Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just watched the Chisora-Helenius fight... Wait. What?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lucky Jim View Post
    I'd like to see Wlad honor his previous commitment to fight Chisora, and forget about Mormeck.
    I simply don't understand Klit fans wanting to rush opponents like Chisora into fighting them. Vitaly didn't get a title shot till his 25th fight, Wlad till his 36th and he was an Olympic gold medalist. Why the rush to make these less talented guys a title defense before they have any real experience?

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
      I simply don't understand Klit fans wanting to rush opponents like Chisora into fighting them. Vitaly didn't get a title shot till his 25th fight, Wlad till his 36th and he was an Olympic gold medalist. Why the rush to make these less talented guys a title defense before they have any real experience?
      Chisora already signed to fight Wlad, and if he took the same approach against Wlad that he did against Helenius, would cause him real problems. As for being ready, the guy who takes his chance to do something historic, as opposed to just talking about doing it, is the one who is ready. Most people here didn't think Chisora was ready for Helenius, either.

Chisora is owed a fight by Wladimir. He's certainly more formidable than Mormeck, who not even Klitschko fans want to see fighting Wladimir.
      Last edited by Lucky Jim; 12-06-2011, 01:54 AM.

Comment

Helenius came in the same shape he always does and there lies the problem. When his size couldn't wear his opponent down and allow him to take over he had no plan B.

I've said this for awhile now...these fighters like Helenius, Chisora etc., etc., being proposed as defenses for Wlad are just not ready. They need experience and 16 or 17 fights just isn't going to cut the mustard at the highest level.
        Helenius needs to improve his conditioning. One look at him tells me that he needs to do some things differently re diet and exercise, just as Wlad and Vitali had to make changes to improve their endurance by taking up swimming. Helenius obviously has more going for him than mere size, or he'd be Julius Long instead of a rising heavyweight. Helenius was having a problem with the fast pace Chisora set and was able to maintain throughout the fight.

I'd like to see Helenius jettison Wegner, but I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

All that being said, it's funny how extreme boxing fans are. You'd think Helenius had gotten knocked out cold from the reaction of some here.
        It was not a hiccup on the scale of what Lennox Lewis and Wladimir experienced.

Instead, it was a fairly close fight, with Chisora edging it, IMO. And it was an excellent and exciting heavyweight contest.

Comment

Chisora already signed to fight Wlad, and if he took the same approach against Wlad that he did against Helenius, would cause him real problems.

Chisora is owed a fight by Wladimir. He's certainly more formidable than Mormeck, who not even Klitschko fans want to see fighting Wladimir.
          Chisora is clearly not ready for either Klit. If he were he would have just toyed with the MUCH less talented Helenius. Why would ANY fan want to see Wlad fight a guy with little experience and no top 10 ranking?

Call me crazy, but it's painfully obvious Klit fans WANT there idols to make fights with fighters who haven't fully developed their skills thru experience. This is tantamount to putting Wlad in the ring with Lennox Lewis while he was still developing against Everett Martin...hardly fair or competitive.

Comment

Helenius needs to improve his conditioning. One look at him tells me that he needs to do some things differently re diet and exercise, just as Wlad and Vitali had to make changes to improve their endurance by taking up swimming. Helenius obviously has more going for him than mere size, or he'd be Julius Long instead of a rising heavyweight. Helenius was having a problem with the fast pace Chisora set and was able to maintain throughout the fight.

I'd like to see Helenius jettison Wegner, but I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

All that being said, it's funny how extreme boxing fans are. You'd think Helenius had gotten knocked out cold from the reaction of some here.
            It was not a hiccup on the scale of what Lennox Lewis and Wladimir experienced.

Instead, it was a fairly close fight, with Chisora edging it, IMO. And it was an excellent and exciting heavyweight contest.

It was a good fight. But it was two inexperienced guys in there with one showing not just weak stamina but a lack of real skills and the ability to go to a plan B. Bottom line is people are hyping fighters based on their size, not on their skill sets.

Comment

Chisora is clearly not ready for either Klit. If he were he would have just toyed with the MUCH less talented Helenius. Why would ANY fan want to see Wlad fight a guy with little experience and no top 10 ranking?

Call me crazy, but it's painfully obvious Klit fans WANT there idols to make fights with fighters who haven't fully developed their skills thru experience. This is tantamount to putting Wlad in the ring with Lennox Lewis while he was still developing against Everett Martin...hardly fair or competitive.
              Yes, you're crazy. You don't argue logically -- you just push your hobby horse arguments in every thread.

I'd still rather see Wlad fight Chisora, who he broke a previous agreement with to fight Haye (and I give Chisora right now a much better chance at beating Wlad than Haye ever had) than Mormeck.

You apparently would rather see Wlad fight Mormeck. That's your perogative, but I don't want to see the fight, personally.

So sue me.
              Last edited by Lucky Jim; 12-06-2011, 10:36 AM.

Comment

It was a good fight. But it was two inexperienced guys in there with one showing not just weak stamina but a lack of real skills and the ability to go to a plan B. Bottom line is people are hyping fighters based on their size, not on their skill sets.
                People were "hyping" Helenius because he knocked out three former world champions. Yes, they were faded, but it was still three good wins. I don't know anyone who hypes fighters merely based on their size. If they did, they would be hyping Julius Long, Tye Fields, Michael Grant, Goofi Whitaker, Ray Austin, Nicolai Valuev, Sascha Dimitrenko, and so on. I don't hear any of these guys being hyped by anyone.

Some fighters with size happen to also have skill, and those fighters receive attention. Helenius has shown some positive attributes--he's heavy-handed with an ability to close when he gets someone hurt--but Chisora fought with an excellent strategy that muted Helenius's strengths and forced him into a pace he was uncomfortable with.

You can say that Tyson Fury is a big fighter who is hyped, but he is hyped in the UK, and they will hype any heavyweight they think might be a star. And they've given up on Haye, so Fury is next in line.

Size without talent just makes one a big tomato can. But you are obsessed with size in the heavyweight division, which is a bit silly as it is the heavyweight division. It's where the biggest boys are supposed to be.

If that makes you uncomfortable, maybe you should lobby for a super-heavyweight division.
                Last edited by Lucky Jim; 12-06-2011, 10:39 AM.

Comment

I'm not usually a Klitschko defender, but in this case I'm going to stand up for them. The fact of the matter is that the heavyweight division is so devoid of talent that guys like Chisora are the only vaguely worthy competition. The Klitschko brothers have to fight regularly and they have used up virtually all of the experienced contenders with the exception of Povetkin (who has as much chance as Chisora). They need credible opponents to fight and prospects are about all that's left. Not that I'm looking to **** on a Hall-of-Famer, but Larry Holmes had a pretty similar experience in the 80s. Check out his record and you'll see a lot of undefeated, but inexperienced fighters.

Comment

Hell-anus got a proper beat down. The EBU need to investigate that decision right now. That kind of hometown decision discredits boxing.

Comment

No, just no. The most any credible observer can give to Helenius is four rounds, and that is giving him the benefit of the doubt. The fight wasn't close, it was a farcical, bordering on corrupt decision.

Comment

Working...
                      X