Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Steward: Cotto Rematch is a Tough Fight For Pacquiao

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a huge Cotto fan but Miguel hasn't proven that he could be competitive against either Pac or Floyd at this stage of the game. Maybe if he can keep the momentum going and build off this win against a Canelo or Kirkland type than he could justify a fight against hopefully a Pac vs Floyd winner or even a Sergio vs Jcc Jr if they pull either fight off. Imo he should stay away from 160 and prove to be a top Jr Middle by taking out Canelo and he would be in line against the big 3.

Comment

No disrespect to Cotto but some in here have lost their damn mind. I'm glad that Cotto was able to look good against Margarito but do some of you guys that are hyping Cotto up know what you guys are doing? You're comparing Margarito to Manny. Do you know how dumb that is? I mean, Manny didn't destroy JMM like everyone thought he would but people don't realize how ****ing good JMM is and how he has the perfect style to give Manny problems. I respect Cotto's skills but fighting Margarito is not like fighting Manny and thats what some of you guys are doing, comparing them like they are the same fighter. thats ******ed

Comment

Looking at his rematch against Margarito, I was real impressed by Cotto's change in strategy. He clinched when he needed to, got off the ropes when he needed to and even bullied Margarito a bit in the clinches. Good improvements by Cotto.

But let's be honest here. Pac is not Margarito. He is not some slow, face forward plodder to takes hits to the face to land his punches. Cotto can change his strategy for a rematch with Pac but the only thing that would do is help him survive to see the final bell.

Sorry, but a win against Marg doesn't convince me that Cotto is ready for a rematch with Pac.

Comment

Originally posted by 2stepshep View Post
          Looking at his rematch against Margarito, I was real impressed by Cotto's change in strategy. He clinched when he needed to, got off the ropes when he needed to and even bullied Margarito a bit in the clinches. Good improvements by Cotto.

But let's be honest here. Pac is not Margarito. He is not some slow, face forward plodder to takes hits to the face to land his punches. Cotto can change his strategy for a rematch with Pac but the only thing that would do is help him survive to see the final bell.

Sorry, but a win against Marg doesn't convince me that Cotto is ready for a rematch with Pac.
          I disagree. I like Cotto but, I wasn't impressed with his win over cheato. Hell, I wasn't impressed with his win over Mayorga. Yes, he made some changes but that fight had an uncanny resemblance to the first. I honestly don't think he could beat pacroid. He probably has a better chance against Floyd just because Floyd is no where's near as busy as pac which would give Cotto the opportunity to work, problem is Floyd is gonna capitalize off of every mistake. Catch 22.

Comment

Of course Steward will say that, but it's hard to convince people that he will be competitive against Pacquiao. Unless he wants to avoid Chavez Jr or Martinez..The only fight left for Pacquiao is Floyd as simple as that...

Comment

Yo quick question, how many fighters can beat manny with out a corner? Who was in Cotto's corner for that fight? his trainer gave up around the 2nd or 3rd round, didn't his father even step in the corner to kiss him on his forehead?

Cotto is a dam good fighter - how well on a consistent basis do you look good against elite opposition? Cotto has ducked no one, and he even rematched someone he did not have to. sometimes your punches have no effect, and you have to got to war and out wit your opponent - If he fights pac again, he will beat him - period! Cotto got his mojo back, watch him really take it to the nxt level - class act

Comment

No it is not...sorry Steward. People are getting all up in a roar over that win last Saturday, there isn't a need to. Marg being even more shot and having a bad eye was the big difference, Cotto fought the same way he fought the first one, period. He does not have as much power at WW and even less at JMW. Also he still ran and backpeddled the whole time. If he fights Manny again, it will be the same result. I like Cotto but people are reading way too much into this win over Marg. I think he has very limited options at WW and JMW to be honest. He is not beating Kirkland, Angulo, Manny, Floyd, Martinez, etc. He can get a good win against JCC Jr. I think. I don't think he can beat Canelo either to be honest.

Comment

I give kudos to Cotto for the remarkable comeback....coming back from a lost in boxing isn't a easy thing to do. But I still say Pac's too much for Cotto--the moment Pac blast Cotto on the chin, Cotto's gonna revert back to his old self of trying to bully lil Pac and that's when it's gonna be all she wrote for him.

Again a fight with Floyd--which I doubt Floyd even wants to take at this stage in his career--makes more sense from both a strategic stand-point and a fan pleaser.

Back in day, when Cotto was at his "peak" right before the Shane fight, I felt Cotto had a style that would give Floyd a lot of problems--maybe even upset him. Now I think it just would be an intriging match-up.

Comment

Boxing fans, this is where you all unite and say "NO THANK YOU."

Let them save the months of sending out feelers and drumming up interest.

Comment

Originally posted by QS2 View Post
                      Cotto is NO Marquez.

Cotto said he couldn't see pac's punches in the post fight interview.
                      adding 10 extra pounds not gonna help him see any better
                      and besides Cotto is SHOT.
                      "Cotto in No Marquez" Amen to that. Cotto will lose to Pacquiao regardless of the weight class.

Comment

Working...
                      X