Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joe Cooper - Worst Referee Performance of the Year?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
    He did. He said after Khan had pushed Petersons' head down once and shoved him off (all of which are against the rules and perfectly legit to deduct points) "Khan, last time. Last time Khan" yelling it in his face. Go watch the fight again.

People have seriously got to get over this. Khan broke the rules over and over and over again throughout the whole fight, despite repeated warnings and then a point deduction.

HOw ****ing hard is it to understand? Lamont wasn't coming in with his head dangerously. It wasn't against the rules the way he was fighting. Khan was pushing down, not because Peterson has his head down but because that's the only way for him to stop Peterson punching inside. However, it is against the rules and you cannot do it.

There is no grey area and it's not some kind of favouritism. Read closely people: It's against the rules to push your opponent or push and hold their head down. Is it really so hard to understand?

As always, you're on point.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckToothed View Post
      It was more like he MADE them fight on the inside, to favor Lamont. Khan pushing off to create space was a big No No to this ref.
      That's because it's against the ****ing rules moron. Can't some people at least learn the basic boxing rules before talking as if you know them. You cannot push someone away. Before you say "Lots of fighters do it!" like a whiney *****, no they don't. Lots of fighters do not use an open handed shove with all their strength that nearly throws the opponent off their feet.

Comment

this thread proves people have no idea what they are even watching. peterson was holding and hitting? khan would lock up petersons arm and peterson would hit him with his free hand. khan was the one trying to hold but peterson didn't let him and now its somehow flipped into peterson holding and hitting? you are just used to pansy fighters letting their opponents hold them until the ref breaks them. peterson didn't let that happen. pay attention during the fight please!

Comment

Aside from the knockdown, which is understandable; Cooper called a great fight, he gave Khan plenty of warnings.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee Keepz View Post
            Aside from the knockdown, which is understandable; Cooper called a great fight, he gave Khan plenty of warnings.
            I agree. It was a great fight and the ref played a part in that. He allowed Peterson to do his inside work and he gave Khan plenty of warnings. It was strange to see 2 deductions for shoving though.

Comment

Originally posted by P4P Opinion View Post
              I can't think of a thing he did right.

* Pre Fight - takes more time shouting his lame catch phrase than giving instructions to the two fighters

* Round 1 - puts himself in a bad position and trips up Peterson.

* Round 1 - scores a knockdown against Peterson incorrectly.

* Round 7 - deducts a point from Khan having not given a hard warning about pushing.

* Round 12 - deducts a second point from Khan, again without a hard warning.

* All Fight Long - inconsistent with pushing. It's ok for Peterson to push Khan against the ropes. It's ok for Peterson to hold and hit Lennox Lewis style. It's not ok for Khan to push Peterson.

Peterson was awesome and I don't begrudge him the victory, but it's a real shame that those two point deductions decided the fight. The best referees are barely noticed, except in tough call situations, and Joe Cooper seemed to want the attention. Terrible performance.
              By rd 7 Khan had been warned about hald a dozen times about pushing, the ref is the ref, and by rd 12, he'd been warned several times about hitting on the break.

The ref is in charge of thhe fight, what do you expect him to do when a fighter is flagrantly abusing the certain amount of leeway a fighter always gets??

Comment

Originally posted by edgarg View Post
                By rd 7 Khan had been warned about hald a dozen times about pushing, the ref is the ref, and by rd 12, he'd been warned several times about hitting on the break.

The ref is in charge of thhe fight, what do you expect him to do when a fighter is flagrantly abusing the certain amount of leeway a fighter always gets??
                I don't recall Khan hitting on the break, nor being warned for doing so. I remember the ref telling the fighters to "fight their way out". That's what Khan did. I don't see the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by welcometosaigon View Post
                  I challenge someone to find me a worse, more corrupt reffing job out there than the pathetic display from Mora.
                  The worst refs I've seen were the one who reff'd Emmanuel Augustus-Burton 1, and Freddie Norwood-Smoke Gainer.

Oh and I forgot the prize pippin, the ref in the Jack Johnson- Fireman Flynn fight. Flynn was grabbing Johnson with both hands and baltantly butting him, not once, but 4-5 times at go. As if he were throwing "head" combinations. It took 9 rds before the ref DQ'd him.

Comment

Nah mora was definitely the worst ref this year...

Comment

Originally posted by edgarg View Post
                      The worst refs I've seen were the one who reff'd Emmanuel Augustus-Burton 1, and Freddie Norwood-Smoke Gainer.

Oh and I forgot the prize pippin, the ref in the Jack Johnson- Fireman Flynn fight. Flynn was grabbing Johnson with both hands and baltantly butting him, not once, but 4-5 times at go. As if he were throwing "head" combinations. It took 9 rds before the ref DQ'd him.
                      In the Norwood-Gainer fight, the action had beated up with both fighters blatantly hitting low, but in a clinch, the ref caught and held Norwood back, so Gainer just let him have it, right on the cup. Norwood went down, and the ref counted him out, then continued the count to 20 and waved the fight off. When Norwood saw he was counted out, he jumped up and wanted to continue, which shows that those cups, made of either steel or hard plastic, really work.

I don't think Hopkins saw that fight, or indeed many other "actors", but if they had, they'd think of a different way to get a DQ, like a "dislocated" shoulder. On second thoughts, maybe Hopkins DID see that fight........

Comment

Working...
                      X