghe did what he should - crapped on him. Kessler, a solid fellow champ. I'm missing a name or two but after that you and Iron are right, the rest are scraps. But that is more than enough to rate him above Wright.

Comment

If his second best win is beating a fighter he just drubbed a couple months before then this debate is over. I'd give that as much credence as Mayweather rematching Mosley and beating him twice. I don't view a repeat of what you just did (actually a weaker performance) to be noteworthy. And I definitely don't view it as better than fighting a young, hungry champion you've never faced before.
                    Why not?

Ezzard Charles' second win over Archie Moore is one of his best wins. It is Archie Moore, after all, whether it be the first time he beat him or the 12th.

Archie Moore's 4th win over Harold Johnson is up there with one of this best wins. Despite beating him 3 times prior and beating the likes of Marshall, Bivins and Maxim.

Prime (or close to prime) Mosley is a prime Mosley. Of course that's his second best win.

If Calzaghe decided to take the rematch against Hopkins and won would Hopkins 1 & 2 not be his best 2 wins?

He can't just not be crediting for beating a HOF'er close to his prime the second time. Surely that can't just be deleted.

Mosley x2 compared to Kessler and Hopkins.

The rest of their respective career's are pretty much a long lsit of wins against average fighters (Offical wins).

I can't see the significant difference there.

Comment

• Originally posted by daggum View Post
                      he killed my legend

the wind from the windmill was enough for Manfredo, Calz is just that good

Comment

Working...
                      X